inebriated musicianship

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:10 pm

whats everyones feelings about drinking and/or drugs and playing? myself,i cant play drunk...but a jay before i jam is always fun.
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:21 pm

I'm sober when I play. It's a personal preference. Some people like to have a buzz, some like to toke up. I will drink after a gig, just not during. Drinking tends to make my anxiety level go up and I'm not down with that. Good Q!
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:03 pm

never ever.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:17 am

I never drink before or during gigs. It just makes me forget songs... :x Ohh, I can drink one or two beers during a jam session with friends, but never on a gig
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Nigel Letter
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:38 am

Extremely rarely do I drink when I play. Only if its New Years. Why drink on the job!?! Never do drugs.
drumbot
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:19 am

My favorite is doing a speedball while on acid and three Jim Beam on the rock's. If you can be creative on that mess you can do anything, no, really...
if it sounds good it is good
screamkevin

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:23 am

Hm. Unlike most (from what I'm reading), I have to drink a bit of alcohol before I get onstage. I battle serious stagefright (even after 33 years of playing), and if I don't have a slight buzz, I'm too scared to get onstage. I normally will have a couple shots of Jaegermeister and a couple of Miller Lites before a show, then I'm fine. Once I start playing, I don't need to drink anymore (mostly just water), but it's that initial buzz that I depend on to get me onstage.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Drumlord
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:43 pm

I drink some but never get drunk. Well, not "never". in 25 years of playing on stage I've gotten drunk 3 times. But I don't want to get drunk while playing. For one, I get tired easier and then the song starts slowing down. Then I realize I'm slowing down and speed up to compensate. I consider my timing to be my best quality so it irritates me to lose control of that.

I agree with many others here. I'm getting paid to play music and put on a professional performance, not to indulge myself in alchohol. The three times I got drunk was because the club owners were buying the drinks. :lol:
==========================
http://www.saturnkat.com/drumlord
==========================
Mistajohn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:51 am

I likethis one.

Well, I tend to have a few beers before playing to loosen up. Although I can play stone cold sober.

It's about the mood. I am not going out there trying to be Neil Peart. Chops arte great, but I try to connect with the vibe of the moment.

Sometimes I have a J. It relaxes me.

Sometimes I have as many shots as the cats I amp laying with.

I stopped telling people what to do (as in driunk or not drink) it's a matter of personal choice and responsibility.

Don't quit your vices. Make your vices work for you.

I don't get so drunk that I can't play well, that is a no-no.

However, drunken playing does work for some. If you play out drunk, then you must rehearse drunk.

Prtactice make perfect.

And old college band director once said "whatever you are gonna dop during the show, do THAT during rehearsal."

"THAT" extends to drinking too.

IT's all rock & roll, so it's all okay.

Just don't drive home from the gig drunk. You will die, and take others out with you...

In hell, there are no drums...
Drum Naked
new
new

Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:23 pm

I think it's personal preference. For mee I'll drink a couple of Miller light's not more than 2 before I play than I switch to water after I start playing. Then I drink like a madman after the show.
I have to be in control of my faculties when I play I want the crowd to go away with a good feeling about the band not "The drummer was so wasted he couldn't keep the beat.
DRUM NAKED..... YA GET AN EXTRA BEATER
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:53 pm

You know, another thing I noticed about drinking and playing. If I have just a little bit of alcohol, it makes me sweat like a pig! I don't sweat a whole lot at all when I play, but if I drink, it makes me sweat a lot. Is it just me?
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:52 am

I'm always sober during a gig and I insist on the rest of my band to be sober as well - I believe that people don't pay us to see how we screw up after a few beers ;]
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
ganeshgiri
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:06 pm

I rarely get drunk, I do have a few beers while we play. I like beer, but I can't play under the influence very well at all, so I try not to do it to extremes. I used to smoke out every day, and I was convinced it made me more creative and relaxed. I've been off pot for about six years, and realized when I quit that it made me tense and I played sloppy... it's a waste of time, and the vast majority of pros don't touch it or booze while they play.

Taye Drums Endorser
Paiste
Evans
Vic Firth
Boom Boom Percussion
www.boomboompercussion.com

Taye Drums Endorser
Paiste
Evans
Vic Firth
Boom Boom Percussion
www.boomboompercussion.com
dutch
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:31 pm

my old band and i used to drink like it was a sport! i remember one show (one of our better sounding ones) the bassist had to lean against his rig to stay upright! (i was sitting so i was ok)
my new band they rarely drink (singer dosen't at all) so i have a few, but nothing fun
dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:48 pm

i don't drink before shows..i have enough trouble sober..i do enjoy a bit of smoke before a gig...
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!