beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:39 pm

is there a way or just nah???
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:50 pm

If a cymbal is already cracked, you can drill a hole in the end of the crack, you can cut out the crack (if this is a crack on the cymbal - then you cut it out in a shape of a semicircle c or a triangle < )
You can also cut the cymbal so that it it smaller in diameter.
If your cymbals are not cracked, there are only a couple of points to notice:
-watch the washers and sleeves. Replace them when theyr'e worn out.
- store them properly( in a bag, or lying on a soft surface- never on their edges)
-Play the cymbal properly( don't hit on the edge in a focefull manner, don't dig into the cymbal, don't hit a crash with a tip to get a crash sound- use the shoulder)
-Hit the cymbals only as hard as to get a full sound. There is no need to overplay a paper-thin cymbal if it needs just a touch to sound at its' fullest level.
Hope this helps.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:29 pm

don't hit 'em so hard :wink:to avoid cracking them in the future. watch the angle that your cymbals are positioned.or the way you hit them. don't hit them with the middle of you stick.i keep my cymbals tilted slightly forward..never cracked a cymbal in my life!!!
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
imadrummer582000
new
new

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:50 pm

hit them differently and not straight down on them, use more like a slicing movement . its hard to explain but I havent cracked a cymbal since. write back if you get what I mean.
Ruben
PaisteAndPearl
new
new

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:17 pm

Shalaq wrote:If a cymbal is already cracked, you can drill a hole in the end of the crack, you can cut out the crack (if this is a crack on the cymbal - then you cut it out in a shape of a semicircle c or a triangle < )

That works well if the crack is on the edge. If the crack is inward from the edge then you can drill holes at either end of the crack to prevent it from spreading. This method is called "stop drilling"

As said the best way not to crack a cymbal is to hit it properly. Use a swiping motion (hit the cymbal on an angle) not a forceful downblow. NEVER try to create a crash sound bashing the cymbal with the tip of your stick and don't overplay the cymbal.
hwesley111
new
new

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:18 pm

I've been breaking about 3 cymbals a year. It's a drag. But all the advice above is true, and seems to make a big difference. It's really a matter of changing your technique. My first studio gig, the engineer told me I didn't hit hard enough... ever since then I tried to hit a lot harder. It worked. My back beat's never sounded better, but damn, Zildjian A Custom's don't come cheap...

Time to re-work my approach :D

_heath
Stop by and say hi: www.myspace.com/craigsbrother
Daddy Crush
new
new

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:36 pm

hwesley111 wrote:I've been breaking about 3 cymbals a year. It's a drag. But all the advice above is true, and seems to make a big difference. It's really a matter of changing your technique. My first studio gig, the engineer told me I didn't hit hard enough... ever since then I tried to hit a lot harder. It worked. My back beat's never sounded better, but damn, Zildjian A Custom's don't come cheap...

Time to re-work my approach :D

_heath

I hear ya Heath. I also play Zildjians and other than my K ride and my High China, the rest are all A Customs - I have 15", 16", and 18" crashes, 10" splash, and 14" Mastersound hats and I'm averaging replacing one of those crashes a year due to cracking. And I do crash with a swiping motion and play with dynamics, so it's not like I'm bashing the hell out of them all the time or anything. I also am careful not to ever store them (even in my cymbal bag!) on their edges, only laying flat; I keep the sleeves and pads on my stands fresh and new as well and don't have issues with keyholing. I've just been of the opinion that if I want to have that distinct A Custom sound, then I'm going to have to accept that they will break in time and I will have to eat that cost in order to play the cymbal I like the most for what my band does.

Oh, and as far as stop-drilling goes, I tried that once and it totally changed the sound of the cymbal to a dirty sound, so it's not for me. But it did in fact stop the spread of the crack. I finished the show, signed the cymbal, and gave it to the club where they hung it on their wall. (free advertising for the band, right? ;) lol) I had to drop another chunk of change on a new one, but my sound is important enough to me that it was worth it.

Peaces!
Jon
Hear Crush Bash!
http://www.deltarage.net
www.drumthunder.com
hwesley111
new
new

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:00 pm

Thanks for the reply.

