Why Drums?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

drumobsessed
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:37 am

I had to pick an instrument in grade 6 band. I asked the teacher which would be the hardest to learn and she said 'drums and french horn'.

$800 for a french horn vs. $3 sticks and a $10 drum book, my mom said learn drums. Also I had a huge crush on zack hanson, I was fucked up, I know (I'm female, I don't know if this says so)

And that is how the madness that is my life began.
marine0811
new
new

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:41 am

Well it was a matter of who for me, i never wanted to play drums when i was growing up, i started playing the trumpet in middle school played one year then the next year my band director saw me playing drum beats on the table alot, and told me that she was moving me from second chair trumpet player to percussion!!!!! well back then i was pissed, but i thanks god and her everytime i do a show for the move she did that put me where i'm at now!!!!!! :D
Melvin
new
new

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:31 pm

since i can remember i always tough the drums were the coolest thing, till i was 10 my dad bought my first set, 6 years after im still playing ;) :D
music = life
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:12 pm

My father was a drummer. When I was 15 months old or so I found his kit. He kept hiding it from me but still I sought them out and would pound away on them. When I was about 2 or 3 I connected the pulse of a snare drum to the beat of music and from then it was game on.

When I was 4 years old I sat at my now-set up drumset (complete with cymbals and all!!) and looked out and saw a long vast road ahead of me. It was Peter Criss that showed me the edge, and a drummer named George Lawrence (www.georgesdrumshop.com) that pushed me over.

I was at my father's photography studio at about age 4 and this band came in for pictures. The drummer (George Lawrence) had his gear all set up and then he proceeded to play a drum solo. I was completely convinced that drums were why I was planted here. I remember the kit to. GL had a big ol' Slingerland kit- toms all the way from 6" to 18"....single kick and I could barely reach the pedals.

Now, I'm 37 and still playing. Not on a casual basis though. If I don't play I don't eat! In my career I have over 50 albums under my belt and am writing this from the road in Boulder, Colorado.

It's a crazy life and sometimes I wish I had pursued a "normal" existence. Maybe someday this crazy dream will pay itself off. In this day and age of plastic music, it's hard to do "your" thing and get paid for it. Either get a gig with a well-established act or have an "industry in" with your own band. It's maddening and frustrating at times, but really this is all I know.
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:30 pm

Cozy Powell - Dance With the Devil.

Nuff said.
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
Denny19
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:10 pm

I was brought up listening to the BeachBoys, and I'd run around the living room, when my parents would play the LPs, banging things (ie. the sofa) along with the tracks. I never sat behind a proper kit, with proper sticks until I was thirteen.

I also did the infamous 'playing of the saucepans' when I was a toddler. 8)
Captain_Original
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:46 pm

Personally, I have no idea why I picked up a drum kit, my brother had a drum kit and he almost never played it, so I started playing it. I like the variety of music that you can play on drums, I guess.

That., and I got frustrurated at guitar, so I picked up a pair of sticks.=]
HEVY KEVY
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:55 pm

Mom and Dad wanted me to play John Denver campfire guitar, My fingers didn't want to do it. I went to my friend's house and played the couch with drum sticks while we cranked KISS and Ted Nugent. I was never allowed to play his "brother's" kit. One day the parents got together and I had that drumkit! Year's later I found out it was not his brother's kit, it was his, and he was not as good as I was getting to be. If something happened to my feet, I'd probably pick up a Bass guitar though, never enough bass players in MPLS area.
Jonboid
new
new

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:29 pm

well, what got me into playing drums was seeing buddy rich.
And being totally blown away... I was really young at the time and in the old house there wasn't enough room for a kit.
When we moved, dad bought me my first kit.. It was more or less buddy rich who inspired me to start. It just looked so free and liberating and it is. Also, i was told i had a natural rhythm too by my family and i found out that my grandad was a snare drummer for a scottish pipe band, my dad was a drummer back in his day and my uncle is currently a snare drummer for a marching band.. so i just gave it a go!
I feel really at home behind the kit and feel its something that i'm meant to be doing. Its an amazing feeling!

(yeah its cheesy but its just the way it is!)
XIxPxGX
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:34 pm

well i was obsessed with blink 182 and wanted to play guitar. i joined the percussion ensemble at school cause i thought it was cool. my music teacher mr mafucci taught me basic rudiments and the proper way to hold a stick. and i learned how to play a simple beat. so when my parents bought a house they bought me my export and i started playing.
Drum kit-pearl export select
Cymbals-sabian HH and aax
Pedal-single dw 5000
Heads
snare-evans genera hd dry
Toms-evans ec2 clear
Bass drum-Aquarian super kick 1 with evans pillow inside
Sticks-Vic Firth 5a
E dog
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:38 pm

I started because i saw this drummer with the coolest set up(or so it seemed to me at the time) and i just wanted to start
E dog

SpHs

Jazz
marching
concert
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:42 pm

The19thHole wrote:I started to play guitar, but then noticed i could sing so i dropped it . Then noticed i wasnt actually good at singing, so i picked up drums... because bass isnt really an instrument :D

Oh man, that's too funny!

Bass is SO an instrument, it's just that there are tons of bass players that aren't actually musicians!
miranda
new
new

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:42 pm

i started playing drums because my music class at school needed someone to play drums for a small show comming up. they decided to pick me (as i was learning piano at the time, and they already had someone on the piano) so they put me on drums- pretty much because there wasn't anything for me to play =P
picked it up pretty quick, then joined a band a month later.
THEunderUSEDoath33
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:03 pm

For Myself its your typical drummer story minus all the bullshit. Umm when i was real young i just naturally had a love for drums. My parents couldnt afford it or they just didnt want me to have a set. Either way when i was about 17 my friends took me to go see Blink 182 watching Travis Barker play was like a rude awakening kind of brought back those old feelings so i saved up bought my own kit been rocking ever since. PS i see Travis Barker doesnt get much love on this site. I just wanted to let it be known that yes there have been so many great drummer like Keith Moon, Jon Bohnam which are great to many cuz thats who they grew up on Travis is whay my self and many others in my generation grew up on and he is the reason and inspiration for many of the up coming drummers!!!!!!!!!!
Mapex, Remo, Vic Firth , Dw Hardware, Pork Pie Seats, Sabian

Correct Heads and Correct tunning = no need for gels, studio rings or anything thing stuck on your drum heads...
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:08 pm

becoz drums are to underrated over here. i wanna prove to ppl drums are a brillent instrument
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford