inebriated musicianship

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Shaggy
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:53 am

I don't drink or smoke at all. Even before a gig....it's just not my thing. However, before a gig I make sure I eat a good meal and have a Gatorade or two. Then I make sure that I have plenty of water during the gig. Stay hydrated.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:06 am

wolfsburg6674 wrote:whats everyones feelings about drinking and/or drugs and playing? myself,i cant play drunk...but a jay before i jam is always fun.

I hate it with a passion. I hate other musicians being drunk or otherwise out of it at gigs and rehearsals. It's the height of unprofessionalism.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
RADAR1112
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:32 pm

Loop, You have great taste my friend!
pphunk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:33 pm

The band really hates when i get drunk before shows because i tend to miss cues, so i try to keep it to one or two beers before we go on. Then after we play i take full advantage of the free drinks.

I smoke the occasional bowl before playing, but only if the bass player brings the good stuff. :)
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:15 am

RADAR1112 wrote:Loop, You have great taste my friend!

The same for you :)
dim my eyes if they should compromise
drumobsessed
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:38 pm

Unless you're a crazy shitty punk band that can afford to get piss drunk during shows, never drink before a gig. Not only can I not play drunk (or even buzzed) but so much concentration and communication is needed to put on a good show in my eyes.

At practice however, if everyone agrees it's okay, no problem with drinking/blazing a bit beforehand or during break :P Then again no one wants a trashed drummer stumbling into practice when everyone else wants to get down to business.
CSutton
new
new

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:58 pm

I drink a few energy drinks (ie RockStar etc etc)...but sometimes I like to have a VodkaTonic before I play, just to settle the nerves.
Trick Drums, Zildjian and Pro-Mark oh MY
drum_bum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:03 pm

i tend to have a couple or 6 before a set.normally relaxes me a hell of alot because i get serious nerves.

once,at my biggest gig to date with my old band,our bass player had to give me a shot to try and sort me out..worked a treat.to be fair,we all used to drink alot before the gig itself.at the same gig,our guitarist fell UP the stage.he played a spotless set..

in a rammones/punk band now.guitarist rarely drinks.singer thinks he's a drinker but is all talk.bassist likes a drink and im called the alcoholic..due to things outside the band tho..im starting to ramble now.back to the subject

during a set itself,its a mixture of water and lager.water to keep me goin and the lager for the buzz..lmao.

dont smoke pot,so cant comment,but ill have a few ciggies if im in the mood..
anyway,thats my 'thing' for a gig..i dont judge others,so if there pissed then there pissed,its only there set they are screwing up.if im hammered then im told and sober up rather sharpish.
Mapex M Birch kit
Zildjian cymbals
Evans G2 heads
Pro Mark sticks with vatar grip tape
DW double kick
ineal
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:02 pm

Ideally it'll it just be one pint after sound checking, mabey a cig.

If i'm playing very close to home like last weekend i'll have about 3 or 4 before going on. (u know chatting to your mates and people that have showed up to see you)

bottom line - its upto the individual!

However. if I was a pro drummer i'd probably just stick to water stay sober and have beer afterwards because you owe that to the audience that have payed to see you.

I play a lot of death/extreme metal so theres not much room for wasting energy but I DO strongly object to power up drinks like Red Bull.

Once I came to set up after an opening band and there were 5 (Counted em) 5 empty cans of Red Bull, i just thought what a twat and settled my two litre bottle of water down and started to set up. You should be able to perform without energy drinks.
Fudman
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:38 pm

Never! I don’t do any of that stuff (ever), I ran as far away from that stuff as I could. This towns full of drugies and drunks and I don’t want to be one of them.
It's like stupid in stereo.
Fudman
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:39 pm

Dale wrote:
wolfsburg6674 wrote:whats everyones feelings about drinking and/or drugs and playing? myself,i cant play drunk...but a jay before i jam is always fun.

I hate it with a passion. I hate other musicians being drunk or otherwise out of it at gigs and rehearsals. It's the height of unprofessionalism.

just saw this, I agree 100%
It's like stupid in stereo.
stump

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:48 pm

I think that everyone has a personal preferance. I personally have a a few beers before performing to loosen up ( no dope here!! ). What I would suggest though is to have someone record your performance both sober and with alittle buzz. Never perform drunk though. See which sounds better. Note...be sober when you listen to the recording. Later!
rjbaked
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:15 pm

Anything in moderation is good. I usually have a ginger ale and a tea before,(for vocals) and 1 beer per set to get the edge off. I have played wasted in my younger days and I thought it sounded good. But what do I know.

Mushrooms is another story. Luckily it was just a house party and the whole band did 'shrooms half an hour before we started. By the third song, I couldn't hold on to my drumsticks, the bass player fell over, the guitar player's strap broke off and his guitar fell, cracking the neck. Never again
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:43 pm

Im not a big fan of drinking while playing. Granted, I have played my kit while completely trashed and I was told the next day by a friend ( who had been sober while i played) that I sounded so much better than I would being sober...so perhaps an experiment is needed...HM?

But for me, give me a bottle of water and a cigarette before the show and i'll be fine.
Vetis
clatterdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:17 am

I don't drink before I play, and very rarely after. With two people and 800plus pounds of gear it's just not worth it. Now some serious espresso the next morning I can get into! Oh yeah, and no drugs ever.