Cracked cymbals

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:19 am

I just cracked my china 14" Thomas Lang signature. Unfortunately, it was a replacement for the one I broke earler :(
I must say the sound from this china is cool but the quality of the cymbal is just awful. But I won't complain, as I got this china free with a set of Langs cymbals :)
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
JozakTalbot
new
new

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:43 am

Timekeep69 wrote:I cracked a few Sabians in my time before I endorsed Saluda. I sold them on ebay. It suprisedme that someone would actually knowingly buy a cracked cymbal, but they did. I think I sold them for like $30-40 each.

they probably sent them right back to Sabian and got new ones!
Keep on Drummin'!!!
pphunk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:06 pm

I used to crack cymbals all the time. Then i started buying thicker cymbals and paying more attention to how i hit them/set them up. It also helps if you take good care of them while transporting them.

I've had two cymbals crack on me so far this year, one was a ride i dropped about a month before (drunk after a show, not good) and it eventually started to crack along the dent. And then a crash that was cracked by another drummer who plays with the butt end of the stick and smashed the shit out of my cymbals. Both were early 70's Zildjian A's. I died a little inside.
stump

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:18 pm

Cracking cymbals can be for alot of reasons. Most are going to be the quality of cymbals that you are playing. If you play low quality cymbals then you can expect that they will probably crack. The truth though is that if you are a hard hitter...you are going to crack cymbals no matter what the quality. I have cracked a few in my many years of drumming. I will say though that as I have gotten older and started playing high quality cymbals.. I have not cracked as many. Also look into using a spring mount, positioning your cymbals correctly, use sleeves and do not over tightening your cymbal nuts. Hint...plastic gives before metal...and it's cheaper to replace.
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:29 am

I have certainly cracked a lot of cymbals, during more than thirty years of drumming. I didn't count but I would guess for something like 25-30 cracked cymbals all together.

It's not like I'm trying to break them, it just happens.

I play very loud, and my crashes and splashes are not angled at all.
That may have some effect, I don't know.

Like everything that is hit hard many times, also a cymbal give in at one time or another, I guess.

I have never cracked a ride, or a hi-hat.
My 22" China boy is still alive and kickin' too, despite some years, standing "a hell of a beating", allthough I hav cracked a few chinas. Especially the 16"s.
ImageImageImage
draconic
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:36 am

hey guys i just LOVE cracked cymbals! stack 'em up and let the fun begin! no china comes close to sounds i make with my cracked babies! if you have some junk you don't need i'll be glad to have it, thank you very much!
life is good
luddy_rocker
new
new

Post Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:04 pm

prog_drummer_77 wrote:When i first started, i bought the Zildjian ZXTs (a joke of a cymbal haha) and i didn't know that you had to turn the china upside down for a longer lasting cymbal and this is what happened....it is a cracked mess and now hanging on my wall! :D

I too bought a ZXT. It was my first crash, an 18" Thin model. I tried to play a bunch of Nirvana, and other altenative/punk music with it because I was really into that. Idiot.
There is a crack almost COMPLETELY THROUGH the cymbal. It hit the bell and when it did it kept spreading quickly. There is about an inch of undamaged bell on that cymbal. And like you, mine is now hanging on the wall behind my kit. :lol:
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:33 pm

i personally have never cracked my cymbals, though i noticed after i brought my cymbals into uni and after letting my mate bash on them i noticed a small crack at the edge i was pissed off but then again it aint a huge problem it hasnt got any bigger and hasnt affected the sound.

so is it true about sending a cracked cymbal off to the cymbal maker and they replace it for free???
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:47 am

I have cracked two cymbals in my three years of playing.

- 18inch Paiste 302 Crash/Ride that I received free with my first kit. It lasted me 2 years ( even with an existing crack which was hardly 1/4 of an inch long )

- bottom hat of a pair of ZBT's which also came with my first kit. The crack started by my friend knocking over my hi-hat stand, and it grew as I played. Eventually durring the recording of a song ( looking back it was a bad song, and was done on a video recorder ), but the crack formed a nice V near the bell of the hat and shot back towards the edge durring the song, ended up flying off, and I still have it somewhere.
Vetis
starclassic_20
new
new

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:35 am

it really gets me down when i crack cymbals too. i don't know how to avoid it. when i am practicing, i play fine, but when i do a live show, i hit way too hard! do you have any tips on maybe cymbal placements or anything?
wolfendenstate
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:08 am

When i first started drumming i was using my dad's genuine 1970's Paiste 2002's, one gig i did every other drummer "forgot" their cymbals, and it was either use mine or the gig was off. After the gig i find the 18" is cracked!!! A week later I made a slight crack in the 16" crash!!!!
The 16" inch survived, 18" didn't. Fortunatly my dad is doing a reunion gig, and found an original replacement, so when that's over I've got:
15" Paiste 2002 hats
16" and 18" Paiste 2002 Crashes
20" Paiste 2002 ride

All original 1970's ones!!!
The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:01 pm

Heres a helpful tip for anyone that cracks the edge of their cymbals.

If you have a crack that comes from the edge of your cymbal and creeps up your cymbal... you can STOP the crack from continuing by simply drilling a hole in the cymbal at the end of the crack.

Its helpful when you have a half inch crack on a 170 dollar cymbal and want to continue to use it without destroying it.

Just drill a hole at the end of the crack that will engulf the crack completely. Of course the smaller the crack the longer this will work for. a two-three inch crack is pretty hard to stop... but something 1/2" to 1" this works well.
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:09 pm

I had two sets of paiste signatures for my kit when I'd break one i'd send it back for a replacement. Since they only did a one time exchange I would take the new cymbal i got and trade it in on another with the one time replacement. But eventually I figured out cheaper cymbals don't break that easy and with technolgy they sound just as good. I suggest if your breaking cymbals try a cheaper line it might work for you. I went from spending 5k a year on cymbals to about $400 a year.
AdamJosephKiesling
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:39 pm

This is a huge topic. I break cymbals quite often, just because I play hard and heavy, mainly for showmanship live. Always make sure to buy new cymbals, that have warranties. Used cymbals save you money in the short run, but are more expensive in the long run if you know you break cymbals. Drilling a hole on the ends of the crack is an attempt to stop the crack, but drilling is going to put more stress on that area, and make more microscoping fractures that will eventually turn into cracks as well. It is helpful to look at the alloy used in whatever cymbals you are using, as some alloys tend to break sooner than others.
c360blaster
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:08 am

i cracked a zbt crash once, before my first show (a couple of weeks before) and so i didn't play it until the show, and while we were playing, the damn thing turned INSide out during like the 2nd song i think.

anyway i was trying to bend it back between songs and this redneck guy ran onstage and tryed to help me... then i jumped on it and it poped back but well, wasn't useable anymore.

it was a veary fun night.