What made you a better drummer?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

justin headley
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:40 pm

Playing with authority!!! and working with a click
Pearl Drums(Endorsed)
Remo Heads
Vic-Firth Drumsticks
Zildjian Cymbals

www.myspace.com/justinhdrums

www.Davidshelbymusic.com
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:05 pm

I think playing with a band helped me alot! When i auditioned for the band I still play in now, i drummed for like 2 years and had to master the drum parts of the last drummer who had been drumming for over 20 years...The band began pushing me and my skills further and further till I was able to play the songs. Also I have been taking lessons from the beginning, and always was able to pratice at home, wich helped alot!
taataataataatatatatadakadakadakadakadak!
skytoucher
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:31 pm

Learning that if I cant play something perfect in my sleep for 10-15 minutes then I need to slow the metronome down.
gOneMaD
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:13 pm

recording every band practice and solo practice then listening to the cd over and over again nit picking it til I had the next cd to listen too. Its much easier to hear what you really got going on when your not behind the kit.
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:52 pm

gOneMaD wrote:recording every band practice and solo practice then listening to the cd over and over again nit picking it til I had the next cd to listen too. Its much easier to hear what you really got going on when your not behind the kit.

That's really true!! I noticed that when we recorded our second album, wich was the first album, where I played on, that when I heared the songes when they we're already finished, the complete song, I listnend to it from a different perspective, and I imediatly understood why there where certain bridges here and there. For the first time I heard the entire song as a song, and not just, "oh here comes that double bass part, or now comes the blast of whatever. Now we also record each rehearsal, so that we can listnen to it from the "listners point of view" and I think that's REALLY important.
taataataataatatatatadakadakadakadakadak!