beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:16 pm

haha
batdrummer
new
new

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:54 pm

Qbs wrote:IMHO one of the most underated contemporary drummers is Zach Hill - he's been mentioned before here on this message board :)
also I would mention Leo (don't know the last name) from the band Miocene - he plays some amazing stuff :)

Yes!! Zach Hill is way under rated but probably because not many people listen to Hella or Crime in Choir and other weird shit he's done.
The thing that gets me about this guy is I met him when we played at the souls 2004 gig with system. Zach had a 20 minute solo to open the show which was amazing. I talked to him afterwards and found out that at the time he's only been playing about 9 years. I have been playing over 20 at the time and don't think I can even suck as good as him on a shitty day.
Jose
Chazdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:23 pm

All the drummers that play in stuff like the Buddy Rich Mem. Concert are under rated! Who knows who Denis Chambers is besides drummers and the odd musician? No one! I talk about him like hes a god and no one besids a few of my music friends know who he is. Same with Terry Bozzio and Steve Gadd. All thoes guys are way under rated. They should be getting all the attention that Travis 'lame' Barker gets!

As far as under rated drummers go, I dont agree with Lars and JJ being over rated at all. They both invented the grooves to some kick ass songs! Thats partly why thier bands are so recognized. Wait and Bleed, kicks ass! One = Kick ass!
"Almost everything I've done, I've done through my own creativity. I don't think I ever had to listen to anyone else to learn how to play drums. I wish I could say that for about ten thousand other drummers."

-----Buddy Rich
ludwigdrummer29
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:07 pm

ratfinkdrummer wrote:Overrated? Easy...Neil Peart, who can play well, but has NO taste,
ludwig drums get better with age.
my music myspace
Flatliner
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:58 pm

ratfinkdrummer wrote:Overrated? Easy...Neil Peart

that hilarious because I've always thought poeple payed too much attention to his technical side when I've always thought I've never heard a more musical drummer.
M.U.S.I.C.- Make up something interesting and complementary- Neil Peart

Without music, Life would be an error- Friedrich Nietzsche
Metropolis1021
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:49 am

joey jordison is definatelly overated the most. i hear people say that he is the best drummer and its just annoying to see how little people know before they say something like that. and in that solo where he plays in the spinning drum riser, he not only copied tommy lee, but tommy lee copied buddy rich(who is in ansolutely no way overrated) hasn't anyone ever seen the flying drumset solo. buddy also does the mike portnoy thing where he bangs his head while playing. he is truly great.
Tama Starclassic Performer
Sabian Cymbals
Axis AL-2CB
Remo Drumheads
Pro-Mark Sticks
Gibraltar Drum Rack
Dee
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:52 pm

I think i am gonna sit this one out!
XIxPxGX
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:27 pm

phil collins is underrater people make jokes about him and stuff but hes a good drummer and if you dont see that then you dont know what talent is.
joey jordison, neil pert, ringo star, lars ulrich, and danny carrey are over rater and many more. tool as a band doesnt impress me, niether does slipknot.
Drum kit-pearl export select
Cymbals-sabian HH and aax
Pedal-single dw 5000
Heads
snare-evans genera hd dry
Toms-evans ec2 clear
Bass drum-Aquarian super kick 1 with evans pillow inside
Sticks-Vic Firth 5a
madchops
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:06 am

I think an underrated drummer would have to be....alot of cats from the jazz era....

Alvin Stoller, Sam Woodyard, Louis Hayes...

new drummers....peart, portony, even travis barker....sure they are very good but they ARE overrated.

Pretty much all the alternative/emo drummers are probably overrated....
I think that any young drummer starting out today should get himself a great teacher and learn all there is to know about the instrument that he wants to play.

Buddy Rich
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:23 pm

I think Teri Bozzio is underrated, most people looking at drummers only care for speed, but this guy proves that even drums can be melodic, and most people just can't get past his slow solos to see that.

I think Dave Grohl is underrated too, he is probably one of the most talented drummers out there, you rarely come across a drummer that can record his/her own album doing EVERY instrument.

Chad Smith is underrated too, even though his patterns are pretty simple, he can lay it down pretty well and has a good feel for the music too.

I really think Travis Barker is terribly overrated, he's a good drummer but has way too much hype.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
Jee
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:42 pm

Coady Willis of Big Business is so good. I'm not takin bad about anyone. But This guy makes me feel like a slacker! Coady Willis currently playing with Big Buisness & 2nd drummer next to Dale Crower in Melvins. Check here - http://www.myspace.com/bigbigbusiness
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:41 pm

Morgan Rose is also a underrated drujmmer IMO.

He is the drummer for Sevendust, I feel that he has a great feel for the music that they play. Some of my favorite performances by him are in their live acoustic album Southside Double-Wide.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
justin headley
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:43 am

OVERATED - Neil Peart
UNDERATED - Matt Abts (Gov't Mule)
Pearl Drums(Endorsed)
Remo Heads
Vic-Firth Drumsticks
Zildjian Cymbals

www.myspace.com/justinhdrums

www.Davidshelbymusic.com
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:59 pm

Neil Peart

Just as a friendly question: how so?

My Last.fm
ClintKelly
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:56 pm

ovverated=lars ulrich..i think most people agree. underrated=scott ellis of warface