Mistakes that drummers make

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:59 pm

Zen drummer made right on comments.
Yes, everyone in the band is responsible for the time. WE ARE NOT THE RHYTHM POLICE!
All musicians need to practice w/ a metronome to internalize good time feel.
Also: tensing up instead of relaxing can lead to speeding up. Relaxing and breathing leads to playing smoother and with more confidence. THe more demanding the part, the more it makes you nervous, the more you need to relax. This is fun.
Later
Scott
www.myspace.com/critikalmasstheband
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
shirleythewerewolf
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:10 am

I'd definitely agree with everyone who said tensing up when playing; also, I've found mistakes my drummer friends make often is being too afraid of making a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of making them, but if it happens I know it's not the end of the world. Plus I try to cover it up lol.
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:26 am

Yeah Werewolf
The trick is to relax and not be too serious.
But the real trick is to have played the part so many times that you can play it in your sleep!
That's what breeds confidence is practice, practice, practice. When learning Satch Boogie by Satriani/Campitelli it took me at least two months to really get that down....and now it's a part of me. So, I guess the mistake would be not practicing the part enough. It needs to become natural like riding a bike and repititon is the only way to get there.
Drums are the thing.
shirleythewerewolf
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:43 pm

I couldn't agree more. So many drummers I know personally just don't put in the practice time as our guitar or bass playing counterparts do. I still practice on my own for a minimum of 2 hours everyday, in addition to my band practicing. I realize not everyone has that kind of time, but whenever you do, it's so extremely beneficial to take as much advantage of practice time as possible. With drumming, as with many things, practice truly does make perfect.
soliddrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:16 am

making sure you lock in your kick with the bass guitar's groove. knowing which one takes the lead and which one follows - the drummer or the bassist (every situation is different). I see this time and time again and it's what separates the average from the great.
Skill tempered with relevance and simplicity.
thursday_1134
new
new

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:00 pm

CooknessMunster wrote:In my personel opinion I feel the biggest mistakes that drummers could make is not using a metronome. For some people time comes naturally but others have to work at it. When I taught elementary school percussion the students that applied the metronme to thier basic ruddiments and started figuring out the concept of time, became lil shredders. Reading is also a mistake that drummers make. They don't take the time to figure out how to read music. If you can read & write music you can write down your ideas anywhere and pull out when you are behind the kit or if you hear something cool write it down and mimic it when you are able to get behind the kit.

i agree totally. its not that hard to read music, why not learn while you can. another thing i notice, is a lot of drummer would rather look "cool" behind their kits than actually know how to play.
REVEREND_HUDSON
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:33 am

CooknessMunster wrote:In my personel opinion I feel the biggest mistakes that drummers could make is not using a metronome. For some people time comes naturally but others have to work at it. When I taught elementary school percussion the students that applied the metronme to thier basic ruddiments and started figuring out the concept of time, became lil shredders. Reading is also a mistake that drummers make. They don't take the time to figure out how to read music. If you can read & write music you can write down your ideas anywhere and pull out when you are behind the kit or if you hear something cool write it down and mimic it when you are able to get behind the kit.

This is a good one. Feel what you may about recording with or playing live to metronomes. BUT WHEN PRACTICING it can NEVER hurt to play to metronome. Our engineer was showing us how grossly all over the beat some of the metal bands are he records are by turning on the bpm grid. (NOT TO SAY METAL DRUMMERS HAVE BAD TEMPO - DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND! JUST QUOTING HIM!)
9 times out of 10 the song was 10-15 even 20 bpm faster at the end.

I know sometimes we go from writing a song to recording it, and you play it to click, how much variance you have when you play to click. Even the best drummers wonder around the beat by a few bpm. I have been playing just shy of 20 years and I know practicing with a metronome still helps me. We are but human!

Yeah, and reading music is a definite plus. UNDERSTANDING what you are playing, in my opinion, helps with creativity....

My 2 cents...
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:22 pm

I use the Groove Guide by DRumperfect.
It shows you a digital readout in 1/4 notes of the bpm's you are playing.
It's way cool! Rudiments to a metronome is the only way though.
Later
Scott