What made you a better drummer?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:48 pm

What specific thing did you learn on drums, that you would say made you from an OK drummer to a better than average drummer? Was it a song, technique or maybe something else(?)...
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:55 pm

My experience! The more you play, the better you get as long as you work hard. The more tunes you know, the more you have in your bag as well. You start learning things about your playing when you play 20+ shows a month.
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
thefats
new
new

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:24 pm

well i will say that joining a band after about 2 months sky rocketed my skills but other than that i would say listen to all types of music any thing you can get your hands on that has drums in it when i went from a punk cd collection to a mix of punk ska reagae indie rock emo jazz it really helped me with my fills and my general style to not sound like a man beating some garbage can lids togeather
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dahlgrendrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:30 pm

Working with one of Joe Morello's understudies :) Taught me everything I was doing wrong, and how to fix it, it opened up TONS of doors for me.
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:29 pm

Playing with a click 8)
big_bad_drummer_ boi
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:43 pm

Trying to learn bizzare pieces,and working at it constantly.
Ive been learning a tonne of Dreamtheater and Meshuggah songs lately and ive found analysing the crap out of them really helps in my overall creativity imensly..Afterall individual creativity and expression to me is what seperates us all in drumming. :shock:
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:29 pm

Listening to music- because overtime it made me listen to my bandmates.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
SynDigiTal
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:03 pm

I learned guitar. After doing that oddly enough I got better at drums.

Other than that little thing... Time is all stuff took. Over time I got better.
"pop culture can lick the back end of my dick"

-Derek Hatfield
CooknessMunster
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:12 pm

Practice, practice, practice!
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:13 pm

Lots and lots of pot smoking. That and Sam Watson from the Apex Theory. What an underrated band.
animalien
new
new

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:41 pm

I am not a better drummer. I am a learned soul. I have seen kids play better than me. I can hold my own - and I still practice my rudiments every day. I have learned a lot and try to learn more as much as possible.

My favorite story comes from a guitarist named Randy Rhodes. When he entered each city for a show, he would find the first available instructor and get a lesson from them. Didn't matter what the skillset of the teacher, just as long as he got the lesson. He said that he got one new thing out of each lesson he attended.

While I haven't done that a lot, I do pay attention to what I can learn. I watch the begginers' videos. I hear what each instructor has to teach. Never know when a different idea in approaching playing will help me tenfold.

For instance, in 2005, I ran into the Dom Famularo cyber lessons (http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/domfamularo.html). He introduced me to open sticking (left hand playing the hat as opposed to the right hand). It was a difficult change, but it opened me up to the whole L-R-L-R experience.

A lot of drummers think R-L-R-L. Even some Left handed drummers that play left handed sets think R-L-R-L. Fixing that stigma can help a lot.

I still struggle with some open sticking techniques. The biggest is ghost notes with the right hand on the snare. But I keep at it. There are a lot of times I can be playing a good complex beat, then switch from cross-stick to open sticking and can keep the beat the same. Then again sometimes I screw the whole thing up. But eventually it falls into place.

I could say I am good at a rock beat, but then a band like Fall Out Boy comes along and all of a sudden the beat changes. I then have to learn a new idea.

Here is a good test. Play "Honky Tonk Women" (Rolling Stones) or "Gimmie Some Lovin" (Spencer Davis Group). Play both the drum part AND the cowbell part. If they were straight "Bang Bang Bang Bang" cowbell parts it would be easy. But add the bell paterns in and all of a sudden the rock beat is harder to play.

I will say I have a good beat and a good sounding kit. I work at getting by. That's all I can do for now.[/url]
fourthnail
new
new

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:46 am

well I would have to say.... playing in a worship band, and also with my band that I have been in for a while now.... Everything else just came naturally!!!![/u]
DrummerDoug
new
new

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:47 am

Playing different styles. Definately made me a better drummer. Jamming with people playing everything from the beatles to Skinless. Lets you branch out and try different things.
drumbum10
new
new

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:23 am

i found what made me a better drummer is playing with as many different musicians as i can. what alot of drummers forget is that its not about how flashy your fills are and how well you can solo, it's all about the groove and thats what gets you paid at the end of the day!
im 17 soon to turn 18, ive been drumming for nearly 7 years! i don't really have a life out side drumming and i practice about 4 hours a day.
drumbot
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:24 am

I agree with everyone and have been through most of those issues. But for me it truly came when I let go of my inferiority complex about drumming ei: not being as good as such and such etc. When I stopped caring about who I wasn't and just played like me, I started to really develope freely. That and working on the craft from a spiritual point of view. Physically mentally musically. It all counts.
if it sounds good it is good