What do you do for a living?

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:10 pm

I am a certified welder/pipe-fitter, an on the side-mechanic, and co-owner of NEW CONCEPT PERCUSSION. I'm also married with two kids, a boy-4 yrs. and a girl-2 yrs. So I guess I'm busy as hell!

Oh, my son Stephen received his first drum-kit when he was 2, so watch out for him!!!!!
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:34 am

I work at Research In Motion (RIM) in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Ever hear of the Blackberry? lol! Well, I work as one of the trainers in the Global Repair Services Dept. training people on fixing warranty fails that come back from the customers out in the field.

I also record demos for Indie bands on the side.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:25 pm

lol, I still live with my parents.
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:00 pm

Babaganoosh wrote:I am disabled. I gave up playing back in the early 80s to persue other venues. I was in an accident, that kind of messed me up, in the mid 90s. Being disabled, I started to gain wieght. So when my doctor said I must excersize, I started playing again. I can do almost anything, as long as I am sitting down. It all sucks but I am actually better now than I was then due to now I pay attention to the fundamentals and what I am doing instead of anticipating the party afterward.

Rock on dude, I admire the attitude.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

SuNoAnBuKi
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:22 pm

Currently collecting S.S.I. (social security income) due to a terminal illness and cant really work since I'm in and out of the hospital 3-5 times a year and the stays last anywhere from 1-4 weeks. It's whatever though, I'd like to work - but any job I've ever had has always fired me for having to miss so much work. I catch odd jobs here and there .. landscaping, tile, carpentry related shit, moving things ... whatever brings in more money. Other than that, I'm a full time musician.
Ddrum Dominion
Saluda, Zildjian, Paiste, Wuhan
Pearl Hardware, DW Pedals
Remo Heads
drummer912
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:26 pm

going to school. 180 days a year baby!
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:02 am

screamkevin wrote:I'm unemployed at the moment, and looking for a career change after losing my job of 10 years in broadcasting.

So I guess I'm a drummer for now, LOL! :lol:

What was your job in broadcasting?

I'm a radio presenter... but hope to study drums full time at DrumTech very soon...
Naomi McFadyen
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:52 am

I'm partner to my own music publishing business, Devilish Publishing, as well as teaching the odd drum lesson, being a full time mum and am the desperate housewife! :shock:
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:36 am

I'm a professional drummer and have been my entire adult life. I mean, those years where one would expect someone to actually "become an adult", I was slagging off, playing drums.

My "name gig" was with Ike Turner for nearly 6 years. During that time I became more of a musician and less of a drummer, but a drummer nonetheless. I won a Grammy award for my work on Ike's recent album "rising with the blues". Prior to that, I was working with "the best bands you'd never heard of"....shame, but it's true! In my days I've recorded on well over 60 full-length CDs and probably a thousand demos. I've been in well over 200 bands, worked with thousands of musicians in probably any scenario or genre you can imagine. Yes, I've been that much of a whore at times. :)

After climbing to the top of the proverbial mountain as a sideman with Ike Turner, I got to catch a glimpse at what I had done. Because of what I've seen, I have taken time off the road for a bit and playing more local gigs because I have a 7 year old and I want to be there to help raise him.

I'm involved with building websites as a "legit" job and am entertaining the idea of teaching drum lessons again. About 85% of my income comes from playing drums, the other 15% comes from my stint in Tijuana as the donkey in the aptly-named show ;)
Devindrummer12
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:55 pm

Well im only a junior in high school but i have about 15 drum students, that gets me by for money!
Howepirate

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:21 pm

Street corner.

12$ for z-job
drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:51 am

I'm currently a board op/dj/producer for a Clear Channel Communications Radio cluster here in Macon, GA. We have 5 FM stations and 2 AM. And I've just given up all of my saturdays in August to dj a show for these people who basically brokered a deal for an hour block of air. It's on a spanish radio station, so I have no clue what the on-air talent is saying, I just hit the buttons for them...and get paid for it too!

Just received my degree in music performance and will be going back to get another in Communications.

I'm currently working with two groups as a drummer. The first is an ecclectic mix of country/folk/bluegrass/rockabilly. The second is called the Arts Exchange. It's a group of musicians that just gather to play shows. Mostly we play r &b/reggae/funk. It's cool. I play about three gigs a month. Not a whole lot of money, but definately welcome!

I'm part of the brotherhood of like-minded individuals who like to bang on things.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:05 am

Devindrummer12 wrote:Well im only a junior in high school but i have about 15 drum students, that gets me by for money!

You my friend have passed the first test of professional musicianship- You are self-employed using your talent.

WTG
trstn
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:36 am

I'm doing technical marketing for Thermo Fisher Scientific worlds finest advanced mass spectrometers. Websites, campaigns, certain intranet developments and much more. Perl is my love, music my passion. :D

In a former life I've missed to be a full time classical guitarist because of those mistakes you make when you are young and have the money. I have chosen not to be a school teacher for music and English (what I have studied at University), which was a wise thing when I look back.

In the last 20 years I got paid for being taxi driver, old peoples attendant, drum and guitar teacher, live sound engineer, backline tech, security, rigger and barman. In the moment I'm working on my studio skills to earn some additional money.

trstn
Trick drums (and I love them!)
DW hardware/pedals
Istanbul and Paiste cymbals
Remo heads
Vic Firth 2B b(r)oomsticks
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:07 am

I play drums for my main source of income. That means that, for now, I'm broke most of the time. We play 2-3 nights a week usually, but a lot of that goes to pay off the loan for our CD. After we get it paid off in the spring I'll be making decent money. But for now it sucks.

If I had kids I would be screwed. Our guitarist quit recently for just that reason. No more vacation time left at work (he also used his last sick day for a gig) and he can't lose his job, as he has a wife and new baby. Another guitarist stepped in, and thought he had a Mon/Tues/Wed job running sound at the new House of Blues in Dallas, but that fell through. He couldn't find another job with a flexible enough schedule, so he had to quit the band as well (2 kids and some legal bills meant he HAD to have outside employment).

We found another guy and we think he'll be able to stay. I can't quit the band and look for a job at this point (nor have I ever wanted to) since we just signed a distribution deal with Smith Music Group that will get our CD into Best Buy, Hastings, Sam Goody, etc. And we just got a Shiner Bock sponsorship (we thought it was 5 free cases a week, turned out more like 8!) That would be kind of like baking the cake, smelling it as it came out of the oven, and throwing it away without taking so much as a single bite. And what good is waiting tables at Chili's gonna do for my drumming?

At least the original guitarist said (in writing, and without us ever asking him to) that he doesn't want any of the profits as long as he's no longer responsible for any of the debt. Now we'll split everything we get back from this album 3 ways instead of 4. It's damn near paid for, so hopefully I won't be broke too much longer.
yee freakin' haw