Drummers That SUCK!!!

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Bummer2112
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:37 am

Ok ok now I can understand why people blame Bob Rock for ruining Metallica and I agree with it to a certain extent. But that's no excuse in writing the music in the first place, he may of produced it but that doesn't mean that James,Kirk,Jason,Rob or Lars didn't have a part in it. Even the 2 new song's they played live are really questionable and Bob Rock isn't responsible since they got rid of him.

But Lars was a pretty good metal drummer back in his prime around the early 90's or late 80's, and I guess around load and reload was where he lost it. Although S&M was an amazing performance on Lars' part but live ever since then has been pretty bad. Even at download 2006 in Donnington he kind of left a couple parts out, weather it be fills or double bass parts.

Maybe he needs to lighten up on how he looks drumming and more on how he sounds.
josh
new
new

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:00 am

posts that are written out of jealousy are a waste of time, drummers such as the rev and travis barker are incredibly talented, and are where they are because of their talents. dont say they such because you are jealous, or their music doesnt suit your personally style and tastes. critisize but don't hate.
tabbott23
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:45 am

josh wrote:posts that are written out of jealousy are a waste of time, drummers such as the rev and travis barker are incredibly talented, and are where they are because of their talents. dont say they such because you are jealous, or their music doesnt suit your personally style and tastes. critisize but don't hate.

spot on... and I don't really like that music, but I couldn't play it as well as these guys do
Tama Starclassic drums
Proudly Endorse - BIGFOOT Beaters
Zildjian K + Avedis Cymbals
DW 5000 Pedals + 9000 Stands
VicFirth Sticks
REMO Heads
polyrythemicgenocide
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:22 am

Iam 100% ignorant of Lars Ulrich. He's an insult to the drumming community, no flare no personality, no imagination, a few of many traits every drummer should re riddled in to stand a chance of success. At best he's a bad impression of animal
ONLY THE PROG SURVIVE
azdrummer
new
new

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:31 am

[quote="znight"]anyone who says Lars sucks knows nothing about rock drumming. that's a narrow minded opinion in my opinion... Lars has brought a hell of a lot to the table and influenced thousands of us drummers over the years. Metallica's sucsess was no accident. his work on And Justice For All alone put him on the map for me. And about the napster thing, Yes Lars is rich and probably doesn't need the money. but, I believe he didn't do that for himself, he spoke for all of us who want to make a living as a musician. most of the money earned as a musician comes from album sales, not concerts. we all have to make a living even if its being a rock star. Tower records is folding because nobody is buying CD's anymore. what do you think is happening to our income as musicians? So, maybe instead of blasting Lars. you should thank him for standing up for us....Z[/quote]

Lars does suck. After Master Of Puppets he became a shitty drummer. He was in the right place at the right time and he certainly had little to do with that bands success. I have met the guy and he is a cocky man. I will give him credit for selling a shitload of albums, but not for being a good drummer.

How about Ringo or Charlie Watts for the matter. Terrible drummers, but they have more money than everyone that has posted on this thread! Does money and selling a lot of records make them good.......answer yes and your an idiot. Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

And my honest answer to the ? is... a shitty drummer is one who does not play to his band....one that has to fill, fill, fill, fill, filloverkill fill......its about the music, not you! Listen to the music your playing and play acordingly.

ps: To the guy that said Tommy Lee sucks......you my friend are a complete idiot. TL is and will forever be an incredible drummer simply for his showmanship. If you cant see that, you are fucking blind!
azdrummer
new
new

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:47 am

[quote="FanaticalDrummer"]Travis barker or tommy lee-they are two of the most overated drummers ive ever heard of-theve never done anything that puts them at the level there at.
For me though,The Rev is good-just cocky and looks way to queer to be in a band like that-there style has dropped to straight edge-thats not good.
I dont like this thread though-so sorry if someone dissagrees with me.[/quote]

LOL.....Well, I will have to disagree with you. Maybe you should check out Barkers solo on youtube before you say he is overated. Just because their music is simple doesnt mean he is a ocrappy drummer. And as for T Lee beinf overated......dude......are you 17 years old? There is no drummer that is more of a showman and fun to watch. Have you seen him, other than in a mtv video? Have you ever heard him play drumline chops? Do some research and WAKE UP!!!!!!!!

