inebriated musicianship

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Stixx
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:13 pm

I don't drink or do drugs during a show with the exception of my ever present bottle of gatorade but afterwards I'll party with the best of em I've never known anyone drums guitar or whatever who was able to perform at their best while being F**ked up and if your not trying your best why bother?
drummer619
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:06 pm

I think everyone has their own preference, while i like to drink and shit, but never before a show.... as far as getting high it makes me lazy and i don't like anything that effects me not wanting to play my set
Tama 4 Life
Bonzo21290
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:02 pm

i think a joint would help relax myself...
Zildjian
Pearl
DW
LP
Evans
Vic Firth.
JLoubs34
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:41 pm

I like a few beers before I play, I have more fun during the set. Then after comes complete anahiliation. Dont do horse tranquilizers before you play...
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:01 pm

well. i dont like drinking or drugs before a show. not to big on drugs. but the rare occasional jay isnt a bad thing. but NEVER before a show. i already got enough anxiety issues haha. but a few shots after a set isnt that big a deal. as long as i know i wont be going out on stage for drums again that night. i like to be top of my game when i jam.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
ytsejam1337
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:39 pm

I'm straightedge....so I guess I don't really have an opinion in this one =P
FunkyDrummer913
new
new

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:46 pm

I have played in all states of consciousness. True...a J before a gig, a beer or 2 and a couple of shots; then walk on stage... Inhibitions Gone! But buyer-beware...drums is a motor skill...drinking directly affects your motor skills...I dont need to do the math for you do I? Other wise...to the speedballer....yeah...your kidneys will start to hurt soon...I promise...been there done that...Stone sober makes for the most precise stick work and control....but isn;t always the most fun...feel out the vibe, feel out the others on stage with you and adapt...it is what musicianship is all about..adaptation. Right?
Less is More...Keep It Simple..Keep It In The Pocket...Show Chops As Needed.
drummerboi
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:13 pm

I don't drink at all any night i will be playing.....and i don't do any drugs soooo...yeah.
stonephar0
new
new

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:39 pm

I like to get a buz on, I'm a bit like Bonham in my style and I come from a long line of english/irish/scotchman that are trained pros at the drinking game. I can play hammered and I especially enjoy getting paid for something I've always done for free. It's a bit "rebelious", but i don't have noticeable timing issues or stumbling licks, in fact i get into myself and the music deeper than if I'm sober. I get too concious of everything. I think that's when the meter actually goes to hell in a hand bag......Cheers
stonephar0
new
new

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:41 pm

funky drummer is on to it, When in Rome...... :wink:
The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:53 pm

Everybody THINKS they play better drunk.

The reality is most people dont. Things get sloppy, technique fades and most people change tempos unconciously. With alchohol it usually means slower tempos.

I dont see anything wrong with one or two pre-show... but drinking heavily during a show is going to do nothing but make you look unprofessional and its also not going to show an accurate assessment of how you play.

My say is a couple is fine... but like any other time if you dont keep it in moderation its just going to hurt you.
Macko
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:01 pm

HAHAHAHA :D :) i laughed my ass off on this topic. theres a lot of tipsy drummers out there. as for my self i never drink or do anything before the show but i have a couple of beers or whatever during the gig, and all hell breaks loose after the show.
looks like drummers are good drinkin buddies huh?
torkid47
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:13 pm

drumbot wrote:My favorite is doing a speedball while on acid and three Jim Beam on the rock's. If you can be creative on that mess you can do anything, no, really...

Thats just fucked up!
My dear friend, Vodka is the only way to go wile speedballin' on acid.
Some people have talent, I just practice every day.

CASKETBORN
new
new

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:21 pm

:) I dont lke to play drunk because it lessens my stamina and sometimes i would find myself losing my place-and absolutly not during a show. Now when I smoke alittle it tends to relax me for a gig and helps me concentrate more during practice allowing me to try more new things.I never get to high before i play because it makes me hungry and tired.CASKERTBORN!!
Yamaha Stage custom 5-piece
Yamaha Steel snare
Pacific double bass pedal
Sabian B8 cymbals
Paiste & Wuhan chinas
DW cymbal stands
Auqarian Drumheads
Vic firth Sticks
bamBam
new
new

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:33 pm

hmmmmm, playn while sober, weird???.......the thought has occurred to me.
myspace.com/selfdestructt
los angeles, ca