Bonzo's Ludwig

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:45 am

bigbobblack wrote:
Dale wrote:
Shalaq wrote:Can you say something more about this drumset? I have a Mapex Saturn Pro 22x18 12x9 16x13 18x16 and I want to achieve a similar sound to Bonzos on my bands EP. Any suggestions?

Bonzo's sound was generated by who he was and the way he played. I don't think it's possible for you to get a sound close to him unless you sample his playing and use those sounds. Just get the best sound you can get out of yourself and your own equipment.

I'm not sure I fully agree - thats a bit of a simplistic point. I take the point, but having played the same kit for nearly a year now, live and in the studio, you can definitely hear where *some* of the sound comes from, after all, it was built to his own specification. Owning the same kit doesn't make me *play* like John Bonham and as you rightly point out, that was an amalgum of him and the way he played - and I'm not looking to do that. Some of the sounds he produced ('When the Levee Breaks' for example) the drums sound huge and resonate like madwhich is largely due to the kit and the way it was recorded rather than the way i was played. Thats what I was looking for. I don't wan to replicate him - I want to grab some of that magic sound.

There's a famous story about a drummer who wanted Bonzo's sound. He asked the producer and engineer how to get it. They told him to call Bonzo and get him into the studio to do the session.

You also need to think of the time those recordings were made. Things are rather different now. I honestly believe you should find your own sound. Not someone elses.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
bigbobblack
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:01 pm

To be honest - whats it got to do with you?
I'm really happy, my band is more than happy with my sound which, if you read my posts or heard my stuff *is* my own sound I have just explored what John Bonham did what he did and appreciate the departure from the norm (or the norm at the time). I don't want to sound exactly like him or anybody else per se and even if I did...so what.
Just for the record, I was in the studio in January recording an album - I am well aware of recording techniques thanks and I'm not convinced that *all* of them are for the better. Live miking and recording are making a bit of a resurgence - ask Dave Grohl - But I expect you have an opinion on that too.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:30 pm

bigbobblack wrote:To be honest - whats it got to do with you?
I'm really happy, my band is more than happy with my sound which, if you read my posts or heard my stuff *is* my own sound I have just explored what John Bonham did what he did and appreciate the departure from the norm (or the norm at the time). I don't want to sound exactly like him or anybody else per se and even if I did...so what.
Just for the record, I was in the studio in January recording an album - I am well aware of recording techniques thanks and I'm not convinced that *all* of them are for the better. Live miking and recording are making a bit of a resurgence - ask Dave Grohl - But I expect you have an opinion on that too.

Outside of the fact that you asked, and that I took the time to answer, it has nothing to do with me. You are now, just as you were before, on your own. When you are in the studio and getting sounds, both you and the engineer will have to try to get the best sound you can from each instrument. My point is that it is not the instrument alone that gives the sound. It is a combination of both yourself and the drums that will give the result. I was only trying to help. Just because you don't like the answer to a question you asked, that's no reason to have a go at me.

I hope you have a good session. Good luck to you.

- Papa Jo Jones
bigbobblack
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:46 pm

At the risk of carrying this on WAY too long...*I* didn't ask anybody anything *I*was asked a question about my kit. Of course I know that its a kit/drummer combo, and me and the engineer chatted and experimented for a couple of hours with sounds. Its all about personal taste - Not having a go, I was a bit peeved that you jumped in as a bit "I-know-better-than-you' (and still are) in your interjection. To each his own I guess. I'm not arguing with anyone, I am not seeking to impose my views on anyone else and I (we) certainly don't have all the answers. We're just kicking the ideas about with someone who asked. But I do appreciate being told where I'm going wrong ;-)
AND we've livened the thread up! Good talking to you
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:50 pm

bigbobblack wrote:At the risk of carrying this on WAY too long...*I* didn't ask anybody anything *I*was asked a question about my kit. Of course I know that its a kit/drummer combo, and me and the engineer chatted and experimented for a couple of hours with sounds. Its all about personal taste - Not having a go, I was a bit peeved that you jumped in as a bit "I-know-better-than-you' (and still are) in your interjection. To each his own I guess. I'm not arguing with anyone, I am not seeking to impose my views on anyone else and I (we) certainly don't have all the answers. We're just kicking the ideas about with someone who asked. But I do appreciate being told where I'm going wrong ;-)
AND we've livened the thread up! Good talking to you

It's no problem. I simply answered as best I could. I can only drawer from my limitations that I've discovered over three decades of drumming. I am sorry I could not be of more help. I tried, I failed. It's not the first time. :oops:

- Papa Jo Jones
mattkinel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:48 am

Hey fellow Bonham fans. Ill try and get some pictures up ASAP. I just bought a vintage Stainless steel Bonham kit off ebay!!! I am so psyched about it, it sounds, looks and feels amazing and undescrible. I cant say enough about the large sized drums. The 26" bass drum has so much sound, character and right away increased my pedal speed, I guess the beater has a lot more bounce off a large head size. I was lucky to get some extra mounted toms, A a 10x14 so I can have the stainless setup from England, and a 12x15 tom with mach lugs, the tom he used for the US tour. I also have a 13x9 and im after a 2nd bass of any size just to add some color.

The floor toms are unreal. This is my first set with a 16x18 floor and it really sounds like thunder. I would love an 18x20 floor. I use the paiste 2002's and I have a giant beat 20" reissue cymbal. I cant say enough about the new giant beats. There backorderd 6 months so I havent botherd placing an order for the full set yet. There darker and have more character than the 2002. The ride isnt as pingy as the 24" 2002 ride. Its like listning to the cymbal sound on Led Zep I and then comparing it to the Song Reamins the Same. The SRTS kit with the 2002 has a brighter, more rock sound. The giant beats are a total bluesy jazz sounding and feeling cymbal.

Sorry, im just blabbing on about my set but I am so impressed with it. Ill try and get some pics up soon, ill have to set up a professional looking backdrop and do a real nice photo shoot sometime to highlight the beauty of these drums.

JHB Forever!
-Matt
bigbobblack
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:52 am

As part of my set up I got the Giantbeat hi-hats although I have one eye on the 15" 2002 sound-edge hats (when I find a pair!) and an 18" Giantbeat crash, Can't say enough good things about these cymbals - why they ever stopped making them is beyond me - at least Paiste have seen the light.
JLoubs34
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:40 pm

I would kill for a bonham kit. It's not really the sound I'm going for with my current projects, but just to have one for personal use would be amazing. I've played one in a Sam Ash store, but it was a bit too heavy for the other customers and the employees only let me play for 15 min or so. Someday I'll get me one though, until then I got my Bonham tattoo to keep me motivated.
mattkinel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:23 pm

IF YOU DONT HAVE A BONHAM KIT AND WANT ONE, GET IT! Nothing will every make you happier. Money can buy you happiness, once you buy a Bonham set.

Another note - The vistalite drums are fun as a second set! Dont be fooled, you wont get the true Bonham sound out of them. Vistalites do not have a tone, they just make a lot of noise. Im currently selling my vistalite set, and I just bought a vintage stainless steel. The steel are cool, but I still want a wood bonham set. I hear those nine ply new ludwig shells sound like the vintage 3 ply. Ive played the 6 ply and those are sweet, but a little thin for me. 9 Ply maple ludwig drums beat out the sound of the vistalites definately, and the stainless steel in the studio. But the stainless steel set kills the vistalite and wood shells in a live situation. Actually the stainless steel shells kill any drum, of any material, of any brand in a live situation.