Maybe you should put the heads back on the bottom of your toms and I might actually listen to what you have to say.
euan247
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:11 am

THE WORST DRUMMERS ARE INDIE DRUMMERS THEY ARE SHITE!!!! it takes no skill and they think their amazing!! the fuckin dicks!!!!! INDIE MUSIC SHUD JUST DIE NOW!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:
:)
Calbanese
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:00 am

Well I read the very first page of this topic, and I thought that probably the title was worded wrong.. I think a wiser title is "Drummers you dislike" because of their playing, attitude, all that junk, and keep it strictly opinionated, instead of saying "NO UR RONG DIS DRUMMR SUCKZ!!!"

Personally, I can't stand the kind of drummers who just slam away on their double bass constantly and hit every crash cymbal in their reach.. To me, at least, it doesn't seem very musical, but thats just my honest opinion.

And even though I am a HUGE fan of The Who, I think Keith Moon (R.I.P) overdid it sometimes, although he did make up for it with other things...
kit: Pearl Export
cymbs: Zildjian | Sabian
sticks: Vic Firth | Zildjian | Vater
'ware: Pearl
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:14 am

euan247 wrote:THE WORST DRUMMERS ARE INDIE DRUMMERS THEY ARE SHITE!!!! it takes no skill and they think their amazing!! the fuckin dicks!!!!! INDIE MUSIC SHUD JUST DIE NOW!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

What exactly is an "INDIE" drummer? Someone who pays to release his or her own material, such as Anton Figg??

A good friend of mine (incredible percussionist) won a California music award for an 'INDIE' album.

Fully deserved, I might add. When not playing with that band he has been known to work with some of the worlds greatest dummers and percussionists.

euan247, has Airto called you for any gigs lately? :D
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
drummerforlife14
new
new

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:47 am

Hey, i agrre totally with a "good drummer is one that gets up and does what he love." Besides, i doubt you can build your speed up the way Jimmy has. One of the fastest and most unique drummers ive seen ever. :evil:

....But, Carter Beauford is still my god! :D
"One Good thing about music, is when it hits you, you feel no pain...So hit me with music..."
punkminority10
new
new

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:02 am

drummers who show other drummers off are gay.
i guess you can call me a show off, but the only reason why do is because drumming is like myy life, and there are plenty of people who will think i suck. cause i dont have the "wrap the pinkie" posture down yet. i try to help other drummers if they are haveing trouble with something. i dont try to say haha, i can do something that you cant. you know?

p.s. -- im confusing.
drummer101
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:08 am

We cant help not liking other drummers, thats life you dont get on with everyone and theres no point having an opinion if your not gonna share it. We might be a family but familys arent always a bundle of love, I know I cant stand my sister anyway. :)

For me I dont like arrogant drummers like a guy in school with me, Im probably as good as him and I have more skill in other styles (other than metal that is) but hes much more of a show off drummer all he thinks about is technical, fast and loud playing. Then another guy who basically never tried to actually learn much more than metallica stuff plays and arrogant guy stands behind him looks over at me and smirks. All you can think is jeeeez what a dick. and yea drummers who dont play for the song are bad for a band.

For the metallica napster thing, I agree with another person it was Metallica's right to sue napster and so they should because the whole Downloads thing has screwed it up for musicians. Everything will have to be done cheaper now because bands will have lost their album sales money prepare for the apocalypse......

....of DRUM MACHINES, think about it. The rest of the band will look at you and they will think, if we had a drum machine we wouldnt need to pay it. AND YOUR GONE
SeanGordon
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:19 am

Well alot of people have stated good points and bad. It all boils down to opinion. Yes there are people that should probably go sell thier drumkits, lol but the fact that they love drums and try is indearing. I love to teach new drummers things, its the joy of sharing concepts and ideas and build friendship.

