drumline?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

drumart.79
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:22 am

drumline was definitely one of my most favorite things ever and it's probably the main reson for me being in bands today. still trying to figure out how to start that all drums band and have enough room on tiny little stages...
LadyThunder
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:02 am

I marched for 4 years in HS as bassline captain, as well as a few seasons of winterline, I just couldn't seem to shake the feeling I got from marching bass. Those were some of the best memories of my life. All the long hours we spent in the heat of the sun, working our asses off & those tense moments arising before competitions... Even though it seems like yesterday that I was breaking out the bass and puttin on my blue camo cover and marching out in the mud... its been a little over five years since i've marched.

I will never lose that feeling, love, and passion for drumlines & corps. It will stick with me for the rest of my days...
Pearl Drums
Pork Pie Snare & Throne
Evans EC2 Coated, EMAD 2 & Aquarian High Energy
DW Pedals & Pearl Hardware
Zildjian A Custom & Wuhan
25" Vintage Ludwig Timpani
Vater 3a Fatbacks NT & Ahead
EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:45 am

i live in a small town and im the only person that plays snare. we have 1 snare, 1 bass drum, and 1 tri-tom (not quads). but yeah it was fun and i miss it. i also played the trap set.
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:16 am

i played quads(actually had 5) my freshmen year in highschool which i guess was a huge accomplishment cuz before me there was only one other freshmen to play quads that my instructors had taught.

i loved it at first but having 9am to 9pm rehersals on saturdays really took the fun out of it. especially the time we played for like 6hours straight no breaks. and those quads are fucking heavy. we used stands for the most part but that day apparently they wanted to be dicks about it.

i distinctly remember everyone looking exhausted and we had to stay poised straight up, mouth closed, eyes straight forward. at the end of that 6 hour session or so our instructor basically growled at us saying"YEAH, YOU FEEL THAT?!?!?! THATS WHAT DRUM CORP FEELS LIKE!!!" i was like F**K you dude im a freshmen in highschool!

i only made it halfway through winter drumline before i quit and now i wish i hadnt because i think it would have made me a much better drummer.
drummert2k

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:00 pm

iatemygoat wrote:i played quads(actually had 5) my freshmen year in highschool which i guess was a huge accomplishment cuz before me there was only one other freshmen to play quads that my instructors had taught.

i loved it at first but having 9am to 9pm rehersals on saturdays really took the fun out of it. especially the time we played for like 6hours straight no breaks. and those quads are fucking heavy. we used stands for the most part but that day apparently they wanted to be dicks about it.

i distinctly remember everyone looking exhausted and we had to stay poised straight up, mouth closed, eyes straight forward. at the end of that 6 hour session or so our instructor basically growled at us saying"YEAH, YOU FEEL THAT?!?!?! THATS WHAT DRUM CORP FEELS LIKE!!!" i was like F**K you dude im a freshmen in highschool!

i only made it halfway through winter drumline before i quit and now i wish i hadnt because i think it would have made me a much better drummer.

i hear ya on that. i played the quints my freshman and sophmore year in highschool. and during the summer when we practiced monday through saturday from 9am-9pm, my back would be killing me. standing there in the "set" position until the caption head lets you break was the worst. lucky for me i went to snare my junior and senior years. after playing the quints those snares felt like you were wearing nothing at all. although i loved every minutes of it all four years so i cant complain.
Joezeppi
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:55 pm

I was in high school drumline in this order: bass drum, snare, quads. Although for me my experience wasn't just for football games and concert performances. Down in New Orleans we have Mardi Gras and all of the local high school bands perform in several parades. It was a grueling experience marching in 5 different parades within two weeks averaging 5 to 6 miles, all the while dealing with occaisional rain, screaming drunk people and getting hit by beads!
stump

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:30 pm

I played quads way back when and still miss it. I will say that drumline helped me tremendously with the basics and fundementals of drums. I also played in jazz and cocert bands which helped with different styles and reading music.
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

andybfrank
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:29 am

I was center snare/drumline captain in high school and college. I also played tenors in high school. I'd love to be able to be on a bass line, but I'm getting pretty old. I'm going back for a music degree and turning down a marching band scholarship. It was fun, but I'm ready to move on and I'm too old to be carrying around a drum all day.
drumshark
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:08 pm

My last day of school was today, and i played tris and quads, im not playing in highschool cuz its a hard core band scool and im not that into the drum line, but it was fun
6 Peice Hohner
13, 14, 16, 16 inch toms
22x15 inch Bass
20 inch, 16 inch Sabian
20inch, 16 inch, and 14 inch Zildjian
Zildjian Hi-Hat
drumshark
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:08 pm

My last day of school was today, and i played tris and quads, im not playing in highschool cuz its a hard core band scool and im not that into the drum line, but it was fun
6 Peice Hohner
13, 14, 16, 16 inch toms
22x15 inch Bass
20 inch, 16 inch Sabian
20inch, 16 inch, and 14 inch Zildjian
Zildjian Hi-Hat