Your job in a band

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:40 pm

What's your job in a band? Do you only bash away or do you compose with the others? Do you write lyrics?
I play a little guitar, so I take part in making the riffs and also I try to take part in arranging as much as I can. Sometimes I'll write lyrics to one of the songs ;)
Now I'm in a blues- like band, so I just try to fit in the songs and meanwhile put my stamp on the songs that we play. I never played blues and other stuff these guys play, so it's fun for me to try myself in a different setting.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
waterbrokenvoice
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:06 pm

besides playing drums, I try to help with guitar, and I write the lyrics and sing
Silzildrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:14 am

I really like to help write lyrics with the rest of my bandmates. Also I try to work alot with our bassist to come up with some stuff.
Timekeep69

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:37 am

Musically, I only wwrite drum parts. I usually do promotions and all of the business aspects fo the bands I'm in.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:42 am

Timekeep69 wrote:Musically, I only wwrite drum parts.

That's my only job, too.
dim my eyes if they should compromise
caulkie
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:23 pm

Mainly drums but the bass player wants me to play bass on a couple of tracks so he can push the guitarist onto the drums, just goes to show we are all multi-talented :lol:
Nothing is foolproof to a suffciently talented fool
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:42 pm

caulkie wrote:Mainly drums but the bass player wants me to play bass on a couple of tracks so he can push the guitarist onto the drums, just goes to show we are all multi-talented :lol:

it must be a great fun! I'd like to play several instruments but I'll never neglect drums to practise another instrument
caulkie
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:59 am

loop wrote:
caulkie wrote:Mainly drums but the bass player wants me to play bass on a couple of tracks so he can push the guitarist onto the drums, just goes to show we are all multi-talented :lol:

it must be a great fun! I'd like to play several instruments but I'll never neglect drums to practise another instrument

Oh yes, it is great fun, but you must have other hobbies outside of drumming? I play bass as another hobby, best way to look for it. I am unable to practice at home, haven't practiced at home on a kit since 1990!!!!! :( Just a practice pad for my rudiments.

BUT, bass playing falls in line with drums as its the "other" rhythm instrument. I have a BCRich Warlock Bronze bass, nothing special but playing standing up is a novelty :lol: :lol: I'm only playing bass on easy drum songs, so I feel that I'm not missing out. The song I'm looking forward to laying bass on is "When September Ends" by Green Day :P :lol: 8)
Nothing is foolproof to a suffciently talented fool
Lepricoin
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:10 am

my guitarist doesnt like it when i come up with riffs and stuff like that because i dont have the same backgroud in guitar he does (as far as lessons and downtime practicing.) I think its super lame though I dont care too much ill just keep what i write for myslef or future projects.

The classic from him was when he said "Your the drummer"... too bad im not the argumentative type due to the fact I always think of things to say 10 minutes after the conversation is over but oh well. I guess i should write dave grohl and remind him that he is just the drummer.
Mr. Pants
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:49 am

Lepricoin wrote:I guess i should write dave grohl and remind him that he is just the drummer.

HAH! You should!! :)
http://www.myspace.com/casanatrampls

20" Hi-Hats are nothing to be ashamed of...
karma10drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:35 pm

As a member of a band I take pride in playing a role in writing new music with the band not just bash away.. I will always listen to my fellow band mates if they have a certin kind of beat they want or a crazy off time pattern.
Also do promotions and run the website for the band. We try to focus on each persons strengths.
prog_drummer_77
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:40 pm

that is me too man...i tried to pick up guitar, but after takin time to learn just five chords, hehe i took a glance at my kit and put the guitar in the closet haha. (im really really interested in Keyboards though....for like weird effects/alien sounds/freaky things!
Joshua "Cornbread" Hughes
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:28 am

karma10drummer wrote:I will always listen to my fellow band mates if they have a certin kind of beat they want or a crazy off time pattern.

The same for me!
Carter
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:53 am

I write lyrics from time to time and play drums, of course:)
Tama drums!
screamkevin

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:15 am

Good question, Shalaq!

My responsibilities in my band, SCREAM, are:

1. Drummer/Backing Vocals
2. Designated Jaegermeister Taster.
3. Designated Miller Lite guzzler.
4. Designated Chick Magnet. (In my own mind, anyway.)
5. Website updater/Forum Administrator
6. Detail Checker for shows.
7. Designated Butt Kicker for "get your butt in gear" type stuff.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.