Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:15 pm

any opinions on this particular drumset? I found a cheap used one for 400 in great condition, I just don't know much about the set itself. I'm in a metal band and I don't hear much of metal drummers using Yamaha drums, so I'd like some advice. How's the volume and I saw complaints about it in the "drumset you're disappointed in" thread and was wondering if anyone had anything good to say about it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:47 pm

http://www.chinook.pl/mp3/index.php check out this bands mp3s. Their drummer plays a YSC The heads are probably pinstripes or G2s.

For metal players playing Yamaha sets check out the Polish death metal band Vader. Doc(RIP :( ) played Yamaha Maple custom 12 13 14 16 toms. The kicks were a YSC, but triggered.
I also heard a metal band Dragon playing a YSC set, and they sounded OK.
I think you should do a soundcheck if you can. Also I think it really depends on proper heads and tuning to achieve a sound desirable for metal.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:16 am

Stage Customs are really decent kits. I played one today and the kick sounded great! I didn't like the snare though
dim my eyes if they should compromise
paul89
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:29 am

I think ,that it's relly good choice. I played on this set and I have to tell you: Sound is great with evans g2 coated drumhead. If you think ,that it's snip... Always you can sell :P
Pearl, Istanbul, Saluda, Evans. Dw 5000 :)
punkdrummergirl
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:58 am

so i own this kit...and i loved it until the lugs started snapping off. i contacted yamaha and got all new ones...so hopefully it was just a bad set of lugs i got. i'm planning on eventually buying a gretsch though, so i don't have to worry about this anymore. haha.
screamkevin

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 am

I've been playing Yamaha drums for years, and can generally answer a lot of questions about them if you have them. I've never heard of the Nouveau lugs snapping off, that's rather curious. Are you sure they snapped off in a broken manner? They do attach to the shell at a "nodal point" on the shell, and they are supposed to come off, it makes head changes easier.

I also run a group on Yahoo for people who play Yamaha Acoustic drums, we're lucky to have some top-level endorsers (including Erik Smith and Dave Mattacks) as group members, along with Jim Haler, the product manager of Yamaha USA.

If you'd like to join, you'll need a Yahoo! ID, then go here and sign on up!

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ya ... m_players/
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
grimey mike
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:31 am

i like yamaha drums, one of my drum teachers kit is one, that sounds really nice, and i use one that is at the place i practice... thats really nice too, and has taken a beating and is fine. pretty sure they are both stage customs. and thats a good price!

hope it is some help!
Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:13 pm

thanks everyone for all the advice! I'm going to go look at it this Saturday. It has a 10 12 16 tom setup, I've never personally played on that before, so I'm hoping its not as awkward as I imagine. If not, I could always buy a 13'' later.
badnutbeats
new
new

Post Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:04 am

As far as I know, the chance of snapping these lugs are so slim, that it is not something to worry about. And if you are still having second thoughts, know that Yamaha stands behind its product, and will replace any damaged lugs right away. For the price, there is no better sounding kit. And when it comes to hardware....This kit comes with the best hardware of any drumset on the market, hands down. The more I find out about what goes into the design and manufacturing of Yamaha drums, the more proud I become that I am so fortunate to be playing them. I would take a Stage Custom kit to any gig in the world, and know that I don't have to worry about anything.
"Protect the Groove"
punkdrummergirl
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:22 pm

screamkevin wrote:I've been playing Yamaha drums for years, and can generally answer a lot of questions about them if you have them. I've never heard of the Nouveau lugs snapping off, that's rather curious. Are you sure they snapped off in a broken manner? They do attach to the shell at a "nodal point" on the shell, and they are supposed to come off, it makes head changes easier.

No they actually broke...like cracked completely. I bought the kit brand new and one was broken right out of the box. There was 3 replacement lugs and I went through all of them and still needed more. Maybe I just got a bad set of lugs, but Yamaha was great to work with and I got new replacements (enough to replace the lugs on the whole kit). I haven't had any problems since.
seakrieg
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:35 am

I'm a metal drummer and use Yamaha. I've got a large 9000 series kit and a smaller Nouveau and they are both great kits. I'm a heavy player and they respond well to getting hit hard. My local drum shop turned me on to Aquarian heads which really make them sing as well.
But...I do use a brass Slingerland snare, although that is not necessarily a criticism of the stock Nouveau snare, just that I like the extra 'bite'.
Cheers
L
Iqa
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:10 am

I usually play the stage custom nouveau in class and it sounds pretty decent, especially with a Remo snare head. Somehow, I think it'd sound better in a more contemporary genre of music like funk or jazz. The feel of a metal song being played out with this kit may be mellowed too. Well, that's what I think, at least. Hope that helped. :lol: Happy drumming.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:11 pm

I own Yamaha Stage cutoms and I play pretty hard and they sound great!
I used to play Heavy Metal and I have owned two different Yamaha kits, they stood up to my beatings without flinching.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.