Mistakes that drummers make

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

gonflyn
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:19 pm

Yeah, good replies. My votes definately go to poor timekeeping, overplaying (which seem to often go hand in hand), and lack of awarenes of self/band.

How many time have you been to see an amateur band whos drummer is so busy riffing out that the beat suffers? It's fine if you can play like Neil Peart but if not, it can ruin the whole show.
Definately one of my pet peeves, although I will admit my bias of rather listening to a Bonhamesque style drummer anyday. Syncopated, but simple and solid. Remeber the drums are the backbone, the groove, keep the beat and the fills will be icing on the cake!

Learning a different instrument can help hugely with situational awarness in a band setting. While originally playing the drums, I later took up the guitar for many years. Lately, as I have become interested in drums again, I have noticed that I am much more aware of how they fit into the group as a whole, realizing the importance of accents, volume control, etc, general finesse that has made me a better drummer.
I think you cant overlook the importance of harmony and, if you're really lucky, a smokin chemistry within a band. It can make a bunch of good musicians sound great.

I second the motion for no spandex after 40! good one.
Bonzo21290
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:53 pm

Rob the Drummer wrote:Not listening. Lot of drummers just play the tune how they know it and don't listen to what's going on around them.

definitely..
Zildjian
Pearl
DW
LP
Evans
Vic Firth.
paiste01
new
new

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:07 pm

I would much rather see a drummer rock out a tight beat to a Zepplin song rather that trying to add a bunch of mumbo jumbo to it. Less can be more remember that
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:02 pm

The thing i see the most drummer do is when playing a cover song they don't play it right. Such as playing the wrong beat, playing a fill thats not even musicially correct nor fits. Basically the mistake is they didn't learn the song... I believe there are certain things that apply to live drumming such as accents, the feel of the song.. are you not just playing a beat, drum beats may be played many different ways, they could be played on top of the beat, slightly behind the beat, soft or loud. How far do you go learning a song?
Mid Youth Crisis
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:37 pm

I think a huge mistake some drummers make is creating these obscenely huge kits that they don't use more than half of. I mean, if you're Mike Portnoy, Terry Bozzio or Grant Collins...fair enough! But the whole "for show" concept is a load of toss to me. It reeks of cheesy 80's hair metal.
Those who do this need to go play in traffic.
"Have you heard...Have you listened lately?"
Juice_Terry
new
new

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:20 pm

The biggest mistake I made for years was big fuck off sticks and hammering like a mad bastard.
when i got back into playing I could'nt believe how easy it was to just flay with a set of 5 a's and keep the rim's for the special stuff..
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:07 pm

There are many things and I think most center around a lack of dedication and understanding.

What I find really annoying is when drummers stick loads and loads of gaffa tape on a skin because of overtones and then destroy the tone completely.

There's no denying it's a more laborious process to tune a drum than it is a guitar, but it's a skill that every drummer be they rock, funk, jazz, metal or whatever NEEDS to learn.

Plus, with all the heads available now the need to dampen is less than ever before, if at all!

I also think the other big downfall is that drummers don't apply themselves properly during practice... particularly bugs me with one of my students...
The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:03 pm

zen_drummer wrote: But, if you can't groove on just a kick, hi-hat and snare, then a huge pile of choices isn't going to fix the basic problems.

What an absolutely great statement. So true.
murder_junkie_87
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:46 pm

one mistake that i have seen most commonly would have to be when drummers are you using there floor toms and theyhit they're ride in the process.
DRUM FAST, DIE.
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:19 pm

murder_junkie_87 wrote:one mistake that i have seen most commonly would have to be when drummers are you using there floor toms and theyhit they're ride in the process.

That's not a mistake......it's a lucky accident!
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:39 pm

Waylon wrote:
murder_junkie_87 wrote:one mistake that i have seen most commonly would have to be when drummers are you using there floor toms and theyhit they're ride in the process.

That's not a mistake......it's a lucky accident!

lol.
Smitdog
new
new

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:40 pm

In most of the shows I've been to recently, I've been seeing that the bass players are setting up on the drummers ride cymbal side.
I've always learned that the bass player should be on the hi-hat side. So it's easier for him/her to lock in. Maybe it's more of a jazz thing, but I play in a 3 piece rock band and our bass player automatically set up off of the hi-hat. As far as drum set up I use a standard 4 peice set up (classic jazz style) It enables me to keep everything in tight and close, so I can get around easily. Alot of the younger guys who are playing huge kits are amazed how I can get so much out of such a small set up.
It comes down to one's style and what they are comfortable with.
But, to have the speed of some of these young guys would be sweet.
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:32 pm

Bass players should always be on the left as far as I am concerned. It seems to work better that way in my 20+ years playing. I am also just really used to it and it's really comfortable. It facilitates better communication in the rhythm section.

Miles Davis said something to the effect of: If you make a mistake do it again so it sounds like you did it on purpose.
Of course that depends on the nature of the "mistake." Famous producer Eddie Kramer said that Jimmy Page traded on mistakes in live performance.

www.myspace.com/critkalmasstheband
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:43 pm

zen_drummer wrote:
And TIME... I have often said that many drummers that are accused of having bad time actually have GREAT meter, unfortunately, they lack the strength, confidence and skills to push the band where they need to go. In this sense, many drummers that have been accused of having bad time really don't have bad time, but the BANDS they are in occasionally do. OK, Here's a good subject for a poll... How many of us have played with guitar players that try to run away with the song only to turn to you and say "you're rushing"? These idiots are the first to point the finger and break the drummers confidence, and the bands confidence in the drummer. It's a death spiral. It's like being towed down the hiway by a truck that's going 95 miles an hour and the cop gives YOU the ticket instead of the tow truck driver! This is why it is ABSOLUTELY important to be able to play with a click or a metronome. When your runaway guitar player points the finger, make him play with the metronome and show him the problem is about him... Remember, being the timekeeper means YOU are in charge. When they try to bust on you for being "off" you need to be able to show them WHY it's going off, and you need to direct the band on how to make these corrections so it no longer happens. This requires the confidence that you are actually right and can prove it. This ONLY comes from practicing YOUR parts with a metronome so you know you are right. When it comes down to it, you need to have the confidence to actually lead your band, instead of following them everyplace they pull you.

Very well said. In fact I agree 100% with all your points.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
I AR MONKEY
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:39 am

how about protecting your ears?

Ive been playing for like a year and a half and only in the last few months have I realized I need to protect my ears more and begun wearing muffs/plugs etc.

But its allready done damadge and I can tell. Also alot of the drumms I know say they never wear anything to protect there ears.

I think this is a mistake, one that hasnt been mentioned yet.