inebriated musicianship

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:32 am

Shaggy wrote:I don't drink or smoke at all. Even before a gig....it's just not my thing. However, before a gig I make sure I eat a good meal and have a Gatorade or two. Then I make sure that I have plenty of water during the gig. Stay hydrated.

Wow. That's exactly what I do too. Food, gatorade and plenty of water.

No alcohol. I get dehydrated way too much even with just one drink before hand.

I don't smoke pot anymore, but when I did I used to love playing drums BY MYSELF when I was stoned. With other people I THOUGHT my playing was good, but after listening to recorded jams the next day, they sounded like shit.

It's really up to what you can handle, and you're being honest with yourself too. Don't convince yourself you play better under the influence if you really don't, just so you can enjoy the buzz.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Keith
new
new

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:35 am

Defo no drink. The bass player in the band im in broke a string half way through our set and he never realised cos he was to pissed! Muppet!
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:24 pm

Ever watched a drunk drummer... it's tragic!

Best I ever did was after rehearsal, went out got wasted. Then we decided to try playing in our seriously mashed state... I ended up on bass... I can't play bass!

I'll have maybe a beer before a gig, nothing more.
SkinBeater
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:56 pm

I sip one beer to loosen up.. that's it...
Jon

check out my vids at...
www.myspace.com/shogun_warrior32
"Hold the red star proudly..."

Check out more vids at... www.myspace.com/shogun_warrior32
Stoned Gerbil
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:14 am

I've played or should I say tried to play in almost every state of being wasted possible! My band play alot of local festivals and we have been known to consume a fair bit of alcohol not to mention chemicals before playing. Now my band mates never seem to have a problem playing although my singer cant sing after even a couple of pints but when it comes to ME playing drums I've got to be on the ball! I've been known a couple of times to be trashed before playing and only the other week played the worst set I’ve ever played due to over indulgence! But that aside I think it can be good to have a few maybe 1 or 2 drinks before a gig as it relaxes your muscles and gives you more confidence. Everyone has their limits whether it is 2 or 12 drinks or even none! I've known people to play great sets when their completely wasted but I can’t! Its personal preference. But I will say never do drugs as this is a real killer of memory and you'll end up playing the wrong parts at the wrong tempo!
Yamaha Drums/Hardware
Remo Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks
Mapex Pedals/Snare
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:34 pm

i will disagree...i was in a jazz trio for a while and we were always chinese eyes...it helped us develope time changes on the fly...i just wanna say that for certain situations i.e. funk,jazz,folk music...its not a bad idea to smoke a jay to get into it
Stoned Gerbil
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 am

lol! Yeah maybe I missed something there! I'm always stoned pretty much 24/7 thus my profile name "Stoned Gerbil" the Gerbil thigs coz my surnames Gerbi! My band ALZIR are a stoner rock band like Kyuss, Orange Goblin or Clutch and theres no stoner in stoner rock if your not stoned! I think as I live my life around bud I dont even class it as a drug but more of a insperatinal aid! I was talking more like the things you swallow or put up your nose :wink: And your definatly right about the Jazz/Funk thing!

Everyone should be stoned and the world would be a better place! Anyways I'll shut up now as this is a drum forum and not a weed forum after all :wink:
Yamaha Drums/Hardware
Remo Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks
Mapex Pedals/Snare
polyrythemicgenocide
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:55 pm

I consider playing whilst drunk as bad as drink driving. Have one or 2 drinks at most before going on stage because, once you're done with your performance you can drink all you want, unless you have to drive home.
ONLY THE PROG SURVIVE
Drumfire87
new
new

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:33 am

Drugs and music go hand and hand. the beatles were stoned all throughout beatle mania and the explosion of the musical genius that happened during the 60's and 70's can me attributed to the consumption of mind altering drugs. Jimmy hendrix took 2 hits of acid before he played one of the best shows of his life. so music and druga are always going to be associated with one another. I do however believe that a musician shouldnt be dependent on a drug or drinking for musical creativity, but i can say that it does help you "feel", the music more. I also think that within the last couple of years the music scene as a whole has started to turn around from the no meaning songs of the 90's to a new generation of musicians that are willing to try something new and take the road less traveled. The last time something like that happened it was haha during the 60's and 70's when the country was at war and the people were frustrated, just like now. So are we currently in a time that will change music as we know it or are we just stuck in a rut waiting for music labels to tell us what to like?of course im talking about music as a whole and not any specific genre.
DrummerSean
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:37 am

I have to admit that I have smoked one before a show, it helps to relax me a little. I'm kinda a intense person, so it works for me. Have had no complaints from my fellow musicians either. I will say that I have just quit two bands because of drinking. I feel if u want to stay in the basement and play...get fucked up, go ahead if u want.... If u want to perform and get paid$$$$, then it is a job for the 45mins - 4hours your at the club,festival,party...ect. There is a minimal level of professionalism that u must maintain. One bad seed can spoil the whole bunch. You all must be on the same page to be tight and hit all the stops,odd times, weird click offs. A drunk singer,guitar player,Bass player...ect can reflect on the whole band. It can ruin a whole show and help to get u black balled from the clubsas well. Who wants to manage a bunch of drunks!!!!!

Regards
Shawn R. Simister
Owner SRA
www.sralive.com
Sean R. Simister
President SRA " A LIve & Loud Company"
sean@sralive.com
www.sralive.com
HealWithDrums
new
new

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:12 am

I dont practice under the influence, and I surely dont gig under the influence. What each guy does in his playing ritual is his choice! I personally dont like to alter the way I feel when I play at all because playing is my euphoria!
I dream of Spaun!
catkel
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:40 pm

I dont drink or smoke during or before gigs, firstly smokings bad for you and secondly i save drinking for the parties when im not playing.
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:40 pm

I pretty much agree with MistaJohn on this one. If you are used to it and can play with a couple brewskies in you, why turn them down? If your band is any good, people will probably be buying you beers anyway, and some consider it rude when you turn a drink down. Most clubs I play in give us free beers too, and in many settings, the band is expected to "lead the party" so to speak. But it is plain stupid to get smashed. Even after the show. It can get you in trouble with the club, the band, or worse yet, it can get you into a fistfight. And you may play badly the next night. I usually smoke a doob before going onstage. It seems to agree with me, but this, as with alcohol, is a matter of personal preference. Some folks just can't handle drink or herb. I find that I'm more relaxed with a little of each, but then again, I am a pretty hyperactive and tense person by nature.
yee freakin' haw
grimey mike
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:45 am

catkel wrote:I dont drink or smoke during or before gigs, firstly smokings bad for you and secondly i save drinking for the parties when im not playing.

drink is worse for you than weed is! alot worse! lol
bigbossman810
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:22 am

I currently play in a band that is generally known as a party band. We have a good following of fans and they "expect" us to party with them while we play. I have been trashed numerous times while playing, and as far as I know I have done OK. The problem became that I had a rather long drive home from our regular gig. After damn near killing myself on the drive home I now stick to water or soft drinks. Now that I am playing totally sober, I don't appreciate the drunken antics of some of the other members as much. However, we still seem to put on a good show. So......