What do you play?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:11 pm

What kind of music do you play? What's your style and why do you like that style?
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
The19thHole
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:36 pm

i play rock, acousic, alternative. Alot of stuff i play is just funky. I play alot on roto-toms and i try to steer clear from basic rock beat and such because my bands trying to sound diffrent? I guess?
Yamaha Drums
HHX's
Paiste Signatures..mmm
:-)
big_bad_drummer_ boi
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:44 pm

I in 2 prog/metal bands so i guess i enjoy playin that particular style most. I also enjoy playing funk/rap/r n b stuff too.

I love the technical side of prog metal and the heaviness.
With the funk rap rnb stuff i enjoy the somewhat expressive nature of the music. I jus really feel the music most in that particular style.
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:40 pm

I've been playing in an Ozzy Osbourne tribute band (www.ozzyband.com), but we are in the midst of disbanding. I'm going back to original music with this new project.....

www.myspace.com/fourpoundjack

Tribute bands can only last so long, and besides, a shot of integrity will be very nice 8)
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:38 am

I mostly play rock and grunge. These kinds of music are really close to me, I enjoy playing them - that's why I do it! I also play a bit of funk just for fun!
dim my eyes if they should compromise
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:37 pm

i like to play fast songs,i.e. nofx....but i think i have the most fun with funk/progressive rock/ska/jazz.....ie,bitches brew by miles davis,secret world live by peter gabriel(manu katche on the drums and tony levin on bass....damn)s,skankin pickle,maybe some mars volta to boot.....it keeps me on my toes
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:52 am

I have never and will never limit myself to one genre of playing. I think anyone who does is missing out!
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:16 am

currently I'm in a band that plays all kind of jamaican crap ;) - reggae, dancehall etc... but given the fact that all band members (except the vocalists) are open-minded we often jam with funk, drum'n'bass, jazz and other cool groovy stuff :)
also I very much enjoy playing along to rock tracks :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
millsybaby
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:46 pm

Currently playing in a harcore punk band but we've only got one gig left as i called it a day because i wanted to concentrate on my ever growing side project - which is classic rock, heavy metal, hair metal, glam metal - call it what you want - its balls to the walls good times hard rock haha!
CooknessMunster
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:39 pm

I have been in 7 bands all have been really different in styles. First band played pop music. The next band played metal. Third band played Ska & Reggae. After That was a punk band. Then I played in a rock experimental band with two bass players. Now I'm in a rock band that has a hint of funk to it.
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:21 am

Demented Drummer wrote:I have never and will never limit myself to one genre of playing. I think anyone who does is missing out!

Great Point!
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:56 am

Currently I'm playing with Metalcore subjugators Before the Reign in Denver Colorado. I also have a side project called Synesthesia that leans more towards the Experimental side of metal (see Zero Hour and Candiria).

Really though, I agree with the previous statement, anyone who doesnt play all styles is missing out. Look at Derek Roddy, that fool can play damned near anything. I find for a lot of agressive drummers, the best thing you can do is train yourself in Jazz, and also rudimentary practice never hurt any1. The whole point is to make everything strong, all your playstyles and all FIVE of your limbs (including the noggin' ;P).

Either way, good drummers with good playstyle = Nick Barker, Mike Justain, Derek Roddy, Morgan Rose, Reno (from Panzer Christ)
billwilldrum
new
new

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:06 am

I Agree with Rob. To limit myself would take away the search for improvement and enjoyment. However the Band I'vr been playing with has been together for over thirty years now so my style basicly is a cross between the sounds of the Allman Bros, Santana, Johnny Winters Robin Trower, Frank Marino, The Dixie Dregs (Love Rod Morganstien) Blues and lite Jazz. But I am most like Mr. Bonham when given the chance. 8) [/b]
pet035
new
new

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:19 am

i used to play in a metalcore band.i prefer to play hardcore tunes.so... for now i play with a hardcore band and i love it!!
secondary i join in a band playing more of alternative hardcore sounds and that is (i think) the point of me...
trowa012000
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:30 am

I like playing in Hard Rock bands, Kind of a mix between Tool and Trapt. I used to be in a Punk band, but I got out because It was all the same.
So many drums, So little time.