Cracked cymbals

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:08 pm

Theres nothing as a drummer more upsetting to me than cracking a cymbal.

I dont mind cracking a B-8 Sabian splash... but cracking a Dark K Custon 18" crash that I've had for six years is the kind of thing that will just drive me insane.

These cymbals become part of your sound... and when they're not there it just changes what you play during situations. Sure you can replace the cymbal with the same model... but no two cymbals sound the same, and everytime I crack one (To the point I cannot play the cymbal any longer) it starts a grueling journey to replace it with a cymbal that will give continuation to the sound I had with the cymbal.
Parrenze
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:13 pm

My A Custom 6" Splash got some small cracks around the bell the other week, was only 8 months old though so I sent it back. Lost the receit though, but my drum shop remember it so was all good:) Still the new one isnt here yet:( cant wait til i hav a new one back:D
Flatliner
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:56 pm

MY first cymbal crack happened yesterday, I died a little inside, but seven or eight years is a pretty good span I guess, well off to the drum shop to pick up a new one.
M.U.S.I.C.- Make up something interesting and complementary- Neil Peart

Without music, Life would be an error- Friedrich Nietzsche
vargasdrumbeast
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:20 pm

Fortunately I have not had the sad experience of breaking or cracking a cymbal

However at school we did and experiment

we but a crappy 10" cymbal in a tub of Groove Juice,
By the end of the week it was pretty much disentigrated :twisted:
CASCINAIDRUMS
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:33 pm

:P I've never broken my cymbals and I've had them for over 20 years
My gong has lasted over 10 years :twisted:
Check this out for the ones that spend more time replacing cymbals
http://zildjian.com/EN-US/zildjianu/howdoicare.ad2
Thanks and rock on !!!!!
andydavis
new
new

Post Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:32 pm

I have cracked way to may Cymbals, it sucks. I have cracked two 19" Zildjian Z Custom Rock Crashes, Wuhan 16 in s series crash, zildjian zbt 18 inch crash/ride, a zlidjian zbt 14 crash, and two sabian aax extream chinas.

Sucks
CASCINAIDRUMS
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:44 pm

andydavis wrote:I have cracked way to may Cymbals, it sucks. I have cracked two 19" Zildjian Z Custom Rock Crashes, Wuhan 16 in s series crash, zildjian zbt 18 inch crash/ride, a zlidjian zbt 14 crash, and two sabian aax extream chinas.

Sucks
I think its maybe time to get heavier Cymbals and don't play with head phones on and if you do crack a Cymbal drill it as soon as possible :twisted:

(Change your playing technique) 8)
infiznitch
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:44 am

Shalaq wrote:How do you feel when you notice a crack in the cymbal? Do you think "Is there something wrong with my technique" or rather "well, cymbals are used so I've just used all their lifespan".
Personally, cracking a cymbal really gets me down about my cymbal playing :(

Often cracked cymbals are a result of poor technique. I too was a hard hitter (and sometimes still am) during my first few years of drumming. Saying that i cracked my cymbals would be an understatement. However, I have found that the Moelller technique is the best way to avoid putting unecessary pressure on my cymbals. With the Moeller technique your stick almost rolls off of the cymbals rather than smashing through them, this relieves pressure on both your cymbals and your hands. Also, you have to realize that your cymbals can only produce a certain amount of sound. Experiment sometime by crashing lightly and playing stronger until the sound seems to have peeked. Now play a bit softer and THAT is the hardest you should EVER play your cymbals. If you play any harder, you will usually only produce bad cymbal sounds as well as cause unecessary damage to your cymbals. TRUST ME your wallet and your cymbals will thank you... who knows you may never break a cymbal again!

Funny Story: In 2002, Slayer held an audition for a new drummer, allegedly to try and get Dave Lombardo to rejoin. Proscriptor McGovern of Absu/Melechesh auditioned and supposedly came in 2nd/3rd. The reason he didn't claim 1st was Kerry King supposedly thought he played "too hard and too fast" after breaking TWO cymbals on the last hit of the crash/burn of his audition.

Moral: Kerry King's ignorance cost him one kickass drummer... also, unless you are already a rockstar... don't be stupid.... DON'T BREAK YOUR CYMBALS!!!!
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:31 am

Well everyone says technique causes cracks.. well sometime if your just a sloppy hitter or basher.

I say it's handling. How many of you when setting your kit up and down, stand your cymbal up on its side before it makes it on to the stand? Well that causes flat spots on the edge of a cymbal which leads to cracking.

And if you never broke a cymbal it's because you don't hit that hard. It's not a bad thing, it's just easier on your pocket.
Dream Big, Live the Life

Kyle