Holy Grail Of Rides?

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:04 am

I've played many over the past 30 years. Started on an old Zildjian 24" that was just huge! That cymbal belongs to my father and I'm sure I will inherit it at some point.

Ones that are near and dear to my heart-

Zildjian 20" K Custom Medium
20" A custom
Sabian Andre Ceccarelli 20"

But I am currently using two that really blow my mind- I alternate between them depending on the setting. In low volume rooms I use a Meinl 20" Byzance dry which has tons of stick definition and a real clean bell, then my current favorite is a 21" Meinl Byzance Medium Ride. Real nice and shimmery and has great definition as both a ride and a big explosive crash.
ganeshgiri
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:56 pm

20" K Heavy, 22" K Custom Dark, or this crazy 22" Paiste prototype I have for rock... the 20" K Heavy is the most versatile ride I have ever owned, I really can use it for swing one night and metal the next...

Endorsing Taye Drums
Evans
Vic Firth

Taye Drums Endorser
Paiste
Evans
Vic Firth
Boom Boom Percussion
www.boomboompercussion.com
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:00 pm

i just got my favorite ride a couple weeks ago, the sabian 21" hh raw-bell dry ride. im in a metal band and it can cut through or mix into the sound, i can switch sticks and it becomes a beautiful jazz or blues ride. best thing ive ever heard and the bell is killer.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
KevinThrottlerod
new
new

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:30 am

In my book you don't get any better that the Paiste 2002 24" ride. You have to stand in it to get the right wash but it just cuts through so well.
Andy Mac
new
new

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:10 am

21" A custom ride, so versatile., Iv used it for Light jazz work with no miking to the heavy rock gigs. Its got a good size bell which cuts and a great warm sound.
Premier Drums
Sabian Cymbals
ProMark Sticks
Remo Heads
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:02 pm

I go between 3 rides , it all depends on what Im playing
Loud Rock - Sabian Rod Morganstein Tri Top Ride
Mid to low volume - Zildjian K Custom Dark 20"
Pop - Zildjian A Custom 20" Ping
myspace.com/charettamusic
drums-Drum Workshop Lavender to Black Burst w/black hardware
cymbals-Anything that sounds good!
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
sticks-Vic Firth 5A (endorser)
Chirs-Ska-Drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:47 pm

anavrinIV wrote:i just got my favorite ride a couple weeks ago, the sabian 21" hh raw-bell dry ride. im in a metal band and it can cut through or mix into the sound, i can switch sticks and it becomes a beautiful jazz or blues ride. best thing ive ever heard and the bell is killer.

u read my mind. i just got it a few weeks ago and ive never heard anything like it
davidsmn32
new
new

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:35 am

me favorite ride is the Sabian Paragon 22" ride.
El Groovin
new
new

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:31 am

Sabian is where it's at for any situation...

My fav ride? 22" Raw Bell Dry Ride.
You can ride, ping, crash-ride and rake on it and it's always perfect. Chokes easy with a very warm yet bright! wash.

It's one of the greatest rides ever made from the greatest cymbal company to exist...
Peace,
El Groovin
Drummer/Percussionist

myspace.com/elgroovin
bugsx.com
allgoodthingsrock.com
RSmith
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:09 am

I use a old Impluse 20 inch ride for recording myself. Sure it was one of the cheap 80s Zildjian line, but it has a great definition to it's sound. I do have a 20 inch Earth Ride which is great dry ping sound but has no crash value whatsoever. But recently while jamming with some friends, I ended up using my 19 inch sizzle ride which is about 30 years old but the sound of that cymbal cut though all the guitar noise and probaly makes a very strong statement of using that cymbal more often. ;-)
tambudrum
new
new

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:16 am

I think if I have the budget I will have many rides; but lately I am using my UFIP 20" Bionic med. heavy Ride and more lately a Zildjian K Custom Special Dry Ride 21"; I think is a very special cymbal and somewhat versatile, but not the most. I also like the 20" K Custom Session and the 22' K Const. Med. Thin Ride Low.

www.myspace.com/tambudrumshop
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:32 am

One ride cymbal that ive played on that i am trying to get now is a paiste 24'' mega bell rock ride. Nice blend of ping with a lot of wash after the ping! :D
lets drum fast and sexy :]
cory1848
new
new

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:12 am

Mine is the Sabian 21" Rod Morganstein signature Tri Top Ride, such as work of art.
"I am an explosives expert, if you see me running, try and keep up!"
Darrin64
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:28 pm

My main ride is the zildjian 21 A sweet ride... but my real work horse is my main crash... zildjian 16 A thin crash...
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:02 pm

I'd say that if I could afford it I would have a 22 inch MEINL Chris Adler custom ride. That thing sounds soooo magnificent. Im a metal drummer so I dont like it when my ride sounds too washy. The Custom ride has an amazingly powerful ring with a hum that isnt tooo noticable while playing it at the same time as a kit.
Vetis