Tama Swingstar

You have a Kit that You're proud of it? We want to see it!

Moderator: Moderators

Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:51 pm

If I wasn't poor...I wouldn't own a Tama Swingstar.

Then again...if I was poor, I wouldn't own a set at all.

I think I need a new kit, but don't know what to research. Should I get maple or birch or fusion or standard? Its a hard decision. Right now I have a standard and its good but I also like the fusion sets, but they don't have the 16'' floor tom that I love so much. I could get a 16'' floor tom added but then I don't like how those are alittle out of reach on a fusion kit. Just ranting, its been on my mind awhile I haven't come to a decision yet.

All I know is I need something other than my swingstar. It did me good these past few years but I think its time.......
HEVY KEVY
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:37 pm

My first kit was a Swingstar, I got a great deal on a Superstar in 85 and still play it today.
If you only want it to look different, like I did, there are many things you can do.(shameless plug) If you want a better sound, shop around and compare, thin or thick shells, what kind of wood, I found one site that makes aluminum shells(they have got to be loud!)
When you find what you want, then shop for price. Musician's Friend prices are the same as Guitar Center sale prices. Sometimes the used drum shop has a nice kit with a nice price. I pay retail for
NOTHING.
Good luck, I hope you are in a big enuff town to have a good selection.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:22 pm

I think you have to decide what sound are you looking for. If you like the 16, stick for now with a 12 16 toms and maybe think about getting a 10.
You can also buy a fusion kit and add a 16 floor and play with 3 rack toms. Or you can sell the 14 tom or just leave it and if someone calls you to play some jazz music etc you'll have a sweet floor tom.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:50 am

Go for a 10 12 16 configuration. I think yamaha offers 10 12 16 22 in oak custom series. They are great drums! Try them out
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Drummer333lv
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:46 am

Im hella poor and i own a Ludwig vistalite clear set. Got that bad boy from some idiot for 50 $. lol it was missing a couple pieces but i've pieced it together over the years. Nice kit by the way :D
Travis Barker is the shit and your gay :)

Talk to me ... www.myspace.com/Drummer333lv
Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:17 am

I've thought about doing the 10 12 16 thing but I've never actually play a kit with that setup, so I wasn't sure about it.

what role does the thin/thickness of the shell play? never been exactly sure about that.
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:32 am

Potatoe Snack wrote:what role does the thin/thickness of the shell play? never been exactly sure about that.

thinner shell = more resonance
thicker shell = more volume
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:26 pm

the more plies of wood, the thicker, correct? sorry for all the questions, but thanks for the help.
HEVY KEVY
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:23 pm

Yes, more plys just like plywood at the lumberyard, means thicker, heavier wood. I think it depends on the type of wood that makes it more expensive. I don't have alot of research on that, but I can give you a few websites to look at if you want to see for yourself.
If you are as "thrifty " as I am, just find a nice used kit . If you can tune it and make it sound good, it doesn't really matter what it's made of until you get some money gigs and buy a new kit.
All you really need is no dents in the bearing edge,(where the drum head meets the shell) and hardware that is not rusty or stripped.
Go for names you see in drum shops. Obviously the kits at walmart
or the cheapest new kits in the drumshop are cheap for a reason. If you plan on playing for a few years, don't waste money on a kit you don't see the pros playing.
Cymbals however, can be fixed! Invest in a Dremel tool and buy cymbals with cracks and cut out the bad parts, or shave the whole thing down. I have a few pics on my site in the "tips" page.