drumline?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:13 pm

do we have any center snares in the house? how bout any quad players? i was center snare for my high school and i must say heres nothing like having a clean snare line to me.band may be for geeks but there was nothing geeky about drumline....5 hours of practice,rain sleet snow...well not snow cause i lived in vegas...i guess no sleet either....but you know what i mean.....that was really my introduction to rudiments...anyone else miss drumline?
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:23 pm

Yea, I really miss it too man! I feel your pain. I was center snare for two years and I played the tenors as well for two years. I went on to teach drumlines at two different high schools for 6 years. Now I just play kit for a living and I still break out the old marching stix and pad to work chops.
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
Mistajohn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:54 am

I marched quads in college, great for playing the kit.

Drumlines build chops. 'nuf said 'bout that...

Chops aside, the sound of 8 cats playing a clean roll cannot be matched. A good drum line that knows it's charts and the feel, and has chops, is amazing.

I have learned that having good rudimental ability does not always translate to the kit. THose are two separate things...

Rock
AMK330
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:17 am

i am currently playing tenor drums (acually my high school we use quints (5 drums)) and to tell you the truth i love playing them i was a snare player for a little bit but honestly i have more fun playing tenors :D
Hera
new
new

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:38 am

I'm also currently playing quads in my high school drumline (and I'm a girl :D ). We call them tenors...

Last year I played 3rd bass drum, and before that I was in the pit playing tenors. So far bass drum is my favorite, as the tenor drums are a little heavy for my taste. I love drumline, though.
Shaggy
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:04 pm

I played the quads in high school for two years. I was even drumline captain. Man, those were the days. Drumline is the greastest way to gain chops and skill. Nothing better than spending all your free time drumming.
bradlove
new
new

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:06 pm

awww yeah drumlines...

i marched tenors all through high school, played in a winter line for a couple seasons where we took state championships...then i marched snare in the college line and marched a div 3 corps.

now, im in my 7th (WOW) year of instructing high school lines. i can't seem to shake it!

i now live with 3 other drummers, who i met marching with them.

-b
Brazilian Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:58 pm

I march also, played snare for about 8 years, in highschool, college (winter and fall) and in drumcorps. I was also a tech in drum corps for a few years. I realy miss it, and it sucks not being able to go to shows because I'm in brazil, but hopefuly next year I'll be able to catch a few
Jimmyjd4
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:07 pm

I'm the captain of the drumline at my school. It's so much fun. I normally play quads, those are the best in my book. But snare is cool too.
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:06 pm

i think the best thing about drumline was the drum feature and crazy visuals,and solos,and fast tempos! i was really fortunate to have an awesome bassline behind me.just doin runs out the ass! hella
ROGUE
new
new

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:32 pm

Deffinitely nothin' but good memories of drumcorps.

Let me start by sayin' that I have visited these forums on a number of occasions since adding Glen as a friend on myspace and have found the reading both interesting and informative. It wasn't until reading this thread that I felt the urge to post.

It's been quite some time since I participated in drumcorps in any capacity but, like many of you on this board, I still get out the big ass sticks and the Gladstone pad and work the rudiments when I can. I played quads/snare in senior corps here in Canada with the Kingston Grenadiers and I gotta say, to this day when I see a DCI or DCA event, the drumlines send chills up my spine. I currently play drums and sing backup vocals in an original rock band and, as cool as it feels bein' up on stage rockin' with the boys, it dosen't really compare with the feeling ya get from playing in a drumline. When 15 to 20 guys/gals come together mechanically the way a drumline should it becomes one powerfull, intense, precise and to an extent mennacing machine...........there just isn't anything like it.

Now, if I could only get my 11 year old son to appreciate rudiments............but that's annother story............
drum4life
new
new

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:56 pm

drumline are one of those periods in you life that make you skile every time you think about it. the long hours on the football field in the hot sun. but after every thing you would not change anything in the world. it brings you close to people that obsess over the same beat over and over.
MyDrumsAreBetter
new
new

Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:17 pm

I am the current center snare at my school, as well as percussion section leader. I'm trying out on snare for the Madison Scouts this year. I just hope to make it on the line ANYWHERE. I don't even care if I'm playing the brake drum in the pit...heh.
Gretsch Catalina-5 toms
Ludwig Supraphonic
Zildjian A, A Custom, and K
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:55 pm

Good Luck! Let us know how you do man. I would have loved to march with a corps. I just never had the time or money to do so, then I aged out.... :(
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:07 pm

Well im on drumline at burges in el paso and ive got to say....its the best thing that has happened to me ever!!! im THE tenor player and section leader because unfortunatly we have a small line :( but hey!! more room for cleansiness!!!! :D theres nuttin like waking up to a crisp sound of a drumline in the morning! :wink:
lets drum fast and sexy :]