Why Drums?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:59 pm

What (who) made you want to start playing drums?

I've always felt the groove in all music and had the natural ability to find the time and rythm. Plus I have always thought the drums were the coolest instrument to play... They are big bad and loud!!!!

Oh, and Animal was my favorite Muppet 8)
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:01 pm

I really don't know what made me want to play. Just always had a love for the drums and wanted to play them. I picked it up quick and am a natural.
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
The19thHole
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:38 pm

I started to play guitar, but then noticed i could sing so i dropped it . Then noticed i wasnt actually good at singing, so i picked up drums... because bass isnt really an instrument :D
Yamaha Drums
HHX's
Paiste Signatures..mmm
:-)
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:43 pm

I tried piano, but I wasn't any good. I saw the drummer from the Ohio Players (70's funk band), and saw his set bouncing as he was groovin, and I was hooked. Then came Peter Criss, Roger Taylor, and John Bonham (oops, show my age :lol: )
big_bad_drummer_ boi
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:48 pm

Same with me i could feel the groove and figuire out the time of music at an early age.I was in love with Led Zepplin and Bonham's thunderous triplet fills made me think "wtf i wana d that".
Out of all instruments drums for me is the most expressive.One snare accent can show your mood or change the whole atmosphere of a song and the listener's feelings.
Drums Kick guitars arse anyday! :twisted:
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:28 pm

We wanted to start a band and I was the only one who could afford to buy drums at the time......
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:32 pm

i dont remember the specific reason i started playing drums...i remember signing up for band in middle school just cause i thought itd be an easy class,picked the drums cause my parents said no,found music was easy to understand to the point where i wanted to do it after school because it was fun to see what i couldnt play as opposed to what i could,then came high school,drumline,need i say more.......
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:20 am

Shalaq wrote:We wanted to start a band and I was the only one who could afford to buy drums at the time......

hahahahahah
same thing with me + I was the only one who though that drums are way cooler than guitar :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
drum_bum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:29 am

started a band with a mate.couldnt play drums originaly so started to learn after nagging the parents for lessons.got a few basic lessons and am self taught from there on in.opened my eyes to music even more and like to take influences from roger taylor,keith moon,dave grohl and chad smith..3 years on,still playin and have spent alot of money on my kit.
Mapex M Birch kit
Zildjian cymbals
Evans G2 heads
Pro Mark sticks with vatar grip tape
DW double kick
thefats
new
new

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:53 am

well i had said since i was a kid(like 10 im 21 now) that i wanted to play eather bass or drums and my friend picked up the bass at about 15 so i had no choice in the matter LOL it wasn't till i was about 19 that i finnaly got the balls to buy some drums it was my friends b-day and we went to gamble and i won like 200 bucks so i was like time to get a kit... im still like 800 bucks in debt for the kit but it was worth every penny !!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:20 am

Well, I always ended up being Tommy Lee in my Motley Crue air band because I always listened to Sandy Nelson records (ya know, those big black disc things!)

So, I have to blame Mr. Sandy Nelson and then Tommy!
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
in regards to myself
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:25 pm

for me it started bak years ago i didnt even notice it untill ppl in class asked me if i played the drums cuz i have A.D.D and i just hum songs in my head and i always tap my ffingers on the desk and ya then blink 182's enema of the state and i was like fuck then i got drjm stix and started air drumming and my parents would see me and they bought me a drum set and from ya that how i got into it
I saw Jesus on the beach
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:27 am

My dad was pro drummer back int he 70's and he still plays every week now, so its always been in and around my family, my dad never tried to get me into drumming he always wanted me 2 but he wanted me to want to play, and sure enough i did, that was 9 years ago and ive never looked back, drummer for life
Heresy! \M/
CooknessMunster
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:33 am

I started plying bass. But then at the time I couldn't find any drummers to start playing with. So I started playing drums too. Then I just started having more fun with the drums.
JD
new
new

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:35 am

I was always a big music fan but it wasn't until high school that I pursued playing music and even that was wanting to play guitar. Since there was no guitar in the HS band I picked what I thought to be the next coolest instrument. :wink: It's been over 20 years now and I'm still very active.[/url]
~JD~