Cracked cymbals

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:23 pm

This is an all cracked cymbals thread ;)
Post about your experiences with cracking cymbals- how many and how to avoid it.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:06 am

In my 'career' I broke one cymbal. Unfortunately it was Ufip crash. It was the beginning of my drumming adventure and I was surely a heavy hitter :oops:
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Mefiu
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:06 am

I never broked the cymbal...... jet :twisted:
be funky !
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:18 am

tim_otnematset
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:11 pm

1 time my 3 day old 18 inch z custom medium crash got smashed by a guitar cab, imagine how happy i got............................. :evil:
metal 4 christ
Carter
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:53 pm

tim_otnematset wrote:1 time my 3 day old 18 inch z custom medium crash got smashed by a guitar cab, imagine how happy i got............................. :evil:

shit, unfortunately, happens :(
Tama drums!
Timekeep69

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:05 pm

I cracked a few Sabians in my time before I endorsed Saluda. I sold them on ebay. It suprisedme that someone would actually knowingly buy a cracked cymbal, but they did. I think I sold them for like $30-40 each.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:12 pm

How do you feel when you notice a crack in the cymbal? Do you think "Is there something wrong with my technique" or rather "well, cymbals are used so I've just used all their lifespan".
Personally, cracking a cymbal really gets me down about my cymbal playing :(
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:39 am

I don't think you're right, Shalaq. Cymbal cracking is not always caused by your technique. The cymbal can also be faulty, used or kept in bad conditions
PureForm
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:30 am

I've probably cracked 10 cymbals since I started playing ... recently, Paiste has been replacing them for me though :D
AMTJake
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:39 pm

I cracked a 12" Wuhan China, so I went to guitar center and bought a new one for 12 bucks. My 12" HHX Evolution splash cracked on me which cracked badly and got me pretty down, it was a really thin cymbal and lasted me a good long time. Recently my 16" AA Crash got cracked when it was in the van on the way to a show, and that pissed me off a bit.
prog_drummer_77
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:50 pm

When i first started, i bought the Zildjian ZXTs (a joke of a cymbal haha) and i didn't know that you had to turn the china upside down for a longer lasting cymbal and this is what happened....it is a cracked mess and now hanging on my wall! :D

Joshua "Cornbread" Hughes
TDRUMP
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:26 pm

I DON'T TRY TO NOT CRACK CYMBALS, IT JUST HAPPENS. I HIT MY CYMBALS HARD, SO I BUY HEAVIER CYMBALS. IF I USED PAPER THINS, I WOULD PROBABLY CRACK EM IN A WEEK, BUT I USE MOSTLY MEDIUM CRASHES, AND I DON'T USE A WINGNUT TO TIGHTEN MY CYMBAL SO IT CAN ACTUALLY MOVE WHEN I HIT IT. I CAN GET 4-5 YEARS OUT OF MY CRASHES. CHINAS ON THE OTHER HAND ARE A DIFFERENT STORY. I USE WUHAN CHINAS (THEY'RE CHEAP, BUT I LOVE THE SOUND OF THEM.) SO I CRACK THEM ALOT FASTER. I DON'T REALLY BREAK CYMBALS PERSAY, I CRACK THEM.
ROCK ON!!!!
SMD Drums Detroit
new
new

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:35 am

You can donate your cracked cymbals to SMD Drums. They are always in need of cymbal alloy. They melt unusable cymbals down to make a certain type of cast alloy shell snare drum. They donate a lot of the proceeds from the sale of this drum to charitable causes and they even give away a lot of stuff to schools and sponsor community outreach activities like children's music and mentoring programs.

Ship to

SMD Drums
5566 Lenox
Detroit, MI
RSmith
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:59 pm

I haven't cracked any of my cymbals while playing but I am a hard hitter to the point that they get a little bend and dented. I did have a K cymbal that rubbed alongside another cymbal and it got chipped that way :-(

But for the most part, I tend to avoid the thin cymbals in favor of a more heavier cymbal (mostly Rock Crashes and the new K 19 inch hybrid crash which sounds like a 16 inch thin crash-go figure)