As for professionals if you dont like the band, you probably dont like the drummer. Ive heard things from to complicated to not complicated enough from these posts. Me and a Drummer friend of mine (who rescores drum corp arrangements nationwide) Came up with a shakespearian logic... "To play or Not to play" that is the Question". We all come to a place where we question our own ability and whats best to play, that is the drive to learn. When you stop learning you stop being a drummer - or human for that matter.

Now for a few last things. I hear about this lars thing... Hes not a vegetable ya know, not my favorite drummer but i think the first song I played when I was 14 was Enter Sandman... Loved & played drums ever since (Im 30 now). Also a fact, he didnt play on the recording "ONE" he couldnt play it so had another drummer do it. (Because it fit the song and Double Bass was just being tapped into) he sacrificed his being ragged on just to make the song sound right - though with time Im sure he plays it easy now.

The thing about this Portnoy vs Peart thing... You shoulld probably research more and find your own opinion if this even exists. Ive met Mike a few times... everytime he was just as cool as they come (a friend of mine went to school at berkley with him, only my friend finished). Has anyone seen Portnoys solo on "Live at Budokan" on the bonus disc? He goes down to the crowd with a drum and extra sticks and gets the crowd into playing with him... then picks a guy (that he doesnt even know can play or not) way up in the balcony. The guy comes down and gets on portnoys Kit on stage with him,, gets him to play some beats with him. {NOW THATS WHAT BEING A DRUMMER IS ALL ABOUT} Passing it on, sharing with others, and just having FUN!

I didnt once read about this but to help others understand -

Ringo Starr is probably one of the most Simple drummers in the History of music, playing for one of the Most sold, Most creative and Most popular bands in history.

"Does that mean he sucks?"

Im sure today he could blow some guys away but thats not what he was famous for. He was famous for blending with the music and putting the beat where it belongs, for song writting purposes (and not pushing his abilities further than he could play).

Again, "TO play or NOT to play, that is the question?"

Its about WHY we play not about HOW, the HOW should be the fun part...

What I would play, might not be what you would play (Or even like) but that fact that im being honest with myself and and you with yourself, playing what we think is right for the music, makes us good drummers.

-Sean Gordon
Singer for HYNDSYTE, drummer for AMYSTIC & ECHOVIBE

Favorite drummers right now, Marco Minnemann, John Blackwell, Mike Portnoy, Matt Cameron, Omar Akim & Akira Jimbo.

Take care all my drummer compadres... and Pass it on!
Last edited by SeanGordon on Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helix
new
new

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:04 am

ok this is my 1st post but i had to speak up!

yeah i bet all u guys that hate lars cant even play 1 of his old songs from the 80's before enter sandman and their MTV debut!

ok i stopped going in music chats because its all 14 year old kids arguing over who is best and who sucks. maybe we need to seperate into age catagories here?

drummers that suck? wow i cant think of a more mature in depth topic to discuss! does anybody monitor this site?

also anything vs anything will be endless arguing and nothing positive! that combined with the fact that most kids think grunge = metal and you get 1 big confusing headache.

i first saw this page a few months ago and it was good, informative, positive! and educational. now its starting to look like the jerry springer blog!

my opinion? be more specific and post more intelligent topics! ..and create a seperate catagory for the teen angst gen X kids :)
"can play faster" is an excuse people use when they are "not as good"
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:17 am

Helix. Don't worry mate. If you go right through this thread you will see that most people have responded in an educated way and have said that topics like this are of little value. Many of the posters here are experienced players who know better. I've a few thousand gigs under my belt and am not as experienced as some others. If you have a look through the site I am sure you will find more of value than not.

In some ways this thread is positive because it gives the younger, less experienced and more naive guys a chance to read views born of longer experience.

I don't think you need concern yourself with defending Lars. The guy's a multi millionaire and can afford to defend himself if need be. :)

Peace.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones