Most UNDERATED drummer and OVERATED drummer of all time

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

dangitbobby14
new
new

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:22 pm

id would say the most over rated would be tommy lee, Joey Jordison, travis barker....but thats my opinion
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:16 am

wow travis barker? not only is he diverse...heh but he can play marching percussion (both traditional and matched grip) on the marching snare n man...can that guy rip it on marching percussion...he can also do other percussive things including latin percussion and things u guys fail to see is that all the stuff he can do DONT fit his style of music (punk) i bet if u put him in a funk band or watever he could do it....plus yea hes fast so wat? deal with it sum are fast n technical others r kiss and tasty just depends how u view it...just the beats in itself r diverse n off beat at times...good drumming....

overrated??? any drummer that is in the category: hardcore, metalcore, grindcore, thrash....just cuz they r fast wooo can u play jazz? heh
lets drum fast and sexy :]
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:11 pm

The most underated are the greats who the kids don't listen to. The most overated are the current flavour of the months that get all the attention.

I've noticed the MD keeps putting the same guys on their covers every couple of years. I think this is a pity because the kids don't get a chance to learn about many players.

I mean no offence to guys such as Travis Barker, but when you see a name like that, you know the guys voting don't know many of the truly great drummers. Many of whom have 1000 albums to their credit.

I was the same when I was a kid. In my early teens I thought Carl Palmer was the greatest. But then as I studied and listened I became more aware of just how many great guys there have been. Guys like George Wettling, Chick Webb, Cozy Cole, Ndugu Chancellor, Rasheed Ali, Joey Baron, Kenny Wollesen etc never get a mention. It's always some flavour of the month or Neal Peart. There are other people who don't get to be on MTV. I even read a kid on MySpace who said Danny Carey had made great advances over Buddy! One of the most ignorant staements ever on a drum forum.

Hopefully they'll get there one day.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:28 pm

Dale wrote:The most underated are the greats who the kids don't listen to. The most overated are the current flavour of the months that get all the attention.

I've noticed the MD keeps putting the same guys on their covers every couple of years. I think this is a pity because the kids don't get a chance to learn about many players.

I mean no offence to guys such as Travis Barker, but when you see a name like that, you know the guys voting don't know many of the truly great drummers. Many of whom have 1000 albums to their credit.

I was the same when I was a kid. In my early teens I thought Carl Palmer was the greatest. But then as I studied and listened I became more aware of just how many great guys there have been. Guys like George Wettling, Chick Webb, Cozy Cole, Ndugu Chancellor, Rasheed Ali, Joey Baron, Kenny Wollesen etc never get a mention. It's always some flavour of the month or Neal Peart. There are other people who don't get to be on MTV. I even read a kid on MySpace who said Danny Carey had made great advances over Buddy! One of the most ignorant staements ever on a drum forum.

Hopefully they'll get there one day.

I've seen a lot of that too. And I used to think Peart was the be all and end all. How little did I know.

I'm a huge fan of both Danny Carey and Buddy Rich. Carey is truly amazing, but to say he has surpassed Buddy Rich is just laughable.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
dangitbobby14
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:43 pm

travis is good at what he does, but all my friends tell me, man travis barker is the greatest drummer woo...yadda yadda, and ive had someone get ticked at me for sayin he wasnt a drumming god. i respect his abilities, as any other drummer, they all have there own respective qualities, and talents, i just dont like him all that much
mattkinel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:01 am

I cant get into the overrated, tensions seem to be high.

I can agree Phil Collins in underrated, listen to his Genesis stuff, WOW!

I would also agree Max Weinberg is underrated, but he did have a shining point with the 1988 Drummer of the Year award, my 6th grade english teacher, personal friend and good drummer was friends with him and WENT TO MAX'S HOUSE!!! Goddamn im jelous.

Underrated, well a lot of great older jazz drummers have been forgotten in contemporary drumming. Also a lot of drummers in bands with overshining lead guitar players are loosing fame. Like Micheal Shrive with Santana, wow can he play anything, latin based to jazz to straight up classic rock.

My personal pic for underrated drummer, John Densmore from the Doors, he put a jazz feel to pop/rock. He kept it jazzy but with a straight time feel and was able to play behind a legendary singer. I think a good drummer behind a singer with a reputation deserved a bow.

And in contemporary drumming, the awards go to a lot of the hiphop and pop drummers. You know, those overplayed songs on the radio that you cant bother to listen to? Well my sister listens to top 40 and when im forced to hear it, a lot of those drummers have flawless dynamics and can add in some complex stuff without killing the songs simplicity.

