Why Drums?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

NCdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:19 am

My biological father was a musician, so the musicianship was genetic. My step-father (who actually raised me and whom I call Daddy) was the drummer in his band. When his original group reunited in the mid 70's, they would rehearse over at our house in Daddy's big barn/shop. I use to sit out there and watch them and just loved watching Daddy play. He would tear the kit down after every rehearsal and I can remember BEGGING him constantly to set them back up. When he would, I would spend hours on them. Started to try the trumpet when I entered Jr. High, but realized drumming was what came natural. As I said in my intro thread, I'v been playing Daddy's 1962 Pearls my entire life. As much as I like the new kit I just bought, I had mixed emotions about telling Daddy I had bought them. You get attached to your set and it was almost like losing a friend. Daddy, however, was tickled for me and said he understoond that I had outgrown them musically and I needed something more modern. He has definetely been a positive influence on my drumming.
Ludwig Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Zildjian Dip Series sticks

http://www.myspace.com/eddiewan
mouse
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:24 am

ok, I probably have the saddest reason for becoming a drummer. In my younger years I was a Hanson fan. Saw them and thought that's what I want to do. I have no co-ordination in my fingers so drums was the best option.

My reasons for continuing to play have changed somewhat over the years though. And I regret none of it! lol

Sarah x
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:01 am

mouse wrote:ok, I probably have the saddest reason for becoming a drummer. In my younger years I was a Hanson fan. Saw them and thought that's what I want to do. I have no co-ordination in my fingers so drums was the best option.

You shouldn't feel ashamed of that at all. A generation before you, THOUSANDS of young people were originally inspired to play the drums by a muppet.
TonyDrummer80
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:37 am

well first i thought i'd get girls...didnt work :-P but i saw the drumline movie...and it blew me away...i could play most of the stuff they play before i even bought a kit...i just used sticks on a pad and it just raised from there
mouse
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:23 pm

Gaddabout wrote:
mouse wrote:ok, I probably have the saddest reason for becoming a drummer. In my younger years I was a Hanson fan. Saw them and thought that's what I want to do. I have no co-ordination in my fingers so drums was the best option.

You shouldn't feel ashamed of that at all. A generation before you, THOUSANDS of young people were originally inspired to play the drums by a muppet.

I love you :lol:

Sarah x
Zim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:48 am

KEITH MOON!!! NUFF SAID
pooJken
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:45 am

Don't know, I just did it when I was a little boy

by the time I was 3 my parrents bought me drum sticks, cause I had broken all the Chinese eating sticks in the house
pphunk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:51 am

loop wrote:What (who) made you want to start playing drums?

My dad gave me his accoustic guitar when i was about 4, i started to hit the strings instead of strumming them so he said "damnit, give me my guitar back, you're a drummer." But the real moment i decided to take up the drums was after watching the Metallica Binge and Purge videos and seeing how powerful they sounded and how much more awesome they looked when played than any other instrument.
Dillface
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:57 pm

Good question, I've just always wanted to....hmmmm. That's actually a DAMN good question. Well I guess my best answer to give is, I was always amazed *as a little kid* about the drumming I was hearing. The guitar interested me aswell, but I can't play the guitar. I've tried, not for me.
So in short, I chose the drums because I'm so amazed at what people can do with a kit. *fast or slow*
:D
RobDrmz
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:16 am

Why DRUMS, Why SEX? - Because you feel it!
Keep tha FUNK alive!
BigDrummer_TF
new
new

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:42 pm

Other then the fact that drums are the oldest instrument known to man (hitting stuff must be like encoded into human DNA)...I had a passion to play the drums from the time I was 4-9 (when I listened to only Garth Brooks)...from ages 9-about 14 I was really into sports and didn't pay much attention to music. At the age of 15, I started going to church, where the youth pastor asked me to play the drums. Of course I had never played, but I convinced my grandpa to buy me a trap set and a book...I tought myself, and 6 years later, I'm still teaching myself.
Drumming isn't just a part of me...it IS me, it defines my life, it's my drug of choice, and my psychologist. Music is the one medium that every soul can speak through while still retaining their individuality.

Sorry for the "deep" thoughts...but I'm just THAT serious and passionate about it
Metropolis1021
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:54 pm

KISS......that's it, they put on a cool show and i just bought into the whole gimmik. don't get me wrong they wrote some cool songs but i hardly even listen to them anymore.
Tama Starclassic Performer
Sabian Cymbals
Axis AL-2CB
Remo Drumheads
Pro-Mark Sticks
Gibraltar Drum Rack
Ianevil
new
new

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:53 pm

Well I started playing drums because i moved to a place where everyone played guitar. So I picked up Drums.

As far as this....
The19thHole wrote:I started to play guitar, but then noticed i could sing so i dropped it . Then noticed i wasnt actually good at singing, so i picked up drums... because bass isnt really an instrument :D

I also play Bass a double Bass to be exact and uh I hope you mean regular bass. Cos the Bull Fiddle is not only a Bass but it is also a percussion instrument. I mean hell Bass and Drums go hand in Hand. Unless your a Douche bag Like The white Stripes and any other Hipster crap band that dons't use a complete rythem section.

Guitar Players and singers are just glitter. The Rythem section makes the Band
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:04 am

THEunderUSEDoath33 wrote:PS i see Travis Barker doesnt get much love on this site. I just wanted to let it be known that yes there have been so many great drummer like Keith Moon, Jon Bohnam which are great to many cuz thats who they grew up on Travis is whay my self and many others in my generation grew up on and he is the reason and inspiration for many of the up coming drummers!!!!!!!!!!

Amen!
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford