inebriated musicianship

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Kaos
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:56 pm

I usually have at least two energy drinks before I go on stage as we have a two and a half to three hour show I then usually have a beer or two. on stage it depends on the event if Im playing a dive bar and they pay us in beer I drink a ton if were playing the battered wife and children charity I drink water and leave the beer alone. I do not smoke anything by personal choice and I only drink beer hard liquor screws me up too badly.
bert
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:56 pm

I used to have a couple before a gig, but I found that it made me too relaxed and sloppy. I would rather use my nervousness to sharpen me up. But then again I have never played to more than 50 conscious people (I think)
MrMcFetus
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:02 pm

I'm fourteen...
Tama.
Zildjian.
Vic Firth.
Remo.

92% of teens switch to rap. If you're in the 8% that don't, spread the word!
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:54 pm

Some things I've learned in my 20 years of music biz:

- People who start out medicating to overcome stage fright are often the ones that have be medicated every time they're on stage. If you play regularly, you eventually have to be medicated all the time. There are a few stone cold disciplinarians out there who can drink a little all the time without becoming an alcoholic, but they are sparsely separated out there among the folks that end up in rehab. I've never met an alcoholic who didn't think they were in control of their drinking or the affects of their drinking.

- Alcohol and drugs may change YOUR perception of your playing, but it probably doesn't do much to change anyone else's. Just because you're feeling good doesn't mean everyone else is digging your playing.

- Nervousness = good energy. It may cause a few mistakes, but the adrenaline wears out and you settle in. It often translates to energy for the music and the crowd.

- Maybe your bandmates are OK with it, but in a contracting situation, needing some kind of medication -- alcohol or drugs -- to play is a good one to never get a call back and to darken your reputation. My experience is even the bandmates get sick of it if it means you're late for practice, you don't take the music seriously, or when it inevitably begins to negatively impact your performance.
Mike T
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:43 am

Kudos to all of you who choose not to drink before a gig..that road is a hard one and can lead many places ,in the late 60's and early 70's there were days ,no weeks,no years that went by and all i remember is setting up and tearing down.....don't go there it is indeed a lonely road... if you get a bit of anxiety before playing learn to relax naturally you will play much better.

I am not anti drinking but i am anti drinking for courage... have fun and play hard...
Zim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:55 pm

I don't do drugs and I don't drink before ,during the gig. I have played drunk/high back in the day but the performance was shit. I have noticed w/ guitarists in my other bands felt like they had to be joe 18 pack on stage and it ALWAYS turned into a fiasco of forgotten words and just jamming chords not sticking to what we practiced but to each his own I don't.
percussionmafia
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:17 pm

I don't drink a drop before the show but when the stage lights turn on and my alter ego comes out it's time to party! Generally the gigs you play will be at bars and the cold hard truth is that your band will be judged on how much alcohol they sell while you were there. If you have a good time so will everyone else. I'm not saying make a fool of yourself and get totally blitzed but you should be seen at least trying to get the bartender some love from the crowd too.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail. Your best friend will be sitting next you saying, "Damn that was fun!"
fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:06 pm

I'll have a beer or two before I go on. Sometime we'll get a case or two for the dressing room, but if I feel like I'm getting too buzzed, I'll stop drinking, eat something and drink water. I always limit myself before I play to a couple beers.
Although, if we're back at the rehearsal spot, hanging out and jammin, we'll have brew on hand.
One time I got so blitzed off of Jager, I couldnt play. It was horrible. Luckily I was just at a friends house, partying and jamming. I cant drink Jager after that, I'm stickin to my whiskey. Jager makes me sick. Thats the last time I'll do that. haha.
brian
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:35 am

i dont smoke pot anymore but i used to jam out with friends stoned, and i played at a nation wide jazz fest stoned off my ass, but i was playing guitar (man high school was fun) but now i smoke like a pack before i go on stage.
nydubber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:07 pm

depends on the show/gig/event. I usually have a few beers no matter what but I won't down 10-12 and get wasted. I can do a beer every 3 or 4 songs and I'm sweating so much and moving that it doesn't really hit me.

Now, at our singers b-day bash we played and all got trashed, we were trying to do a beer a song. Then we played Roxanne, while playing "Roxanne"...lol, if anyone has ever played the drinking game you know what I mean.

You almost HAVE to in that situation though - it's a birthday part :) We played a pretty sinister cover of "friday I'm in love" which morphed into "down under" and finally (don't ask me how) "beautiful people".....

on second thought, maybe I won't drink at shows anymore :D
Sonor Performer/ZXT Titaniums/DW 9000/Sonor+Pearl Hardware
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:21 pm

I play great with a couple beers in me. Don't really mind playing sober either.

Drunk's a different story. I'm a terrible musician when I'm drunk.
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:06 pm

I never get drunk before a show. I suck and it's just not worth it. I know I suck and it ruins the joy of playing for me. But I'll take a few bowls or a fatty. I think I play better and come up with more creative fills but I usually rather just be sober
invision
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:52 pm

i smoke a bone before i play anything, it gets me right in the zone and keeps me relaxed, i dont drink to much and havent attempted playing drunk as i know ill just fall off the chair.
christopherabruce
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:20 pm

I never get drunk before or during a show, but I might have a drink before a gig or during a break. I imagine being stoned is a better option than drunk while playing, but that too can lead to problems.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:21 pm

The three of us used to smoke before writing sessions and practices, and often take LSD before jam sessions. Before shows we used to drink a bit.
Now we're a little older and a bit wiser, and after reviewing some old concert footage of ourselves, we save the party for after the show. Now at gigs especially, we're all sober as judges.
Beat on.