Most UNDERATED drummer and OVERATED drummer of all time

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

drummer619
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 am

mikeellis wrote:Rarely can drummers be personally blamed for any 'over-rating' that follows them around, there are a few! Those named so far I don't think can be held responsible for the high regard in which they are held - it's just the millions who think they are great!

Maybe there's something in that..............?

yeah man, well put :)
Tama 4 Life
brandon8robinson
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:11 pm

Most Over rated- Mike Portnoy ( I'm not even sorry for saying this, he's like Derek Roddy and Chris Adler, but not as good.)

Most Under rated- John Dolyman (System of a down) I think he's one of the best drummers, voted 98th best drummer but I say he's like in the 20s

Also over rated

Lars Ulrich
Tommy Lee

Also Under rated
Ginger Baker
The guy from Sabbath ( I think it's like something Ford)
I got it from uh, the get wet shop!
XIxPxGX
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:09 pm

i think tommy lee is over rated never found anything impressive about him same with lars ulrich and joey jordinson
Drum kit-pearl export select
Cymbals-sabian HH and aax
Pedal-single dw 5000
Heads
snare-evans genera hd dry
Toms-evans ec2 clear
Bass drum-Aquarian super kick 1 with evans pillow inside
Sticks-Vic Firth 5a
heckelmenot
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:31 am

Underrated: Nicko McBrain and Jose Pasillas
Overrated: Ringo Starr and Tommy Lee
meinlplayer
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:35 pm

ratfinkdrummer wrote:Overrated? Easy...Neil Peart, who can play well, but has NO taste, ALWAYS overplays, unremakable sound, completely inappropriate, yet has millions of fans, MOST of whom don't understand the finer points of drumming.

I completely agree with you.
Peart was actually my first thought when I read this topic. It's not that he's a bad drummer, he's good... but IMO he is indeed overrated.

as for Ginger Baker, I don't think he's overrated, he's definately a burnout, but I like his playing.

so, now that I've presented two oppinions that most of you probably disagree with, now I'll agree with one that many of you have already said... Max Weinberg is THE MAN!
Mapex M Birch drums

Meinl Amun cymbals

Evans G2/G1 coated heads
skdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:53 am

i think deen castrovano from journey is underrated because he is really good because it is hard to play and sing in many songs, cus he sings for several songs in concert

although i like neil peart i agree that he is overrated
ImageImage
chino_is_god
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:02 pm

i think public ratings are all relative, the thicker the general public gets, the less likely they are to rate people on talent rather than what kind of jeans they wear.

i'm not so sure joey jordison IS overrated, he has technique man. can't argue with that. and it's not like he can sit back and tap a groove out on the ride, this is metal we're talking about. ringo on the other hand - sheesh, don't get me started.

i think the most underrated drummer of the moment is seb rochford, of polar bear. he just sits in the background and COOKS.

word
Drumtrilescent
beginner
beginner

Post Sun May 27, 2007 6:36 pm

Animal wrote:OK, let's play in some UNDERrated drummers too:

Numero Uno:

Phil Collins!
Probably the most underrated drummer of them all (because half the populastion seems to beleve that the only thing he can do, is to sing crappy ballads and Motown-inspired 60's pop, while humpin' away on the piano)

AGREED! I saw a concert for the Queen of England on TV a few years ago, which featured (and credited) several English rock/pop musicians of note, including Eric Clapton, members of Queen, and more, but the Drummer, Phil Collins WASN'T EVEN CREDITED! What a shame. He's so tasteful, and he's influenced so many drummers/other musicians.
craigyp
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon May 28, 2007 12:03 am

brandon8robinson wrote:Most Under rated- John Dolyman (System of a down) I think he's one of the best drummers, voted 98th best drummer but I say he's like in the 20s

Also Under rated
Ginger Baker

Totally agree! I think John's an excellent drummer but you never really hear bout him - he's got some real tight rhythms which he executes well! :-)

Ginger Baker? Nah, don't really like the guy... (music-wise that is, I'm sure he's a really nice person) :P

I was watching top 10 rock drummers on kerrang once... rob bourdon (Linkin Park) ended up on top, AHEAD of travis barker - tht don't make sense to me even tho i know a lot of u guys don't like travis. :?
Daza73
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 30, 2007 3:03 am

Drum-Elk wrote:hmmm.... agree with joey jordison, but I have a good word for him. he didn't start the hype... Another drummer who I think is overrated is Ginger Baker (Cream). Sorry, i don't want to upset anyone but he's probably the worst drummer who was playing in a famous band ever! It's always sounding a little bit bumpy. :lol:

most overated joey jordison for sure i cant stand slipknot but i love hardcore yeeew
drummer912
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed May 30, 2007 12:16 pm

Joey and Travis are pretty overrated, but there good at wht they do.

Tommy Clufetos from Rob Zombie is pretty underrated, i mean hes doent do alotta fast stuff put he's still good.
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:11 pm

sirdrumalot wrote:too the kid who said chris adler is underated. no he sucks im sorry. he even says hes not a drummer hes an aspiring guitar player. people in the metal core like him arnt good. jason bitner is also and awful drummer. just cause you go to berkly for drums doesnt make you good. and he isnt.

im not gonna say hes under or overrated but thomas lang is a god. he is a machine but i dont care hes insane. anyone who can do what he does is just crazy

one more most overrated drummer is zoro. good style but hes not all what everyone hypes him up to be.

Why Jason Bittner?

I admit his fills aren't all that great or imaginative, but he has probably the tightest double bass I have ever heard.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
Martybabes
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:20 am

most under rated drummer EVER... Matt Mcdoungh from mudvayne.

just doesn't get the credit he deserves for the stuff he does

his use of odd time signatures is amazing <3

mudvayne - choices that's some weird timing for ya

overrated drummer, i'm gona say joey jordison, i love slipknot, but it annoys me when all these little kids go on bout him being best in the world, i've watched interviews with him and he even admits that he doesn't even think he's a amazing drummer, he seems a really coool guy. but i do respect him loads for the amount of input he puts into writing songs etc, does lyrics guitar parts, alsorts.
Get busy living, or get busy dying
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:50 pm

Martybabes wrote:most under rated drummer EVER... Matt Mcdoungh from mudvayne.

overrated drummer, i'm gona say joey jordison, i love slipknot, but it annoys me when all these little kids go on bout him being best in the world, i've watched interviews with him and he even admits that he doesn't even think he's a amazing drummer, he seems a really coool guy. but i do respect him loads for the amount of input he puts into writing songs etc, does lyrics guitar parts, alsorts.

His patterns change so much with each song, I really love the intro he he did with Fall Into Sleep.

Once you see him play you'll ask yourself this "Does he think he has enough crash cymbols?"
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
Martybabes
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:49 am

TheYardstick wrote:
Martybabes wrote:most under rated drummer EVER... Matt Mcdoungh from mudvayne.

His patterns change so much with each song, I really love the intro he he did with Fall Into Sleep.

Once you see him play you'll ask yourself this "Does he think he has enough crash cymbols?"

ahaha yea, his playing is so interesting and different from a lot of drummers today
Get busy living, or get busy dying