Most UNDERATED drummer and OVERATED drummer of all time

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:58 am

i think joey jordanson is both one of the most underrated and over rated drummers around. All he is is a good metal drummer. yet there are thousands of kids that swear he is litterally the best drummer in the world. and on the other hand i''v seen countless people rip on him for sucking and being a terrible drummer who cant play anything.
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
peripsy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:38 am

phee wrote:What a great topic!!!

About Portnoy, I like him a lot. Fanaticism is always dumb, in that effect, he is overrated because people are obsessed with him. However, I disagree that he doesn't play with feel or groove or that he doesn't match the style of music. In case you haven't heard Dream Theater, their entire sound is based on overplaying and showing off. They are progressive metal! It is what they do! He fits it perfectly. His groove is stellar especially on the Liquid Tension Experiment records.

Virgil Donati is pretty close. Will there really ever be a need to play a drum roll on the kick drum in music? Overrated!

Terry Bozzio is pretty close too with his one trillion piece kit.

Travis Barker is a close runner up. Okay dude, we know you're fast, can you just play something that matches the song now?

Also in the runnings is Carter Beauford. Okay, it's a ballad, stop playing a freaking drum solo on the high hat! Time! Please!

The winner of most overrated drummer goes to.......

CHAD SMITH!!!!!!!!!!

The chili peppers have the perfect sound for a drummer to shine, yet the only thing you notice about Chad Smith's drumming is his snare is mixed really loud. I'm totally bored with him. But hey, he could be Will Farrel's twin, so I guess he's not that bad.

The most underrated drummer has got to be Max Weinburg. He is an absolute genious and plays so effortlessly. I've never even seen him in a popular drum mag.

dude there are so many overrated drummers in this world and you choose the worst top 5 in my opinion .The reasons are very simple...1)You like what portnoy plays but you don't like bozzio .(Portnoys favorite drummer).I don't think that the GENIUS frank zappa have no other solution from the 17 year old bozzio 40 years ago.Have you EVER listen frank zappa (I DON'T THINK SO). I don't want to talk more about bozzio because probably you have no idea what he is doing.
About virgil donati .If you have the ability post a video of you playing something from his band planet x.Then we will see who is overrated.Finally chad smith .He grooves ,you can understand a hot chilly pepper song from his drumparts, but no ,it's not enough for you.No matter what the other guy play isn't enough for you.
My point is that it's ok if you don't like someone but it's a totally different thing if he is overrated, try to figure out what i want to say dude.I am not an idiot to post this just to feel somebody.I am a person that music is my life .And i feel pissed of when somebody tells these things about legends.Try to do what they do and then we talk again.
peripsy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:54 am

i don't want to talk about overrated drummers because they do their job and they live from this but i will talk about underrated

Shane gaalaas (look band "cosmosquad" and tell me what he is doing in the song "creepy spider part 2")
johnny rabb (one of the most unique styles ever,don't compare him with mayer they are totally different)
Klaus Engl ("7 for 4" band, just listen this mess)
Jason rulo(Symphony x)
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:52 am

Overrated drummers for me are Mike Portnoy, Thomas Lang & Marco Minneman. All flash and ZERO groove.
Underrated: Phil Collins, Max Weinberg & Chris Layton (of SRV & DT)
Layton is my favorite drummer, his shuffles have great feel and I love his sound.

To the Ringo haters out there: Ringo was not a technician, he did what every great drummer should do, play for the music. Ringo was not a drummer, he's a musician. More importantly, what he did for the art of drumming will NEVER be matched. He inspired a GENERATION of drummers to pick up the sticks, NO drummer will EVER come close to that. That is Ringo's greatest contribution to music, not for the notes he played, but for the thousands of drummers playing today that he inspired to pick up drumsticks.
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:46 am

I play hard and fast on stage with my band. But i go home and I play jazz. Who's to say Joey, Lars, Chad etc etc don't do exactly the same thing when they're behind closed doors. Neil Peart has made no secret of the fact he's been off and had jazz lessons. Fair play to him!

For that reason I think it's hard to call on over-rated. If I was given the chance to earn Chads money, to play to millions of people all over the world and live the life of luxury I'd jump at it. I'm pretty sure most of us would do it for a while at least. Doesn't mean he can't go home and play to some Sepultura or Miles Davis.

As for under-rated, I see drummers all the time who are under-rated. They are everywhere from jazz clubs to Metal hangouts.
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:16 pm

Easy answer, ME on both counts. Underrated by myself, overrated by my peers.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT