Your job in a band

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:59 pm

Drummers don't produce music for a reason. Example Phil Collins.

Your funny man, I do like a bunch of his stuff though. A Lefty too.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
MuzZle
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:02 pm

I took it upon myself to hold alot of the responsibility in my band. Myself and the lead guitarist are really the driving forces behind the band. We sit down together and write most of the lyrics, and the melodies we want in the songs along with the structures. We also both have read up on the music business and dealings with club owners, promotions, recording equipment and how to use it and all the day to day marketing and promotion. Honestly I would have it no other way because this is my passion, music is my passion and my life and I want to have a big part in it because if it is what I enjoy, despite all the stress and work I still love every moment of it.
Trash
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:11 pm

My job is usually 'curmudgeon'.

"Are you sure that is really what you want? Cuz that kindas sux."

"Can't we speed it up/slow it down?"

"Well, that was about as tight as a 5 dollar whore during her half price christmas special."

I love my job.
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:16 pm

I try to help write lyrics from time to time, I sing backup, and I handle all the booking of shows and other band business.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
youknowitssick
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:17 pm

i play drums, and write lyrics.
i book all of our shows.
take care of all our graphic design work.
make the phone calls/answer the phone calls.
design the merchandise.
basically my band is lazy.
necroman138
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:43 pm

Since when is writing and playing drums not composing? I'm tired of people trying to demean drummers by saying drums aren't really an instument or that it doesnt require thought to play, especially from other drummers.
I just play drums. I suck at everything else. I'm not smart. I'm not funny. I'm not good looking. I just play drums.
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:47 pm

i play drums mainly. but i write guitar riffs, help make basslines. do lyrics sometimes. pretty much a lil of everything. i engineer the songs too. it helps to be able to do it all.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
micksmix
new
new

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:07 pm

Drummer, Manager, Recording Engineer, Live Sound (on ocassion), Booking Agent, Phyiciatrist, Spoon Feeder.

I wish i was only the drummer!!!!!
actually its probably a good thing i can do all that other shit as i think i suck as a drummer!!!

www.myspace.com/thelovesband

BEST WISHES TO ALL FOR XMAS AND NEW YEARS!!!
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:09 pm

listen and drum :D
lets drum fast and sexy :]
Dinomy
new
new

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:30 am

i also play guitar so i write about 50 % of our music. our guitarist writes the other 50%. and i pretty much write all the lyrics as well.
soliddrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:42 am

I'm one of these freaks that plays everything. And I'm in so many 'bands' these days. So it depends - sometimes I'm the frontman, sometimes backing vocalist, sometimes lead vocals plus acoustic, sometimes lead vocals plus electric, sometimes bass, sometimes keys, but my absolute favorite is DRUMS!!!! :D
Skill tempered with relevance and simplicity.
-cp- drummer
new
new

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:04 am

i know this may offend people by saying this, but just hear me out... the drummer's job is to play drums. not to write lyrics, or guitar parts. if it's set from the beginning that you are the main lyricist, then all systems go, right? i don't believe in that whole "jack of all trades" thing. i was okay at all sports when i was a kid, but now, i'm wicked at drums. if you focus on too many things, you'll never excell at each individual one. there's only so much time in the day, right? but how would you like your bassist, who knows crap all about drums to help you write YOUR parts. i think a drummer should focus on his instrument, and play the best beats he can with the song at hand.

personally, my job is to play, and be a friend. some people forget that first and foremost, before any musical chemistry begins, you need to be a good member of the "team". you can totally feel the awkardness in a band that doesn't get along - just there for the talent. look at nickleback - no offense to daniel adair, he's amazing, but i don't think he thought twice about joining. but that's his deal, and i hope he's happy.

once a song comes along, it's my job to disect it and rip it apart. i barely recognize original songs from the final version. it's also my job to pay rent and get shit done. if cd's need to be sold, you bet your ass i'll try harder to sell one at work, rather than a muffin or a coffee. if people need to be called, or research to be done, it should be priority. a band is a band, but it's also a business. you just can't think of it as one, and it should never feel like one.

i'm done my rant now.
Check out my band Crashed Pulse!

www.crashedpulse.com
www.myspace.com/crashedpulse
Howepirate

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:06 am

[/quote]

it must be a great fun! I'd like to play several instruments but I'll never neglect drums to practise another instrument[/quote]

hah very well said... and havent u noticed young drummers that start playing guitar are always like screw drums...hate that i stay away from guitars :wink:
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:50 am

-cp- drummer wrote:i know this may offend people by saying this, but just hear me out... the drummer's job is to play drums. not to write lyrics, or guitar parts.

Tell that to Phil Collins. Jack DeJohnette. Bill Bruford. Phil Gould. Gary Husband. Allan White. And a host of others.

Song writing and publishing is where the money is.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
youngdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:56 am

In a musical situation, I always try to stay out of the way as much as possible. I try to provide a solid feel, and do whatever sounds best for the ensemble. If I do get a chance to shine, I'd take it, but that really doesn't happen much with groups I play with.