videos, advice?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

stevo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:30 pm

so im 13, and ive been playin a couple years, but im not taking lessons, i have a few videos up on my myspace of me and my friend jammin, if you could tell me anything im doin wrong or that i could improve on (technical stuff) that would be greatly appreciated.

www.myspace.com/rudedrummer02

P.S. i relize i went a little off beat on chapter 4(a7x), trying to play it a new way and kinda messed me up.

thanks!
hey whats up guys im doug.....FUCK!!!!!
The19thHole
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:09 pm

You do a pretty good job, nothing you can really improve on. Your double bass is decent. But in smells like teen spirit you seemed really tense, but thats maybe just how you drum idk.

Nice job though. Damn good for not taking lessons
Yamaha Drums
HHX's
Paiste Signatures..mmm
:-)
stevo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:24 pm

The19thHole wrote:You do a pretty good job, nothing you can really improve on. Your double bass is decent. But in smells like teen spirit you seemed really tense, but thats maybe just how you drum idk.

Nice job though. Damn good for not taking lessons

thanks, my band wanted to try the song at a faster tempo, so i kinda tightened up cuz i was used to playing it in 4th notes.
The19thHole
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:51 pm

Oh, alright. I didnt take lessons either feels good that i taught myself. Did your band put on a gig yet?
Yamaha Drums
HHX's
Paiste Signatures..mmm
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:07 pm

First of all, not bad for your age and inexperience. You should lay back, use more wrist instead of arms. You look tense because you are using your arms. Relax and use wrists, fingers, and arms to your advantage. You should really look up some technique on that. If you keep playing the way you do, you are going to destroy yourself playing that hard.

Secondly, dynamics. You play everything at one dynamic range...LOUD! It would really help you musically to play softer on certain things. Like the nirvana, there is no use to hit the snare that hard. Period! Snares are built to project, work on using the drum as it was intended, musically! Always remember the drums are a musical instrument, not something you just beat on! Feel the music!

Lastly, tempos. On raining blood, the beginning, you should use the left foot on the hats to keep time. The Nirvana, keep time in the beginning for your guitarist, cuz he really needs to work on timing. Work with a metronome, and you'll start to feel a difference.

In all, you are pretty good for your age and having no formal lessons. You should really look for a teacher of private lessons so you can expand on drumming. Look up the rudiments and learn to read music if you can't already. That will help a lot, hopefully this post helps you out a bit and please don't take offense to anything I say, I'm here to help!
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
The19thHole
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:27 pm

I wasnt on that last post that was my friend who plays drums. he'll be making his account in a week. My bad :D .
Yamaha Drums
HHX's
Paiste Signatures..mmm
stevo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:37 pm

The19thHole wrote:Oh, alright. I didnt take lessons either feels good that i taught myself. Did your band put on a gig yet?

not the band that i was playing with right there.
stevo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:41 pm

Rob the Drummer wrote:First of all, not bad for your age and inexperience. You should lay back, use more wrist instead of arms. You look tense because you are using your arms. Relax and use wrists, fingers, and arms to your advantage. You should really look up some technique on that. If you keep playing the way you do, you are going to destroy yourself playing that hard.

Secondly, dynamics. You play everything at one dynamic range...LOUD! It would really help you musically to play softer on certain things. Like the nirvana, there is no use to hit the snare that hard. Period! Snares are built to project, work on using the drum as it was intended, musically! Always remember the drums are a musical instrument, not something you just beat on! Feel the music!

thanks man, yeah, ive been trying to use my wrist more, but then when i get into switching drums/cymbals, i lean in and use my arms more. do you know anything i could do to stop it, or is self disceplin the only cure?
Lastly, tempos. On raining blood, the beginning, you should use the left foot on the hats to keep time. The Nirvana, keep time in the beginning for your guitarist, cuz he really needs to work on timing. Work with a metronome, and you'll start to feel a difference.

In all, you are pretty good for your age and having no formal lessons. You should really look for a teacher of private lessons so you can expand on drumming. Look up the rudiments and learn to read music if you can't already. That will help a lot, hopefully this post helps you out a bit and please don't take offense to anything I say, I'm here to help!
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:59 pm

Really, the best advice I can give you is to find a good teacher and learn the proper techniques. You can only do so much with natural talent. A good teacher will show you proper stick handling as well as playing technique. It would be very hard to grasp technique as a starter over a forum. Finding a good teacher can be one of the best moves and most fulfilling things you can do for your drumming, especially if you want drumming to be a big part of your life!

grimey mike
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:41 am

i think people can sometimes have this block against getting a drum teacher, people always say to me it gets rid of orignality, but i think, if anything its helps create your own sound... well a good teacher anyway. i have done both, and i much prefer teachers!
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:45 am

True, if you don't know what you are doing on the drums, you will think you are original....Until you learn and find out you were playing a rudiment. And also, how do you expect to jump "outside the box," if you at first don't even know what the "box" is?

Teachers are great, and you can also do your own research when you have the fundamentals down.

The19thHole
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:44 pm

Im one of those tools you guys are talking about me and my friend played together and watched videos. untill we got decent then he finally stoped mooching and got his own kit. But looking back i would have got to where i am alot faster with lessons rather than being that "kewl" kid who tought himself.
Yamaha Drums
HHX's
Paiste Signatures..mmm