kick pedal tension

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:47 pm

how tight do you prefer your spring? i personally prefer as tight as possible...i know if i can feel the beater hitting my foot i can play tight triplets when i want to....also...has anyone used the dualist pedal? the one that strikes on the down stroke and the upstroke of your pedal? ive been thinkin about buyin one but its kinda like cheating...depends on how it sounds i guess...let me know
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:19 pm

i have my springs pretty tight...i changed my pedal setup today though so im still getting used to them but ive always had the springs tight.

as for the duallist, from everything i hear you basically have to use the heel/toe technique to make the double beaters work so its not even worth it because if you can do heel/toe on a regular pedal you dont need the dualist, and if you get the dualist but cant do heel/toe its just a very expensive pedal. deal? not at all.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:44 pm

Duallist double is a cheater pedal because it performs when the pedal board goes up. It's better to use heel toe technique or the Vruk technique with the Vruk foot plate, because it teaches you the motions of your foot and it is simply not cheating :)

As for the spring tension- I have my spring tight all the way. I use an Iron Cobra pedal and it is just a feeling that the tension on these pedals is not so big when cranked all the way. But I want to seriously work on heel down technique so I'll loosen them up.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:47 am

Shalaq wrote:As for the spring tension- I have my spring tight all the way. I use an Iron Cobra pedal and it is just a feeling that the tension on these pedals is not so big when cranked all the way. But I want to seriously work on heel down technique so I'll loosen them up.

i have cobras and ive found that its much easier to do heel/toe with the spring tension all the way up, especially if youre trying to do a quick 32nd note double hit. with the springs loose you dont get the rebound needed to get the second hit, at least for my feet.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:53 am

I also have my springs pretty tight. Feels good to me :)
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:10 am

my springs are loose/medium-loose :)
than again I don't play any extraordinary stuff with my feet :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:54 am

i'm somewhere in the middle!!
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:49 pm

Ok ok ok, I had to throw in my two pennies...

The theory of spring tension is very simple. People cant just play a bass drum roll with normal techniques anymore... its rather squeamish and pathetic I think, but anyways noobies, heres the deal...

Spring tension has a lot to do with your playstyle. Playing faster (on a sloppyness level) is easier to control because the beats are at a much faster tempo. It takes more control to slow it down and get your notes correctly (bands to see demonstrating the "fast slop" bass drum - Cephalic Carnage, Summon [especially the No Thoughts from the Sky cd]). Joey Jordison (overrated yes) who is semi fast used to use a very very high tension on his Cobras in the old days and achieved decent speeds. I would assume masters such as Derek Roddy who play on Axis pedals have the tension relatively High as well. Having a higher tension can also mean less control when attempting to play lower tempo tunes. For instance, I would assume Matt McDonough's tension on his pedals are at a medium-esq tension. Morgan Rose's tension is probably not that High either.

But either way, a lot of it is just how comfortable you are with your feet. Heel-toe technique is alright, but seriously, dont resort to cheap tricks to achieve something that will sound better when you practice it up (single/double strokes on your bass drum). Take the time to screw with your drumset and dont be a panzy :P
prl_drmer_08
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:57 pm

As of right now I have my spring tension between loose and tight. I play fast, aggressive double bass patterns. I haven't really figured out how tight I need both springs to be to get the best rebound and speed out of the pedals. I'm going to try and crank them up when I get home tonight. From what I've read on here, everyone that plays intense 32nd patterns and things have their spring tension cranked up for the best rebound and all. If anyone can give me any kind of advise, I would greatly appreciate it. :)
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:32 pm

I have a very simple way to set up any DW 5000 pedal for my foot-

Spring tight as possible and beater angle thrown all the way back.

When we play the bass drum, there is usually a limit to the angle it flies back. Why have that limit? Do you limit the stick height of your hands to 45?? No, because that's where the power lies, in that secondary 45? position. Same with your bass drum foot.

I like to let my foot rest on the pedal and have some energy stored up; my foot being on the pedal will take it's angle to 45? but guess what? I have another whole realm of travel "behind" the forward motion that the beater travels in.

In other words, I use every bit of energy that is stored in that spring. As a result, I am constantly breaking springs and have to keep a good stock of extras on hand.

So....that's my whole bag on that. :)
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:49 pm

BillRayDrums wrote:I have a very simple way to set up any DW 5000 pedal for my foot-

Spring tight as possible and beater angle thrown all the way back.

When we play the bass drum, there is usually a limit to the angle it flies back. Why have that limit? Do you limit the stick height of your hands to 45?? No, because that's where the power lies, in that secondary 45? position. Same with your bass drum foot.

I like to let my foot rest on the pedal and have some energy stored up; my foot being on the pedal will take it's angle to 45? but guess what? I have another whole realm of travel "behind" the forward motion that the beater travels in.

In other words, I use every bit of energy that is stored in that spring. As a result, I am constantly breaking springs and have to keep a good stock of extras on hand.

So....that's my whole bag on that. :)

i personally couldnt do that.

first off, i dont need that much power to get a good sound out of my bass drum...bruce lees one inch punch can equal a full force punch from the average person. im not saying that i play with the same amount of power but if i need an extra boost i can make it.

second, the rebound of the beater when its already that far back would kill my foot. on my old pdp pedals i couldnt adjust the beater angle and when i played doubles the beaters would pound on the top of my foot...it gets quite painful after a fairly short period of time.

but, i cant speak for the 5000 pedal. maybe it requires more than i know.
thefats
new
new

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:05 pm

i play with mine at about a 6 on a scale of 1-10 and ass for the heal toe thing i play heel up so i havent tryed that. i don't have any problems playing 32nd note on the kick with out a roll but thats me. for the first 8 months all i did was work on my right foot so i got some speed and force down there....
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:24 pm

prl_drmer_08 wrote:As of right now I have my spring tension between loose and tight. I play fast, aggressive double bass patterns. I haven't really figured out how tight I need both springs to be to get the best rebound and speed out of the pedals. I'm going to try and crank them up when I get home tonight. From what I've read on here, everyone that plays intense 32nd patterns and things have their spring tension cranked up for the best rebound and all. If anyone can give me any kind of advise, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

To be precise, rebound comes from the head. It is only the problem of how the pedal is designed that the springs are usefull. As it is very difficult to get your foot off the pedal instantly after the impact(thus releasingthe pressure on the pedal and allowing the rebound from the head) the spring has to drive the beater backwards. The key in foot technique is to learn to release the beater not by using the spring tension but by using the energy created when the beater strikes the head- thus mastering the free stroke on the kick.
Ideally, you should be able to play with a pedal that has no springs at all, as you would depend only on the rebound. But it extremely hard, because of the way the pedals were, are and probably will be designed in the future.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:39 am

I like to tension my pedal medium for a couple reasons. If the pedal is too loose, obviously you don't get the rebound you want. If you have the pedal too tight, you get too much rebound.

I've had problems playing on my friends Iron cobras because he has them really tight and the length of the shaft long, so when you play, you get smacked in the shin with the back of the beater. OUCH. With proper foot technique, you should be able to play your best with a medium tension imo. You get just the right amount of transfer of power and feel. Use the Pearl Eliminators, they rock! :D
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:44 am

Rob the Drummer wrote:With proper foot technique, you should be able to play your best with a medium tension imo.

I think it's all personal preference. If you always play with a high spring tension you'll get used to it and gain control of the pedal :)

Rob the Drummer wrote:Use the Pearl Eliminators, they rock! :D

true 8)
dim my eyes if they should compromise