inebriated musicianship

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

jonev17
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:48 am

i have a limit with alcohol. 3-4 beers and i'm feeling good. anything more than five and my foot is all over the place. love a smoke before playing though!
dedrummervanrolf
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:04 am

I only gig drunk when there's free beer.
me: www.myspace.com/dedrummervanrolf
my band: www.myspace.com/rolfdeband
Gretsch, Wooding, Ludwig, Sabian. random hardware.
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:00 pm

To me alcohol and drugs are to music what steroids are to baseball.

I don't drink before during or after a gig cause my wife won't let me, and I can't lie to her face good enough to get away with it. As far as my band mates are concerned as long as we getting enough shows and we're making enough money; go have fun. But I'm not going to baby sit you or drive you home or load your gear or pick you up the next morning when left your car at the bar and you just woke up at some sluts house. I won't drive you to the doctor to get that rash looked at either.

I don't know maybe I'm a bit harsh, but that's just me.
My Gear:

Shine Defenition Series Drum Set
Shine Mike Johnston Signature Snare
Saluda Cymbals

http://www.myspace.com/xthelonegunmanx == friend me and say hi

Drumming is Fun!
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:51 am

TheLoneGunman wrote:To me alcohol and drugs are to music what steroids are to baseball.

... but drugs and alcohol negatively affect your performance... while steroids enhance it...
Mr.Smash
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:01 am

If my band has a show that we're excited about playing. We do a shot before we go on, I dunno It's tradition. And I only get stoned and do rudiments, exercises. Occasionally I'll play a bunch of songs I know well.
SINISTER
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:03 pm

I always give 110% while playing so drugs/and drinking are out of the question before a show, after a few beers are always nice :lol:
Live by the drum, die by the drum!
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:02 pm

drugs and alcohol negatively affect your performance

I think if anything can be taken from this thread is that there are many that would disagree. I, however, agree with you.
My Gear:

Shine Defenition Series Drum Set
Shine Mike Johnston Signature Snare
Saluda Cymbals

http://www.myspace.com/xthelonegunmanx == friend me and say hi

Drumming is Fun!
Eddie Money
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:08 pm

Wow, I just saw this thread. I played the drums for a couple of weeks just keeping a beat, and we were usually drinking. Then I went to a Dead show and dropped quite an outrageous amount of LSD. I played the drums for six hours and learned more than I did in the couple of weeks I had been playing. Whenever I play now it doesn't matter if I'm drunk or high, I still perform the same. I like playing a little stoned, because I tend to slow down and make the music more intense rather than just heavier.
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:33 pm

TheLoneGunman wrote:
drugs and alcohol negatively affect your performance

I think if anything can be taken from this thread is that there are many that would disagree. I, however, agree with you.

i'm totally cool with those that disagree. i'm probably not in a band with them.

at the end of the day, science would prove everyone that's not me wrong.
Dmgodd
new
new

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:45 pm

I used to manage a bar, so my tolerance is a little higher than most, but I can say that (from the mngr/owner standpoint) it doesn't really make a difference whether you drink or not. I actually liked my bands to have fun on stage. The crowd feeds off of your energy, remember. What I usually do, and will tonight, is drink beer with a shitload of salt and lime, over ice. It takes longer to drink, and it waters itself down. I typically have 3 of these in a night, and am totally cool to drive home, after tear-down. I also find that if I don't drink a little, my skills tend to be mildly robotic. Most importantly, no judging. I don't care if you drink or not, but you'd better not let me hear you speaking ill of my choices. Peas.
Nick Cetrone
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:48 pm

oh snap, never thought i would see this here.

i dont get "drunk" before the gig...buzzed...hell yes.3 beers gets me loose but alows me to remain focused.

practice, maybe A beer.

i'll smoke while having practice depending what were doing that day. set rehersal, why not succumb to your muscle memory. wrtiting, rarely. revisions, hell no.

and dont trip and jam if you plan on getting something done.....like playing a song. while looking down at my drumset i had an experience where the snare seemed like it was by my ankles and my hi hats were to tall. i was seeing everything on my kit (that was normal) in a very strange perspective. but i had a few experiences where an open jam went great.

ITS ALL PREFERENCE AND THE SETTING.
make the right decision for yourself.

but if a band-mate asks you to ease up, do so. hear them out, because they will usually have a good reason.
myspace.com/dimaura
myspace.com/nickcetrone
Dmgodd
new
new

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:04 pm

I used to manage a bar, so my tolerance is a little higher than most, but I can say that (from the mngr/owner standpoint) it doesn't really make a difference whether you drink or not. I actually liked my bands to have fun on stage. The crowd feeds off of your energy, remember. What I usually do, and will tonight, is drink beer with a shitload of salt and lime, over ice. It takes longer to drink, and it waters itself down. I typically have 3 of these in a night, and am totally cool to drive home, after tear-down. I also find that if I don't drink a little, my skills tend to be mildly robotic. Most importantly, no judging. I don't care if you drink or not, but you'd better not let me hear you speaking ill of my choices. Peas.
kplante069
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:16 pm

It all comes done to your situation. I can drink alot when I want to but I won't do so before a set. I've known guys who play great right up until they fall off their stool. when I played out alot I would have a few beers before playing ( always keeping myself in check). When I got on stage I always had a beer and a big water. In my case I was always more worried about the bass player than me.
Sudz
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:59 pm

Being that my band only gets to practice twice a week at the very most and most of our songs are structurally complicated (let alone 6 minutes+ long) I have to be on the ball during our live shows. I tend to have a beer or two but not for any other reason than I like beer.
Exzilibus
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm a metal drummer and stay VERY active when I play so I never drink/smoke before I play. To me its the same thing as someone chugging a 6-pack before running on a treadmill and that combination never really works out very well.

Besides the physical effect on my body...drinking/smoking DOES get me more into the music but it also makes me sloppy. Nothing beats a clear head for my drumming.