kick pedal tension

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

cesarjosecatalan
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:39 am

I use it kinda loose. (related topic in DIFERENT DRUM PEDAL, SAME DRUMMER?)
Cesar J. Catalán.-Argentina.
zharil
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:28 am

tight=heel up
loose=heel down
who discover that we could get milk from cows..
and what was he thinking at that time..????!!
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:28 pm

I tune my pedal sprigs to A# - just kidding! How many of you ran to grab your tuner? I would say medium loose; I prefer feel over speed!
RednaiL
new
new

Post Wed May 02, 2007 3:02 am

keep it as loose as possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfIJ_Jbsmfw[/url]
matt
beginner
beginner

Post Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 am

TrunJun wrote:Ok ok ok, I had to throw in my two pennies...

The theory of spring tension is very simple. People cant just play a bass drum roll with normal techniques anymore... its rather squeamish and pathetic I think, but anyways noobies, heres the deal...

Spring tension has a lot to do with your playstyle. Playing faster (on a sloppyness level) is easier to control because the beats are at a much faster tempo. It takes more control to slow it down and get your notes correctly (bands to see demonstrating the "fast slop" bass drum - Cephalic Carnage, Summon [especially the No Thoughts from the Sky cd]). Joey Jordison (overrated yes) who is semi fast used to use a very very high tension on his Cobras in the old days and achieved decent speeds. I would assume masters such as Derek Roddy who play on Axis pedals have the tension relatively High as well. Having a higher tension can also mean less control when attempting to play lower tempo tunes. For instance, I would assume Matt McDonough's tension on his pedals are at a medium-esq tension. Morgan Rose's tension is probably not that High either.

But either way, a lot of it is just how comfortable you are with your feet. Heel-toe technique is alright, but seriously, dont resort to cheap tricks to achieve something that will sound better when you practice it up (single/double strokes on your bass drum). Take the time to screw with your drumset and dont be a panzy :P

psh i bet the drummer of cephalic carnage could totally pwn u :p

now back to the topic
i have mine............medium tight
i do lots of ridiculously fast bassdrum work
then like slowish beats (for death metal) like the main thrash beat slayer and cannibal corpse do
golfchance
beginner
beginner

Post Wed May 02, 2007 6:25 am

For the first several years I used medium-to-high tension, arbitrarily deciding that was simply 'correct', even though I struggled with speed. Then someone suggested I loosen it way up (as loose as possible without creating slack). I tried it and immediately realized that was the way to go for me, and I've played that way ever since. Somehow it just gave me much greater control, speed and power. For what it's worth, I play heel up.
MrMcFetus
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 02, 2007 6:39 am

dugdrummer wrote:i'm somewhere in the middle!!

+1!
Tama.
Zildjian.
Vic Firth.
Remo.

92% of teens switch to rap. If you're in the 8% that don't, spread the word!
scrubs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 02, 2007 7:02 am

Spring tension is something I'm still experimenting with. I watched a Steve Smith DVD recently and he remarked that he liked his pedals very loose. So, I actually took the time to balance the pedal and set it up with a looser tension (pretty close to my hihat pedal as far as the feel) and, so far, it's working pretty well. I don't play fast kick stuff, though.
dob?
beginner
beginner

Post Wed May 02, 2007 9:55 am

i have mine pretty tight... and about the dualist pedals, i always thought it'd be kinda fun to get 2 of them on 2 bass drums and see how fast you can play :P just a thought.
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:40 am

It depends on how fast your band plays. Typically, for slower and less aggressive beats and tempos, you should use as little spring tension as possible, as it will maximize your cleanliness and make all your strokes powerful. However, if you wish to attain speeds equal or greater than that of super double bass drummers/bands such as Origin's John Longstreth and James King, Panzer Christ/Hate Eternal's Reno Kiilerich, Frank Zappa's Terry Bozzio and Chad Wackerman, Nile's Derek Roddy and George Kollias and Dimmu Borgir/Brujeria's Nick Barker, you're going to want as tight of spring tension as possible. Having tighter spring tension increases your ability to play controlled at higher speeds. Personally, I turn my spring tension down just a little bit for my main band IAmTheShotgun, which is mainly Aquiles Priester and Mike Justain esq drumming, but for my side project Goblin Battle Wagon, I turn my spring tension up as far as it possibly can, due to the extremely high tempos (250 bpm and beyond, never any slower) and the required double bass rolls. Its really a question of being able to play your pedal at all tensions. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Its not even that hard to play, its just hard to count! Fuck it!
goatatl
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 02, 2007 4:56 pm

I use the Power glide Iron cobras; Tight as they'll go. That's what feels best to me. I also play a 28" kick with a fairly tight Batter\ looser resonant head, so I'd have to think the drum and the tensioning would be a factor as well. Big fan of the Aquarian Super kick heads; best ones on the market for my money
G
Mikkey
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 06, 2007 2:36 am

The pedal tension depends on a lot of things. To categorically say that for X situation in all cases Y type of tension is required, overlooks a lot of things. One is leg positioning and finding the "arc" of your foot where you can get the most power with the least effort. Another is what drive system you are using. I have both belt and chain for my eliminators. For the chain I like to use high pedal tension. The power of chain combined with high tension is a good combo and that is what I currently use for my DM act and classic rock act. However, two months ago when I was using strickly belts I liked the tension to be about medium and I still could blaze by at a super fast pace (even faster than chains, granted with a little less power because of the way belts are). Certainly a different feeling. I'm still not sure which I like better. All in all, just remember that spring tension interacts with everything else and only by constantly toying with everything can you obtain what you want from your pedal or pedals.
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun May 06, 2007 12:38 pm

Mine's pretty loose, I like a ton of power hitting my kick and if the pedal tension is too high then I can't return quick enough for doubles... I feels like I'm wasting too much energy bringing the pedal back. If I play double kick with the tension high then I lose control and it feels like I'm just fluttering the pedals, there's no power. I use the head tension for bounceback much more.