Great Piccolo Snares.

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

gadrmrboy
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:56 pm

i use the pearl piccolo 3X13
paul89
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:37 pm

Loop:

And.. What did u buy ? Which snare? If I were u I would buy FFS brass :) I have this amazing snare and I must tell u that It's the best piccolo which I've ever heard, it has power strike, it's very loud. But I wonder to change it for Maple :) I like warm concentrated sound than agressive sound of brass.
Pearl, Istanbul, Saluda, Evans. Dw 5000 :)
Drummer_chum
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:52 pm

I play a TAMA maple and I love it.
Check it out: www.myspace.com/georgechum

:twisted:
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:00 pm

well. there are MANY very good snares listed. non of which i dislike. and like some others i pretty much despise pearl. asside from their old carbon kits and the usa masters customs i really dont like anything they make as far as drums. and i really do like the free floater picolo. its prolly one of the most distinctive and recorded piccolos i can think of. ludwig make some nice entry priced ones. Pacific makes some that are nice. the mapex Black Panters are all insane. the 14x3(or 3.5) are insane drums. i love that series. and if your wanting a brasss one their brass model is a very good and reasonably priced model. i recomend a PureSound OFFSET snare wire set. its a 20(or 16 or 12) wire set. but has a section of 4 wires off between 2 sets of 10,8, or 6. it elimiates all buzz from other drums or guitar amps(i use it on all of my drums, the 20wire offset . ive been known to throw on a set of Puresound 42wire set and get it really groovin. on a picolo the 16 or 20 would work wonderfull . especialy with a brass i wou ld go with either a 20wire(puresound blasters), 20wire offset(my faveorite for general use), or the 42wire set. ive never tried the 42wire set on a picolo. but i know it works good on my 5x14 and 5.5x14. also insane on 6.6, 7, and even 8 x14
a very fun size is the 7x13. and 6x12. for a snare set up im workin on purchasing all of the drums coordinated to be 8x14 main. and7x13, and 6x12 sides. then eventualy purchasing a p icolo 3.5x14 for fun. i like snares cant ya tell
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
ButterscotchBandit420
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:07 am

I`ve been using The Pearl FF brass piccolo for over 10 years and have yet to hear a better one. Although i haven`t played pearl drums for a couple of years now, switched to PDP`s, I`ll have that snare forever.
PDP Drums Sabian Cymbals DW5000 Pedals Gibraltar Rack & Hardware
Sinky
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:57 am

When I use one, I have Yamaha's brass model.

Not the David Garibaldi sig. series, but pretty much the same drum. Adjustments on both sides of the strainer, etc....

Oh god yes! I've played oe of those and it's the best piccolo i've ever heard :D
sinkydrums.co.uk - (hobby builder)
ButterscotchBandit420
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:41 pm

I've had a Pearl Piccolo FF for 14 years and it still sounds fantastic.
PDP Drums Sabian Cymbals DW5000 Pedals Gibraltar Rack & Hardware
FrozenTimeGMS
new
new

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:50 pm

i would go with the Pearl Brass piccolo. i've fooled around with one at a guitar center nearby and i had no negativity to it.

the piccolo i actually own is a GMS Bell Brass 3.5x13 and i love it
GMS drums
Zildjian & Paiste cymbals
DW & Tama hardware

express only positive energy....
vgard01
new
new

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:26 pm

Pearl Maple Freefloater 14x3.5

Best snare I've ever used. I use it with my Reference Custom. It's perfect. Especially if you come from the rudimental side and you need a more articulate drum. The Evans Hi def with the dry vents sounds fantastic on it.
bassdrummers.com
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:21 pm

Mapex Black Panther 14x3.5 phosphor bronze (preferably hand hammered)

I got the non-hammered version for $100 used. You will LOVE this snare! Every drummer I've ever played in front of has loved it and I always get great compliments from non-drummers as well. Most piccalos can get drowned out, but not this one. It's got some serious cajones man.

If you're set one brass, I'm sure that one will sound great too.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
greeneyedgrooveman
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:41 am

Here is a question....

Do we consider a piccolo snare to be determined by diameter or shell depth? TRADITIONALLY, a piccolo snare is any snare that has a head size of 13" no matter what the depth. Then from what I understand a 12" is a Soprano and a 10" would be a Sopranino. I think that is the way some companies list them in their catalogs(Yamaha being one of those....).

So in regards to your question I owned a Free Floating Brass drum which was 3x14 that I loved but is not a TRADITIONAL piccolo due to the head size. I also owned a 3x13 1958 WFL maple. Currently I have a Joey Jordison 6x13 steel shell and a 1980's Ludwig maple Power Piccolo 6x13. I am looking for a cool shallower shell snare and I have heard that the Garibaldi sounds amazing. Does anyone remember the Noble & Cooley 3x13? VERY cool drum. Also, Yamaha made a 3x14 brass snare in the 80's that Weckl used often. Don't think they are produced the same way currently.

PERSONALLY, I think that a piccolo is any 13" snare. Shallow or tall. I think that if you are looking for a SHALLOW depth snare the best thing to do is experiment. Sometimes those little drums choke at high impact. I never experienced choking on the Pearl FF. But again, every player is different.

I am curious to know what you end up getting.
Peace and great grooves to all,
George

www.myspace.com/georgedrums
nathanplaydrum
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:36 pm

Ive got all of the pearl pics, the brass is ok, but the maple takes the cake
Dw drums
Zildjian K/A Custom Cymbals
Vic Firth sticks/brushs
Porkpie Throne
Pearl Snares
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:23 am

I remember when the trend was to get a piccolo snare, back in about 1987. Wow, 20 years ago!! And I am glad that that time has passed.

I happily use a 6.5x13 snare drum. Just one drum, covers all bases. :)

~B
steveund
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:42 am

The Black Panther's by Mapex are awesome snares, I'm a Rogers, Yamaha, DW fan, but Mapex really impressed me with those line of snares.

I'm looking for a Rogers Satellite, those are rare to find.
-Steven
Rogers fan since birth
Rogers drummer since 1986
Rogers owner since 2004
Bryan Deruchie
new
new

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:29 pm

I've had my Pearl Brass Free Floating since 1995 and have never had the urge to replace it. Every where I play I still get compliments on it's 'crack' and power. I never have to mic it up since it is SO loud and with so much presence it bleeds thru every mic around. (if that's what you want) Acoustically it can be TOO loud.

Another PRo about The Pearl FF family is the shells are interchangeable by simply removing the tensions rods and changing the batter head. I have aquired a 3.5" Maple shell - so when I need to be a bit quieter and a waemer tone (small room ~ studio) I use the Maple Shell. For live and large venues I go Brass. I haven't used a snare mic in over 10 years.

I also use the Piccolo as my main snare, not just an effect snare.

Bryan Deruchie @ http://www.sribbleitdown.com