Triggering your drumset

Roland TD, Yamaha DTX, Alesis DM5, Simmson etc. All about electronic drum sets.

Moderator: Moderators

Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:31 am

Do you guys trigger your drumset or the kicks? How is it compared to regular pads? What triggering equipment do you use?
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
tjwicklu
new
new

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:25 am

I went to see many other bands play metal with a bunch of cool double bass work only to hear almost none of it because it wasn't triggered. So, I decided to trigger my bassdrum at shows with a cheap $20 pintech trigger. The module I use is a Yamaha DTX V.2 from about 1996 that I am borrowing from a friend. I have aspirations to get a Alesis DM5 when I am not so freaking poor. I've had it on for about 6 months and there haven't been any problems.

Its about 3 inches in from the shell on the far right corner of the drum. I messed around with other triggers for a couple of years with lots of problems of double triggering and missed beats, but this one's been good to me.

Compared to regular pads...I love playing my BD instead of a mesh or rubber pad. Mesh pads bounce way too much for me and I accidentally get ghostbeats once in a while. The rubber pads are better but its hard to get constant volume out of them with two beaters on it.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:46 am

I trigger my snare and bass with ROland acoustic triggers. Have been able to tweak in some very dependable settings, and they seem to perform quite smoothly. Just got one of the new generation ROland triggers, trying it on a tom; I'd like to trigger everything eventually, as I had been gigging with all E-toms lately. I'm sending it to a Roland TD20 module.

Have previously triggered all my cymbals too, using Hart, Roland, and Smartrigger E-cymbals. These went to a Roland Tmc6 which triggered acoustic cymbal samples from an EMU E5000. This setup worked pretty reliably also. And it let me trigger non-percussion sounds too, like bass guitar notes, etc...

I'm hoping to go all acoustic for our next tour, but want to have triggers on everything too. We'll see how it goes.
yourmombangsmydrums
new
new

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:35 pm

what is triggering? :?:
whee, my socks are older than you!
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:48 pm

It means attaching an electronic pickup to your acoustic drum, which is connected to a module that can produce whatever sounds you program for it. There are many ways of doing this

electronic pads- 'trigger' or piezo element/pickup is already built in to a pad.

'acoustic triggers'- small transducer/pickup that attaches to an acoustic drum and sends its signal to a module, software or drum machine.

roland trigger page, for examples
Aeternal
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:48 pm

I have been known to trigger my entire kit except for my Snare. We played alot of small clubs that just didnt have the mics or board for my kit.

I use Axis Ekits on my bass drum pedals. DDrum Redshots on the toms with a DM5 in the commander seat.
Carter
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:31 am

Aeternal wrote: I use Axis Ekits on my bass drum pedals.

Are they better than normal triggers?
Tama drums!
bunnybunny
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:49 am

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
Aeternal
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:18 pm

Carter wrote:
Aeternal wrote: I use Axis Ekits on my bass drum pedals.

Are they better than normal triggers?

yes..very much better.

I dont have to muffle my kick...dont worry about my head tension and my Ekits never double trigger
Carter
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:22 am

Aeternal wrote:yes..very much better.

I dont have to muffle my kick...dont worry about my head tension and my Ekits never double trigger

Sounds really cool. How much are they?
Tama drums!
Aeternal
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:36 pm

Carter wrote:
Aeternal wrote:yes..very much better.

Sounds really cool. How much are they?

usually the same price as normal DDrum Kick triggers, but they mount on an Axis pedal. I am currently making an adapter so I can use them on my Pearl Elims and my Axis
miren324
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:14 pm

I'm new to triggering (I actually know nothing about them except what I've read in this thread). Do they work like mics, except you can program them to sound like something other than your drum? Can you just make them sound like the drum, or do you have to find a preset on whatever module you're using? Do you run them through a PA for a show, or does the module act like a speaker in itself (I'm assuming you'd need a speaker to get out whatever sound the trigger is picking up)?
Fo' sho' son!
m
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:21 pm

It's all about the module. All tones come from the module. You can tweak many parameters of whatever 'sounds' already loaded into the module. IF you use a sampler, then you can make your own sounds.

Triggers are like electric guitar pickups. If the pickups aren't plugged into something, you don't hear any signal.

The module is going to need to send its audio signal to an amp, PA, headphones, whatever- in order for you to be able to hear it.

MULTIPADs consist of several triggers mounted together on some sort of playing surface. Some of these have 'modules' built in and all you have to do is plug the unit into an amp or PA to hear it. Examples would be the higher end DrumKats or Roland's Handsonic or SPDs unit...
miren324
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:57 pm

So, would I be able to just plug it into a guitar amp? I've looked at some, and they all use quarter-inch cables, so it should work. I had some ideas with this one weird amp that I have . . . do rolls on the snare and make them sound really weird . . .

Also, how would a trigger work with a cymbal? Like if I had the top of the stand sticking up really high, would I be able to attach a trigger to that? I know that's not how they're normally used, but know I could find a way to attach it - I'm resourceful. Haha. I just don't know exactly how they work, so I didn't know if they'd even pick up the cymbal sounds, or if they'd bounce off the cymbal a lot and cause some other problems. Do they work like mics? Or is it something else? Just curious. Still new to triggers, so my mind's going crazy with random ideas.
Fo' sho' son!
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:33 pm

I'm oldschool. For what I do, triggers are completely superfluous.
~B