inebriated musicianship

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

trav
new
new

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:48 am

In the "party band" I currently play for, the bassist and singer/guitarist drink. Sometimes it makes them sloppy, and those are the times people come up and rave about how good the show was....not alot of sober people hanging out in dives that we play. I record our gigs, so I can prove when they are sloppy and when they aren't, but proof is also in the reaction of the crowd. I don't drink much, and especially not when I play. When I was younger I'd drink and maybe punch a cymbal on accident and fling blood everywhere...great special effects, right?! Also, I can't sing very well after drinking. I think it affects ones voice badly when one drinks, but some are talented enough to still sound ok...not me! On the left hand, a dooby seems to get us all in the right mindset to groove and not "rush" the songs as badly, as we end up playing things faster than normal live...energy from the audience being the best drug ever! I get the most euphoric when people shake their asses and participate in the evening, there is no drug that compares to that, but a good nugget on top of that is good for the feel. Even when I was in a progressive jazz metal band, I'd poke some smot...but I was smokin when I wrote it, so...

Here's to all the designated drummers! Cheers! ;-)
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:11 pm

I like to be sober before giging, and drugs are a HUGE NONO!!
but if the drinks are bought for me, i may have a few :lol: :lol:

~Scott~
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
doozerdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:33 pm

i sometimes have a beer or to before i go on but im never drunk.i play sober shows alot to just depends where im playing, never smoked up before a show, done it at practice and i dont think i can play that way, good question
mydrumsareguns
new
new

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:45 pm

personally, i like playing sober, playing music is how I get high... besides the party is after the show lol
Johno76
new
new

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:53 pm

Personally, I never fared well when I was too messed up. A beer or two is ok. I used to smoke alot of pot when I practiced, but never before a gig. To each their own though...
GMS DRUMS
PAISTE CYMBALS
VIC FIRTH
REMO
retrodrummergirl
new
new

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:54 pm

Sober is nice... a little toasty is nicer ... it makes the *funk* ooze outta your soul from limbs and orafices you never knew you had. :shock: Mary Jane and I go waaaaaaay back, and I'm not about to turn my back on her before a gig!
Mad_cow
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:04 pm

Nothing at all, for the band me anyone,

Its VERY hard nailing technical stuff drunk.

elchris2k6
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:05 pm

ive smoked before practice, and it threw off my timing because i focused to much on small insignificant slip up, so its def not something id do again, but i get an adreneline rush playing w/ other ppl no matter how strong the bond, so i dont really need anything else to get in the mood.
drumkill72
new
new

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:08 pm

I can play fine with a couple beers in me. As the night goes on, I usually sweat it out, so I can have a beer per set generally and not have it affect me. If wasted, no way. Sloppy sloppy sloppy.
Peace n' Chicken Grease!!!
woody476
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:08 pm

I keep it clean when I play. My brother and his band will get kinda crazy before they play, and it doesn't really effect their preformance, it makes them more loose. I guess it just depends on the person
God Bless
SicStix6
new
new

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:19 pm

A buzz,NO...A Toke Yes...

I find when I am Jayed I tend to calm down and not get ahead of myself or the band. It relaxes me as well and eases the nervousness. :wink:
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:25 pm

SicStix6 wrote:
A buzz,NO...A Toke Yes...

I find when I am Jayed I tend to calm down and not get ahead of myself or the band. It relaxes me as well and eases the nervousness. :wink:

yep...that's my thing too, smoke a little fatty with the guys...and I don't get anxious/stage-fright...if not I usually freak out to the point of puking before I go on...

I guess playing reggae for so long will do that. :mrgreen:
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:30 pm

ya its not like i smoke a phatty and play death metal or something...i toke cause its appropriate for my musical tastes which include funk,jazz,reggae and ska mostly....now with funk it lets you lay it in heavy,jazz...well if youve never heard of a jazz musician who was on drugs then you havent met a real jazz musician,reggae...self evident...and ska just happy fast music with some reggae licks in between....and who isnt happy after a blunt?
1e+a2e+a
new
new

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:41 pm

when it comes to alcohol and drugs when working as a musician, if you can pull it off that's cool.. if you're so out of it you can't sit on a drum stool without falling off, there is problems.

in my experience, alcohol (one/two maximum pints for the whole night) is ok, it can loosen me up a bit and calm my nerves. for small gigs and functions no one will notice any mistakes and most people want to buy you a beer, so if you have one the night through it doesn't seem rude when you dont accept their offer. Also chances are if you're a working drummer, you're driving too!! Alcohol really doesn't help me while practising, co-ordination suffers a bit so expect flams and loose left foot hi hat work.

Grass for me is helpful for practising, once i've spent a long time learning new excersises / rudiments / solo ideas through repetition i like to have a smoke, put a metronome on and really zone out for an hour or two.. when i compare recordings of completely sober and slightly stoned there is far more creativity in the stoned take and very smooth transitions and fills. where on the sober take i tend to really overplay and 'chop and change' a lot.. however being sober is the best way for me to learn something very challenging, when stoned it is all too easy to go do something else instead.

Speed and Ecstasy and Coke all kind of fall into the same category for me, sure i have tried them all and played many gigs on them all and to be honest, like alcohol if it's just a little there's little change in the drumming, just the inhibitions, so stick twirling and crash endings are usually a lot more fun. However, take too much of that shit and anyone whos taken e will know, your jaw can clench up.. That happened to my hands and bass drum foot, totally siezed up for around 5 minutes, mid-song.. i was playing techno along to a dj at the time and i could only grip the sticks with a fist style grip, so doubles were most certainly out of the question!! I certainly wouldn't reccommend doing any important or well paid / connected gigs under the influence of class A uppers cos really you never know whats in them.. but again like alcohol with small gigs, if you're playing high profile gigs, you will be offered lines of coke and that may spill from after-party to your next gig.. and of course what goes up must go down, and that'll be your time the next day, sloppy!!!

as for herion or crack or meth amphetamines or the many other prescription drugs i have taken neither so couldn't comment,. but like everything else i am sure there are many musicians professional and amateur who indulge while working. and if thats what they do and no-one notices so be it, while not a huge nirvana fan kurt cobain while not being able to hit a note or even tune his guitar the actual timbre and feel of his performances contain chops all of their own, and not a 32nd note triplet within earshot...

alcohol and drugs are a slippery slope, and my advice is don't toe test the water cos you might get swept away into the deep end. they are on the whole counter-productive to people's health attitudes relationships and work.
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:57 pm

play clean niggys!! :D
lets drum fast and sexy :]