I wouldnt say buy that 5500$ reissue set tho, I got my stainless bonham set, plus an add on of a 10x14 and 9x13 for 2200$ on ebay (shipping included). GO FOR IT! buy a Bonham set.
-Matt Kinel

Vintage Ludwig Stainless Steel Bonham Set
Paiste Giant Beats and 2002 Cymbals
Vintage Ludwig Hercules and Atlas Hardware
Speed King Pedal, Supraphonic Snare
Remo Heads, Coated
bigbobblack
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:33 am

If you want to hear some of the kit recorded go to http://www.myspace.com/ageofreason and listen to the MP3's (especially the track Stone,Scissors,Paper where you get a good take of the toms) .
Still loving it...
METALCHRIS
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:23 pm

I know what you are saying about being happy on a BIG KIT.I have a DW kit. 16"tom....18"floor tom and a 28" kick.

Sooo much fun on stage
Enemies of METAL your death is our REWARD!!
LayingGroovesJam
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:16 pm

Dude, i didnt think from reading alot of post on here, that id bump into another ludwig artist.
This is number two.
I will get the vistalite one day, cause its sooo damn bad ass.
I want to get the blue and light it up from underneath with black lights.
Nice pictures on your myspace dude and i must say this, im really jealous, but im very content with my cs custom elite in amber.
I bought the fusion plus and added the 13 tom.
You wouldnt happen to know where i can find some clear octobans or some that will match my amber cs's?
Maybe you know someone that wants to sell?

Peace.
LUDWIG
CS Custom eltite, Amber, 10,12,13,16,Toms
18x22 bass, speed King.
14 AA Med Hats, AA 10 splash, AAX 12 splash, Xs20 Med 20 ride, 16 Xs20 Crash, 16 B8 pro crash, AA 18 Fash china.
Remo
Sabain
Vater
Roc & Soc

IN works Octobans.
Will
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:00 am

"Well in the studio the kit caused the engineer a few headaches because the the large sized drums resonated so much"

Engineers are too obsessed with clean cut signals thats why they get p*ssed off if they get some low tom in the bass channel or high tom in the snare channel etc but thats just what drums do.

Also drums are supposed to resonate!

GREAT sounding kit by the way, I was thinking of getting a 402 for my next snare but now I know I'm getting one!
Funky1
new
new

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:55 am

Im Sorry 3B,Dale spoke Gospel.Nevermind the Fun with Websters Wierd un-Large words. Dale has spoken straight up in Yo Face Gospel.Sound is just what it is,Sound .However you have the opportunity to create and be an inovattor.Bonzo's Made his and it will be here long after you,I and this Forum is gone.So Im encouraging every drummer on here to be his/or her own geniouse.Some of us are born with the greatest gift of just being able to do it.That cant be taught,its raw talent.Bonzo indeed had a double dose.However the good lord didnt stop giving it out after Bonzo.Tap into your unique and exclusive gift and make it work for you on whatever it is your doing,studio or live.Sign it with your stuff!!
Nowell E.Haskins
aka
SonOfSound
bigbobblack
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:04 am

Funky1 wrote:Im Sorry 3B,Dale spoke Gospel.Nevermind the Fun with Websters Wierd un-Large words. Dale has spoken straight up in Yo Face Gospel.Sound is just what it is,Sound .However you have the opportunity to create and be an inovattor.Bonzo's Made his and it will be here long after you,I and this Forum is gone.So Im encouraging every drummer on here to be his/or her own geniouse.Some of us are born with the greatest gift of just being able to do it.That cant be taught,its raw talent.Bonzo indeed had a double dose.However the good lord didnt stop giving it out after Bonzo.Tap into your unique and exclusive gift and make it work for you on whatever it is your doing,studio or live.Sign it with your stuff!!

Sighs...For the last time- I do not want to *be* JHB I don't particularly want to copy his sound exactly. But I loved what he did and having checked out the Ludwig Vistaliteit (which he designed) it suited me perfectly and what *I* wanted from a kit. If someone buys a Fender Strat and Marshall stack because he likeds the likes the sound, it doesn't mean to say they want to be Jimmy Hendrix does it.
What I do is uniquely me, I don'tthink I'm nearly good enough to even try and replicate Bonham