To all great drummers taking a seat on the back burner behind egotistical singers and arrogant guitar players, I salute you!
-Matt Kinel

Vintage Ludwig Stainless Steel Bonham Set
Paiste Giant Beats and 2002 Cymbals
Vintage Ludwig Hercules and Atlas Hardware
Speed King Pedal, Supraphonic Snare
Remo Heads, Coated
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:17 am

Somehow posted twice. Sorry.
Last edited by Dale on Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Papa Jo Jones
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:24 am

Dale wrote:
dangitbobby14 wrote:travis is good at what he does, but all my friends tell me, man travis barker is the greatest drummer woo...yadda yadda, and ive had someone get ticked at me for sayin he wasnt a drumming god. i respect his abilities, as any other drummer, they all have there own respective qualities, and talents, i just dont like him all that much

Oh yes, I fully agree. I am in no way trying to criticise anyone. Kudos to Mr Barker and good luck to him. He should be proud of his achievements. And rightly so.

However, the fact that his name is one of the most common seen on drumming forums shows that he is not under or overated. He gets loads of attention.

I don't blame the younger guys who are unaware of a wider community of players who are making great strides on the instrument. Much of it has to do with the media and the marketing machines that power it. If a kid only hears what is offered on MTV and is somehow kept within that relatively small medium known as popular music, how is he or she to learn about Paul Motion? When MTV has the drummer from a rock band such as System of a down on the cover every 2 years or so, it doesn't leave the kids much chance, nor does it help the wider community of drummers who need the exposure. And believe me, many drummers need that exposure. Many deserve it. You, reading this now might need it.

If you have a good look at drumming forums like this, there's about 20 names that get mentioned all the time. That's a very small number when one considers that there is about 6 million drumset players on the planet. Something is clearly askew when a guy like Jack DeJohnette is rarely mentioned. This is a guy who's been making unbelievable strides on the instrument for 40 years. He's quite possibly the most advanced drumkit player today.

I honestly think that the media could help more. Modern Drummer magazine has always been a good read, but since Ron's death it has become more focused on the commercial side of things and devotes more cover space to MTV. I suppose this is only natural. But it is a shame when I read 2 interviews featuring cover artists in the space of 2 years, and they have nothing new to say except how it was recording their latest record.

It is probably the older guys like me who need to help out by talking about people who never get mentioned at all. We probably all have a responsibilty to exposing our drumming brethren to a wider world. But it takes two to do this. Both the poster and the reader. This is also hard at times because there is a generation gap. I've posted from a deep love and respect for the instrument and my post has been interpreted as being a diatribe. This is way off the mark, and it puts me off. I think it's a combination of my lack of smarts as a writer, and god knows what else going on in the reader's mind that leads to such an interpretation.

There will always be those kids who take up drumming for a couple of years and give up. An those who take it more seriously and seek to have a career. The former will probably only concentrate on the latest MTV stars while the latter will learn about Jack DeJohnette. One probably outweighs the other and that is why these polls are so lop sided and small. There is a post in the Off Topic area that kind of shows this very clearly. Some guy asked about Steve Gadd and the last time I looked there's 2 answers. That fact speaks volumes.

And for those, perhaps lacking in self confidence who are self conscious; no, this is not a diatribe.

- Papa Jo Jones
dangitbobby14
new
new

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:38 pm

Dale wrote:
Dale wrote:
dangitbobby14 wrote:travis is good at what he does, but all my friends tell me, man travis barker is the greatest drummer woo...yadda yadda, and ive had someone get ticked at me for sayin he wasnt a drumming god. i respect his abilities, as any other drummer, they all have there own respective qualities, and talents, i just dont like him all that much

Oh yes, I fully agree. I am in no way trying to criticise anyone. Kudos to Mr Barker and good luck to him. He should be proud of his achievements. And rightly so.

However, the fact that his name is one of the most common seen on drumming forums shows that he is not under or overated. He gets loads of attention.

I don't blame the younger guys who are unaware of a wider community of players who are making great strides on the instrument. Much of it has to do with the media and the marketing machines that power it. If a kid only hears what is offered on MTV and is somehow kept within that relatively small medium known as popular music, how is he or she to learn about Paul Motion? When MTV has the drummer from a rock band such as System of a down on the cover every 2 years or so, it doesn't leave the kids much chance, nor does it help the wider community of drummers who need the exposure. And believe me, many drummers need that exposure. Many deserve it. You, reading this now might need it.

