Triggering your drumset

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

The Drummer
new
new

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:06 pm

ok..im totally stupid. but what do you mean by the term "trigger"
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:33 am

your not dumb or stupid quite alot of drummers dont know what they are.( i only found out last year) a trigger is simply a signal! you would attach a trigger reciever to the skin of your drums and once you hit the drum the trigger picks up the signal and it travels to a module with soundfiles on it, this is then attach to the PA. fun thing to do is record your own sounds and use them on the drums!! hehe. good luck.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:00 pm

I Trigger my how Rocket shells kit and i use pads,right now im running 1 Alesis DM5 1 Alesis midiverb4 and a yamaha dtx 3 powered by 2 nady power suplys rack mounts everythings all rack mounted followed by buttkicker system.and 3 pads, i play alot of Industrial progressive metal and i use everthing i have i wouldnt have it any other way so much cool shit you can do with drum brains and prossesers you just got to use it to your needs,i can get a "john bonham" kit without even trying and all the dimensions on the kit is totally diffrent
MAPEX DRUMS/Tama Drums/PEARL HARDWARE

EVANS/ATTACK DRUM HEADS

ALESIS,DDRUM,

ZILDJIAN/ISTANBUL CYMBALS

VATER PERCUSSION
Javi_t
new
new

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:35 pm

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=705531

So if i wanted to use that drum machine to trigger my bass, could I?
reveringham
new
new

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:39 pm

Okay, I've got to chime in on this one, I recently purchased an Alesis DM5 and some pintech trigers along with some HQ trigger guards. I am hoping that I can "supplement" my live sound.
I have a Tama Starclassic and love the sound, but want to getter some bigger sounds out of it. I'm just putting it together so I am unsure if I will continue to mic my drums or just use the triggers.

To those of those that use triggers on an acoustic drum, my question is do you still mic your drum to get the natural sound out of it and then layer in triggered sound or do you just go with the triggered sound through the PA?
"I'll live while I'm alive and sleep when I'm dead"
Jaki
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:28 am

I have just recently triggerd my kick drums and now you can hear each hit. Though speeds above 200 bpm is usually when there best used for. 240 bpm, the kick drums without triggers just sound messy and like a constant noise. SO triggersm well you can imagine the type of lushness you will hear.

I only use the triggers, I don't layer the acoustic sound over it. But this is only kick drums, you shouldn't spend more ontriggering everything..... why would you have a top of teh range kit if u don't use the sound from it lol.....

If you have a very loose kick drum head... where it practically sounds like a slowmotion duck then double triggering and all that shit can happen.. I've got mine about the same tention as my e kit so i don't get this problem...
Pure Deaththrash
TomorrowsTragedyDrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:08 pm

i love my triggers.....i have ddrum triggers and alexis dm5 module....i only trigger my bass drum.....its nice being able to get the perfect sound from your bass drum...especially using the heel-toe method...picks up everything
Moo
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:21 pm

I trigger all of my toms and my snare, with Roland triggers and sound module, but I mic my bass drum with either a Shure Beta 52 in the hole, and a boundary mic on the pillow inside, or a Yamaha Subkick outside, and a Shure SM 57 in the hole, aimed at the beater impact point. If I want any funky effects, or to just tweak the sound, I'll just run it through an effects processor and my own board before it goes to the main mixer. I, too got tired of double triggering and missed beats, some of which I didn't notice until the playback. Hope this helps.
Marki777
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:29 pm

Well im have drilled my kit to use the May Microphone System, which is a mic inside of every tom. There is just a XLR plug on the outside of the drum. DW has them on there web site.
But from there i go to a splitter box that turns mic cable comeing out of my drum into an XLR and a 1/4 jack. That 1/4" jack goes to my sound module, the XLR goes to the main board along with the output from my sound module. But I only use this set up for the larger venues we play and in the recording studio from time to time. It has really worked well and depending on what sound source im using I just have to make sure to eliminate any cross talk and false triggering. But man it really, really sounds good comeing out of the mains, huge and fat and it saves me a ton of time.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:35 am

My biggest problem with triggers has always been keeping them stuck on the head
The adhesive never seems to stick
Then I started to experiment with silicone gel
First, it is cheap ($3 a tube)
Second, it is very maleable, you can sculpt it and even go as far as to completely bury the trigger in gel
This isolates the trigger from extraneous vibrations and lets it concentrate on the direct contact with the head
Third, it is very easy to remove once it has dried
You can just peel it off like a big clear rubbery booger

First, apply a dot to the trigger and move it around the spot a bit to evenly spread a thin layer of gel to the area of contact
Then apply a bead around the outer edge of the trigger
Let that dry for a bit and then decide for yourself if you wanna leave it like that or glop a bunch on it and completely encase it
You can do this over and over until you find that "sweet spot" because it peels right off and is cheap as hell

Not only that, but I have applied the same principal to a practice pad kit with the same results
A $1000 for an electronic kit?
WHY?
Make it yourself
You say irritant, I say catalyst
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:37 pm

Recommendations for triggering my snare with a roland SPDS???

I've been told the pintech inexpensive one is a great trigger when you mount it on the outside of the shell or the top head, not sure if i was told correctly or if i'm better off using either a ddrum trigger on the rim or a roland. Its for the akira jimbo sig snare with wood hoops in case that might complicate rim mounting.

Ideas?
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:14 pm

I use an SPDS and use both extension triggers for sampling
The fact that you can place the triggers in a different part of the drumkit helps me to separate parts in my head
Plus, the SPDS tends to be a bit confusing because the pads are all together
Just make sure that you designate what kind of trigger you are using when selecting trigger assignments
Some triggers are different and require a different assignment
Please feel free to contact me with any more specific questions
You say irritant, I say catalyst
justinlikesmetal
new
new

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:19 pm

i use a roland rt-10k trigger on my kick and the roland td-3 module
it took me a little time calibrating and messing with the sensitivity on my module but after that it plays great
Johnfixious
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:33 pm

Ok here's the clincher, anyone know of a good dependable trigger to use with vintage hooped snare drums? The ddrum's won't fit it, doesn't look like the roland will either, and the pintech isn't as consistent as i'd like.

Ideas?
HEVY KEVY
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:35 pm

I was in a country band that played lots of small rooms. We put triggers on my acoustic drum heads, and filled the shells with foam, like from a couch, leaving about 2" of air between the foam and the head. That gave me a real feel and a whisper quiet drumkit.
we could hear peoples conversations from the dance floor! I can't remember what system was used, but I had 5 different drumkit sounds I used. The pads that came with the system were just too hard. Electronic drumming is hard on the wrist.