Most expressive part of your kit.

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:17 pm

Is it the kick? The snare? The ride etc... And why :)
I still can't decide wheter the snare, kick or hats, but I think I'd go with the hats, because you use 3 limbs to operate it, so you can get the most out of it :)
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:54 am

For me it's the snare. Gives me the biggest amount of possibilities to express myself
dim my eyes if they should compromise
caulkie
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:24 am

loop wrote:For me it's the snare. Gives me the biggest amount of possibilities to express myself

I totally agree 8)
Nothing is foolproof to a suffciently talented fool
tamadrumboy
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:37 am

Hi-hats...so many possibilities :)
Saturday, October 14th @ Desiderio's w/ "Vertigo".
Nicholas Plant
http://www.nicholasdrums.com
http://www.myspace.com/nicholasplant
bunnybunny
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:17 am

tamadrumboy wrote:Hi-hats...so many possibilities :)

+1 :)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
DrumKore
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:16 am

Go for the snare...can do so much just with this.
Drum or Die
Trash
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:54 pm

For expressivenes, I gotta go with toms. In every case they save any song from the same old, same old. Want a different vibe for your bridge without changing the drive of the song? Ride that floor tom, baby! I use 16th note rolls on my rack tom with great frequency to drive last verses of songs and stuff.

But then agaain, I am a totally new wavey/surfy kinda player.
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:56 pm

Snare is a valid comment but for me its Bass drum pedal, quality pays...no infact i change my mind, snare definatly....ok both!
Heresy! \M/
Mistajohn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:59 pm

The player is the most expressive part of the kit.

Become one with your drums. It lessens reaction time.

I try not to think of hitting my snare, I think in terms of what my mind wants out of the snare. The event (the hit) happens long after I am onto the next thought.

Go research some Bruce Lee for more on these ideas...
drummer_dude9164
new
new

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:54 pm

I'd have to say my toms, because with 5 of them, i can make a lot of variations, and i think it really makes my unique style
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:59 pm

Really, there is no one piece of a drumset that is more expressive than the other. It's all about how YOU express yourself and your playing. So, my most expressive thing would be me! As the operator of your instrument, you are a part of that instrument, as well as the most fundamentally important part of your band.
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
drumbot
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:06 am

ME
if it sounds good it is good
Mistajohn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:43 am

here's the "tesst" to find the most expressive part of your kit:

Re-arrange your drums. Take some things off the kit, or go play some other person's kit.

Play them. Do you sound good. Does your individual drum voice still come out?

This is how you can tell that the drummer is the most expressive part of the kit.

If you say "snare" (and by no means am I saying anyone is wrong), then what happens when the snare is gone? We've all had that gig where the head disintegrates, and we're left with toms. At that point you have to think fast and make the change up.

I have seen cats who can rock the strangest combo of drums. What shows is their musicality. These days, I look at drums as guitarist look at amps. The beat begins in your head, and no matter if you're playing the best DW or a piece of crap with trashcan lid cymbals, it all comes down to how the drummer swings it.

Find your center, perform, make the people dance...
drumbot
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:35 am

Mistajohn is right.

I can play any set, any drum, any thing that makes noise, (after all we are just noise makers) aluminium slides at the park make great sounds, although they are becoming rare, and any part of my body or any size stick etc. and make it sound good.

That's just it.
That is why I'm hired.

However, I do have preferences that I may go with, but on anygiven night, for any given gig or application I may chnge my mind and or try a new setup, or incorporate a new sound. And I'm always amazed when I see someone with a different setup or preference for that gig than I may have, and they rock it so hard, you're like I get, I see why two bass drums, or a mettle bell laying on a tom-tom works.
if it sounds good it is good
jayson
new
new

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:36 am

So my buddy Greg got me on this forum reading, so now I feel it's time to post. Why are we talking about peices or parts of the drumset? I think that the drumset itself is one instrument, not several smushed all together. I'm the most expressive part of my contraption for sure, but I view the drumset as one instrument, just like a sax player looks at his horn. He can get thousands of different sounds, notes, and noises, and all sorts of different tones as well. Just like I can pull a million different sounds from my snare or tom or ride cymbal, so doesn't that make every part of our kit especially expressive? I think part by part, each piece of the kit would have to be infinite in it's tonal and sound options, so wouldn't all of the parts tie for expressivness?

I'm not saying anyone is wrong in ther choice, I'm just saying to try a different perspective, when I did it changed and helped my musical color behindd the drumset.

I Look forward to talking to you guys.

Jayson
I endorse Vater drumsticks, Bosphorus Cymbals, and Your Mom. Really like using and beating on your Mom.