Electronic Drums

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

drummmmer13
new
new

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:03 pm

What do you think of eletronic drums??? I personally don't like them, they sound like what they are, an imitation
Silzildrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:23 pm

In my opinion they're perfect for practice. My cousin has a Roland V-Kit for his apartment and says it's great. I wouldn't use one live though. I'd much prefer an acoustic for a show.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:24 pm

Electronic drums these days are very good "imitations" of acoustic kits. I'd love to get a Roland tdk-20 V(I hope I didn't mess the name up) and to sample my acoustic drums to play my sound on an electronic kit.

I also woudn't mind playing a dance/ drum& bass/ chillout gig on an electroic drumset. I guess it would be cool to have an option of changing the floor tom sound with a snare sound or have a completely different sound for a different song. I'd still like to play on acoustic cymbals though.

Like Thomas Lang said on his dvd- It's like a grand piano and a keyboard- we shouldn't judge which is better because they have different sounds and different functions.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:52 am

I'd love to have an E-kit. It makes practice at home so much easier. I can't even play an acoustic snare at home - electic kit would solve my problem. This is the main use of an e-kit for me
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:57 am

I've done many gigs on electronic kits (not by choice). I borrowed my friend's Roland V-drums. They are good for what they do, but you cannot compare them to a regular kit. You can play really, really fast on the bouncy mesh, so I wouldn't reccomend them for practice, unless you need to be quiet. They are just different, because no matter how hard you slam 'em, you are only gonna be as loud as they are turned up. Also, it's really hard to achieve the feel of an acoustic kit. Playin ghost notes doesn't always come out, or they are too loud. Sometimes cymbals don't crash when you hit them lightly. I dunno, I wouldn't mind havin one just to have one, but they are nothing compared to an acoustic kit. Just my .02 cents!
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:32 am

i play a td-20 set for a church youth band and its a cool set but the sound and feel just doesnt compare. id much rather play acoustic any day but i could definately find a use for electrics.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
messeduplefty
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:50 pm

i had a Roland V Custom Stage. And it was a great kit. They are great for small gigs where sound control is a serious issue. They play well, as others have stated, they all most make you sound better! the sounds and the different options you can do to each drums is amazing ! If only it was more affordable, i'd buy one again.

I've also played Yamaha DTX Xpress' and it doesn't compare to the Roland, but I used that to practice with my band. Just be carefull with those hard pads. Blisters can happen quickly with them.

E kits are also great for recording! no need to buy 1000 worth of mics, cables and clips. Many friends that I know who record use Electronic kits (From Speed Metal to Alt. Pop) for max control!

hope this helps!

ps. Wish i didin't sell my Roland!!!
Xfactor
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:52 pm

Well all I use these days are electronic kits. I find them to be far superiour when it come to versatility. Also the fact that the bigger venues require micking wich go through a board and processing makes them electronic drums in a sense. Edrums just makes this whole thing easier. I run to cables (stero). It is almost impossible to tell the differnce from a E-Drum and an acoustic one with the new technology.I use live cymbals with my ekit often with great results. I have played for a number of professional bands and I can switch between differnt sets in a blink of an eye. At times I will use 3 totally seperate drum kits and percussion kits in one song. This would be impossible to do with a acoustic setup. As for the studio, I have done my far share of studio work and sound engineers prefure modern eDrums over mics because the level of control they can achive is superiour. The kit I play now is new to the market and looks identical to a real kit, this in my opinion was the only really problem with edrum kits, they just looked like they where starving to death. anyhow l love my Edrums
Last edited by Xfactor on Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:18 pm

With the danger of being called "arrogant", "ignorant", and similiar adjectives, I will say this;

I'm a DRUMMER, D.R.U.M.M.E.R., not a synthersizerist! 8)

I don't think I'll ever will purchase an electronic kit.
ImageImageImage
Xfactor
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:38 pm

Animal wrote:With the danger of being called "arrogant", "ignorant", and similiar adjectives, I will say this;

To each his own, I will ask you though what makes a drummer a D.R.U.M.M.E.R? The fact that the drum shell vibrates to create the sound or the skill in wich one is able to play? That being said I also love acoustic drums but prefure at this stage in my carreer to play electronic. Cheers.
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:49 am

Xfactor wrote:
Animal wrote:With the danger of being called "arrogant", "ignorant", and similiar adjectives, I will say this;

To each his own, I will ask you though what makes a drummer a D.R.U.M.M.E.R? The fact that the drum shell vibrates to create the sound or the skill in wich one is able to play? That being said I also love acoustic drums but prefure at this stage in my carreer to play electronic. Cheers.

Haha, like I said;

I saw that one comming! :D

Anyway, if the drum-shell isn't regarded as an important part of a drummer, then we could all play on logs, cans and whatever is possible to hit! (Whitch is fine too!)

No offence to those who chose to play electronic kits, it's just not my cup of tea. Never was, never will be.

"Do what thou whilt shal be the whole of the law", I say! :wink:
ImageImageImage
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:59 am

Well, then guitarists should only play acoustic guitars :)
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:19 am

Oh, man;

This isn't a debate of "right" and "wrong", I simply stated my opinion on the subject! Feel free to play on whatever you like.

I just don't like the electronic kits, thats all. OK? :wink:
ImageImageImage
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:05 am

Every kit, be it electronic or acoustic has its pros and cons. I wouldn't like to play a rock gig on an e-kit, but some modern chillouts/funk? Who knows :)
m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:13 am

I've been gigging with E's for over 3 years now. At first it was a totally electronic setup, including cymbals. I don't care for the Roland module's cymbal tones so I used an EMU sampler to trigger acoustic cymbal samples.

This E setup was great for smaller venues. We could achieve a very low stage volume, and all the nuances of the drums could still be heard thru the PA. Granted, it takes a HEALTHY PA to handle Edrums, but it worked well for us. The TD20 module has some really nice drum sounds, and I'm able to play tuned notes as well (bass guitar, synth patches) Plus, for some of the covers we used to play (Rush, King Crimson, Yes, Bjork, Portishead) it helped to have a different kit for each one- there was no way I could haul that much percussion!

As we moved up to bigger venues I adjusted to a hybrid kit; acoustic cymbals, bass, and snare w/ Etoms and aux pads. I trigger the bass and snare, so I still have access to electronic tones for the percussion/ethnic sounds we need, and could configure patches for several virtual kits. I like the feel of the A's, but still have access to a wide variety of tones, and only require 2 or 3 mics.

E's are a tool, like any instrument.
You can have a crappy A kit, or a top-of-the-line E kit and what matters is what you do with it.

That said; I'm really looking forward to going 'all-acoustic' on our next tour, but I wouldn't dismiss what you can accomplish w/ E's.
It takes a little doing- I wouldn't recommend sticking with the factory presets (I tweak the HECK of out every piece of gear I use) but you really can work with E's in a gigging situation, I've found.

I know it's a touchy subject; there are 'purists' who reject E'drums completely and there are converts who've switched to E's and won't go back. Personally I like to mix a little from both worlds, and I appreciate it when other drummers make allowances for how I choose to persue my instrument. No one except other drummers ever even notice if I'm using any electronics at a show-
and if it works for the music/band, then that's what matters, yah?