You ever tried the A Custom Projection crashes!? They are just as sweet sounding, but thicker and more durable! I had a sweet set for our last LP... they lasted a lot longer than the regular A Custom's... 'course, I still broke them eventually. I think I just like to hit hard :shock:

Funny thing about trying to fix broken cymbals: When I was in high school we had access to a metal band saw... me and my buddy brought in three or four broken cymbals and had them cut down past the cracks, and were amazed by the sound they made... they were definately different, almost like effects cymbals. But I ended up loving this little 9 inch cymbal I had, to the point of being super bummed when it disappeared from our practice room ten years later! It was almost like an ice bell, or whatever they call those things.

Not a bad way to play with your broken stuff.
Stop by and say hi: www.myspace.com/craigsbrother
punchfacerv
new
new

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:00 pm

i beaT the snot outta my cymbals on stage, but i play very lightly when recording or writing. i've accepted the fact that they break. my ride and hats don't break though. but i like the fact that the others crack and it gives me a chance to try something else. i'll go with paper thins to heavy brass depending on how i feel .i've drill, ive welded, i've cut, but the bottom line is, once the break happens, the sound goes out the window. i keep mine flat and low as hell too. my kit's so low, that the top of my tom and floor toms are level with the top of my bass drum(22"), when ur on stage, you gotta sacrifice some gear sometimes. sound is one thing, but you have to look good too! :) and thats 22years of drummin talkin to ya!

-rog
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:13 pm

First off the main thing is preventative measures. Are your cymbals high and flat? They stand a greater chance of cracking because you will be hitting the edge with a more inward motion.

I suggest lowering the cymbals or giving them a small tilt so that you play "off" of them instead of "into" them.

The kinds of cymbals you use also influence the probability of breakage. If you have very thin cymbals and are beating the crap out of them, chances are you're breaking them more often. Try a heavier model to get a bit more volume from them.

Hand-hammered cymbals tend to break less. With hand-hammering the hammer patterns are not uniform (like on an k. Zildjian) and therefore have a bit more give and resiliency. Uniformly-hammered cymbals have definite molecular structure in the way that the hammering creates rings and it's usually on a ring that a cymbal will break.

If you are still breaking things, go see a qualified instructor to have a look at your technique and see what's up with it. Usually the problem can be solved or diminished slightly with a good self-examination of how you are striking things.

~B
CooknessMunster
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:28 pm

There is no stopping them ....only delaying them.....After my cymbals start to crack I use them for all my practices... untill the just make no sound anymore.....I keep a good set for shows. That has made my purchasing of cymbals alot less frequent.
jwoo10
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:21 pm

YES... They're gonna break..

Phooie all this talk about how to NOT break them.. Balogna

Yes you can preserve them.. but eventually they're gonna break!

I've played NOTHING but Zildjians for the last 37 years... the absoloute BEST cymbals made IMHO.. BUT I like to use thin crashes... THEY BREAK.. no matter where you hit them... Given time they will it's as simple as that..

THAT being said... Fixes are drilling the holes to stop the breakage... cut the cymbal down to a smaller diameter... (which usually SUX and kills the sound.. although you can occasionally find a "Keeper"... Otherwise throw it away... er donate it to some bar.. or hang it on yer wall.. whatever.. just NEVER hold back ...

I say WHY limit yourself BEAT the livin shit out of them.. when they break.. they break...

get a sponsorship.. and get FREE cymbals...
dahlgrendrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:37 am

Copper is a very mallable metal prone to fatique, it will break. Sorry, it's the nature of the beast ;)
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:01 am

It's just a necessary evil of drumming. Cymbals break! I've gone through a bunch. A good crash will last me about 3 years or so. When they start to go, you can't do anything for them. Drilling doesn't really work, I've done it enough to know and it takes away from the sound. You just gotta go out and get a new one. Keep the companies in business!
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
soliddrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:39 am

I play drums for a large church in Sydney, and we bash the living crap out of our cymbals - the guys in the drum shop shake their heads and tell us that nobody they've ever known, including heavy rock bands hits as hard as we do. :shock: I guess there are some things you can do to prevent it, but in the end, it's about serving the song, which is what we drummers are born to do!
Skill tempered with relevance and simplicity.