Double bass pedals or double bass drums?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Jamie
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:43 pm

Personally I cannot stand double bass pedals. I prefer two bass drums over doubles pedals. Its just the feel, and the left pedal is usually slower than the right pedal. It feels like I cant go as fast on double pedals for some reason. It feels sloppy, just the feel of two beaters on one head feels weird. Its as almost like if theres two people jumping right next to each other on a trampoline...you know what Im talking about right? But oh well, I mean this is just my opinion, I just love the feel of two bass drums over double pedals.
\m/ \m/
The19thHole
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:37 pm

Personally i cant stand double bass drum kits because i hate tuning two bass drums. My double bass pedals are pretty crappy as it is, however, i would rather play on them than a double bass kit.
Yamaha Drums
HHX's
Paiste Signatures..mmm
:-)
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:56 pm

It's all personal preference.

Two bass drums are just overkill for what I do, but I do like the feel of two bass drums and the fact that you can tune them a little bit different from each other.

Two Kicks aslo have a few disadvantages.
1. Take up lots of space on stage.
2. Take up more room in car or trailer.
3. Harder to position the hi hats (can be w
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:33 pm

There already is a topic regarding this problem here:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0
It also has a poll, so please post your answers in the poll :)
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
nemesss
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:47 am

TWO KICK DRUMS ALL THE WAY!!!!
Thanks for playing....
mheatwole
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:03 am

Double bass drums is easily the way for me. I LOVE it that way. Yes there are drawbacks but I'll take them.
Trash
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:22 am

If you can't play it with one foot on one bass drum, it just ain't worth playing.
CooknessMunster
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:33 am

I have had both at one time or another. IMO I prefer double pedals. It just comes down when your a giging 3 nights a week you prefer not dragging around a monsterous kit
TheLividCreature
new
new

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:58 pm

I personally, according to the style that I play, prefer a single kick setup. But a long time ago I used to play double kick with a great Gibraltar double kick, and most recently switched to the Tama Iron Cobra.

I have played once or twice on a double kick drum array, I must say that depending on the size of the two kicks, (no more then 21" preferably), the double kick pedal seems to be more natural feeling if you're used to primarily playing in a single kick setup. Double kick drums require a little bit of re-acquainting yourself with a new setup. It also does take up much space, so if you're planning on using that kind of a setup at a smaller venue, you should check the dimensions of your kit before planning on setting it up on any given drum stage.
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:09 pm

i prefer double bass drums because with a pedal u cancel the vibes that the bass provides for u...at least with a double barrel u can learn to tune the bass drums the same and it gives u practice on ur tuning abilities :wink:
lets drum fast and sexy :]
pohbear
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:41 am

OK, in my 30 something of playtime, I have used both, Double Bassdrums and Double Pedals. I myself can go either way. Its a wonder to have two pounding Basses, but unless you have a fulltime DrumTech and a bunch of roadies workin for you at every gig, the Double pedal setup is the best way. I play a wide range of music, styles, and so on, so I prefer the pedals. Of course I use a 20X24 Bass, so I get the Monster sound out of a single drum. :twisted:
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:52 am

I have played and still do play both.
Double kicks is the way to go for me. The drums are centered around the snare and everything feels more even, and you can get the pedals even, unlike with a double pedal.
It doesn't take me more time to set up because I can center everything easier with two kicks. On a single kick I have to constantly adjust everything to get it close to comfortable.
Tuning two kicks the same is a hell of a lot easier than trying to get a double pedal to sound and feel the same, for me at least.
No complaints about carrying stuff from me. I don't have roadies and I usually don't accept any help (people don't know what they're doing) and it's never been a problem for me.
As far as stage space, I set up my single kick set about the same way I do my double kick set, so they take up the same space, one just has gaping holes where drums could go.
So for me, double kicks just fit better.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:16 pm

I've been playing with a double pedal for my entire 12 years playing, but whenever i get the chance, i play with two bass drums, i like the feeling alot more, theres more freedom with it, although i can never get them to sound the same, thats one thing i dont like about it, other than that, if i could afford two bass drums, i would definately rather have that instead.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
G-Rad
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:15 pm

I have a double bass drum kit.

I sometimes, and by sometimes i do mean rarely, ever use one bass drum.. My feet work faster since I use the Heel-Toe technique on a set of DW 5000's.

on my recordings with the band, I used only 1 bass drum.
galgano16
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:24 pm

wht ever works, i am partial 2 the fact tht havin 2 kicks kan cause problems, but 2 kicks does look kool though