If you have a good look at drumming forums like this, there's about 20 names that get mentioned all the time. That's a very small number when one considers that there is about 6 million drumset players on the planet. Something is clearly askew when a guy like Jack DeJohnette is rarely mentioned. This is a guy who's been making unbelievable strides on the instrument for 40 years. He's quite possibly the most advanced drumkit player today.

I honestly think that the media could help more. Modern Drummer magazine has always been a good read, but since Ron's death it has become more focused on the commercial side of things and devotes more cover space to MTV. I suppose this is only natural. But it is a shame when I read 2 interviews featuring cover artists in the space of 2 years, and they have nothing new to say except how it was recording their latest record.

It is probably the older guys like me who need to help out by talking about people who never get mentioned at all. We probably all have a responsibilty to exposing our drumming brethren to a wider world. But it takes two to do this. Both the poster and the reader. This is also hard at times because there is a generation gap. I've posted from a deep love and respect for the instrument and my post has been interpreted as being a diatribe. This is way off the mark, and it puts me off. I think it's a combination of my lack of smarts as a writer, and god knows what else going on in the reader's mind that leads to such an interpretation.

There will always be those kids who take up drumming for a couple of years and give up. An those who take it more seriously and seek to have a career. The former will probably only concentrate on the latest MTV stars while the latter will learn about Jack DeJohnette. One probably outweighs the other and that is why these polls are so lop sided and small. There is a post in the Off Topic area that kind of shows this very clearly. Some guy asked about Steve Gadd and the last time I looked there's 2 answers. That fact speaks volumes.

And for those, perhaps lacking in self confidence who are self conscious; no, this is not a diatribe.

man thats so true, pop culture media plays a huge role in the "top drummers" or the "master's of the drums" whatever, if you were to take the time and research all the different drummers who have made the drumming world what it is today, you would just have to drop all the bull of mtv and whatnot.. thats what i just resently started to do,study some of the classic greats like buddy rich,john bonham,neil peart, and loads of others.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:52 pm

Wi ll not talk about any overrated drummes because I believe that VERY FEW create such hype and that if you got to know them maybe, just maybe you would discover such.
I know that there are exceptions but they are few and far between.

As for unterrated I have just one response, JERRY GASKILL
I am a big King's-X fan and I will say for all to hear that listening to him has affected my playing in the most positive way possible.
I know that King's-X does not get any airplay and they are not 'popular' but if you take the time to listen to ANY of their records will be blown away. If you can find it look for the tracks..

WE WERE BORN TO BE LOVED and the live version of JOHNNY

absolutely UNREAL!!!!!

Here are two album covers for you, from my favorite albums of theirs

Self-titled

Ogre Tones

Last edited by sharkscott on Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
TamaSwngstr121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:13 pm

honestly i think Travis Barker is one of the most over rated drummers

I know that Chris Adler isnt really in a way "underrated" but i think he really is
basketcase368
new
new

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:24 pm

phee wrote:Travis Barker is a close runner up. Okay dude, we know you're fast, can you just play something that matches the song now?

I know im alittle late but this topic came up in one of my conversations with my drum instructor and i think this just sums up all we talked about today... Ya he is overrated but i still like him
ghost_note
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:18 pm

The most underated drummer to me would have to be LP of yellowcard....I mean his speed is amazing....

The most over rated drummer would have to be Tre Cool....he sux! he plays the same thngs over and over again!!
Binky...
"X" marks the spot
sirdrumalot
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:04 pm

too the kid who said chris adler is underated. no he sucks im sorry. he even says hes not a drummer hes an aspiring guitar player. people in the metal core like him arnt good. jason bitner is also and awful drummer. just cause you go to berkly for drums doesnt make you good. and he isnt.

im not gonna say hes under or overrated but thomas lang is a god. he is a machine but i dont care hes insane. anyone who can do what he does is just crazy

one more most overrated drummer is zoro. good style but hes not all what everyone hypes him up to be.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:30 pm

sirdrumalot wrote:too the kid who said chris adler is underated. no he sucks im sorry. he even says hes not a drummer hes an aspiring guitar player. people in the metal core like him arnt good. jason bitner is also and awful drummer. just cause you go to berkly for drums doesnt make you good. and he isnt.

im not gonna say hes under or overrated but thomas lang is a god. he is a machine but i dont care hes insane. anyone who can do what he does is just crazy

one more most overrated drummer is zoro. good style but hes not all what everyone hypes him up to be.

Lose something?

(jk) ;)

- Papa Jo Jones