What made you a better drummer?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Mike T
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:36 am

I have to agree most times less is more,Ian paice and Matt abs are great examples of Human metranomes...But as to getting better practice ,and practice more them play live all you can the more you play under pressure the better you will get and more comfortable..and that is the key to getting good confidence...and not trying to over play what you are capable of playing...
JustPlayDrums
new
new

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:19 pm

Drumcorps. Drumcorps. Drumcorps. a strong foundation in rudiments will take you a looooong way. Also all the jazz i was exposed to at the FSU college of music greatly influenced my styleas a rock drummer.
March Drumcorps. Drum Lefty.
torkid47
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:23 pm

For me the turning point was quiting my job (and getting a night job) so I could stay home all day and PRACTICE.
Every kind of music I could find.
Borrow c.d.'s from friends & family to learn new songs, get a teacher,
and play till you hurt! (then take 5 and get back at it)
Some people have talent, I just practice every day.

MRSTICKSTUFF
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:43 pm

Playing many college parties and local bars back in the 70-80's with this thought in mind, If i was watching this band as i sit behind the drumkit, I want to hear a good strong back beat to something that i can dance to. I want to hear strong fills with emotion and feeling to what you are playing. I want to hear a band of musicians that listen to each-other then him or herself.

Practice is good-- RLRL-RLRRLRLL- RRLLRRLL But if you don't look, listen and feel your partners, you have missed a big part of being a better drummer.

Stick Stuff Guy
Mike Anderson
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:56 pm

In 1988 I had been through the whole drum corps routine, worked through Stick Control, got my funk together with Rick Latham's books, spent many hours working on sambas and songo, fleshed out my chops on the Weckl books, worked on groove and timing to a click track for thousands of hours. I thought I was ready to move to LA.

Then I picked up John Patitucci's debut jazz CD on a whim, and I heard Vinnie Colaiuta in a real shedding context beyond Zappa or Chaka Khan for the first time. And I realized I didn't know anything. Metric modulation, playing over the bar "musically," phrasing ... it just blew my mind. That led me to get into more Vinnie and return to Tony Williams. That applications go so much farther than just jazz. They apply to everything, right down to the absolutely insane hand-to-foot fills while maintaining an ostinato on the ride cymbal.

I've been in pursuit of that level playing ever since. I'm nowhere close, but it has dramatically improved my drumming all along the way.
Erik
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:44 pm

Hi ya'll. What made me a much better drummer / musician,
was... 1 day I was not afraid to 'groove' to the music. Bob my head,
'groove'- just really get into it. "Feeling" it more allowed my feeble
A.D.D. brain to soak in much more of the music (becoming part of it)-
with this, I felt like the tracks were better laid to ride on.

[/b]
Hi.
MrMcFetus
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:03 pm

NWCrusher wrote:Playing with a click 8)

Yeah man, same here.
Tama.
Zildjian.
Vic Firth.
Remo.

92% of teens switch to rap. If you're in the 8% that don't, spread the word!
meizmatt
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:29 pm

i think the most beneficial thing to my playing has to be playing with other musicians....i play mostly rock/metal, and one of my best friends plays in a jazz/funk/R&B band and i sit in whenever they need a drummer or a bassist, or even just a guy to press the record button for them...it doesn't matter to me...cause most of the time I'm there i'm picking up little things from watching and listening to them, and its amazing what you can learn in one day....just my two pennies
You don't see me
You don't see me at all
WingsOfMajesty
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:21 pm

Playing with other musicians very early on (like... three or four months into playing the drums) and Mike Portnoy.
Deanoatc
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:31 am

What made me a better drummer was confidence in my playing, Practice, And learning how to recover from a screw up and make it sound like it was supposed to happen. Before I would just stop playing and be embarrassed. most of the time nobody notices. but yeah, Practice makes me better every day.
Benji Beutlin
new
new

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:02 am

...definitly the work with vent with it's progressive/experimental style according to bands like tool and ISIS...

The work as vents drummer claimed (not sure, but I think this might be incorrect (gramar)) to develop a even better feeling and understanding for complex guitar rythmics and song structures.
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:16 am

Things that made me better was asking other drummers about different chops that I heard them do.

Making mistakes live... If I made a mistake live ( I mean a bad one ) I never made that mistake again.

Joining a band being told " if you can't play perfect we will replace you". Well that blew my mind being told that but made me get my playing together. The situation was I joined a popular working band that played for a living and I was only with them 2 weeks and learned 40 songs note for note...I thought I did good, they wanted more.
Last edited by Spydr2000 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dream Big, Live the Life

Kyle
EKoolaidsDrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Practicing all these crazy fills i picked up ON A METRONOME.....

Now I was lucky enough to own a Vdrum so I could change the "sound" of the hits.
Practice to your favorite songs... Try singles play 4/4, 8ths and 16ths and 32nd note throughout the song.... It kept me interested in practicing because I'd challenge myself to play doubles in 32nd time from the verse to the chorus then 16th notes back into verse and vice-versa.....

WHAT YOU PRACTICE ON YOUR HANDS COPY WITH YOUR FEET!!!!!!!

PRACTICING GOOD TIMING WILL ALWAYS MAKE YOU A BETTER DRUMMER!!!

FINDING WHAT WORKS FOR YOUR BODY AND MIND will make you better drummer......
Drummers are like money.....It's better IN THE POCKET!!!!!

Mapex Pro M 8",10", 12", 14", 16" Rack toms 18x22" Bass Maple Shells 5x14" Maple snare

DW 9000 Pedals+Hi hat stand
Gibralter Rack, LP Percussion
fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:03 pm

Time, experience, and jamming along to cds, learning things from other drummers.
Piddywiffle
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:04 am

I always find myself re-doing fills. IE, it doesn't go right, or I hit any 1 thing late. Well I, at this point, will just repeat the last few counts and re-do the fill... over and over until it sounds perfect to my ears... then I move on.

So I guess it's all about screwing up and then going back and fixing it. Never be bashful.

Also helps to listen to all woks of music. Even those without drums. Try and sit back and play the drums in your head to it. Maybe later take that beat to application. At this point it's all about influence.

heh, im kinda all over the place now *groan*
Falling down the stairs at the age of five was my first drum solo.

"They arn't dirty pants dude... That film is a protective barrier from all other bacterium" Quote from my roommate approx 1 month ago.