am i wrong?

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:29 pm

i just..as of today got fired/quit my band...i am currently unemployed,so for the last 2 weeks i have been unable to make it to practice due to no gas $$$ to get there..mind you we had no shows booked.i call and leave a message saying this..the bassplayer calls me back as says if i don't show up for practice tonight he won't play with me anymore..you'd think being these guys are supposed to be my friends that they would understand and cut me some slack..not for nothing but i'm a little more worried about feeding my family than making it to practice...now i may have been wrong for cancelling practice at the last minute,but i was trying to find transportation to practice..

am i wrong for being pissed off..or are they justified in getting rid of me?
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
Drumlord
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:55 pm

I would say, if they are your friends and know your situation, they could have at least offered to come pick you up. On the other hand, if it is a professional, working situation where dependability if a major factor, then I can understand their position. From what you say, though, you don't have any gigs on the books and you've only missed two practices, I would tend to agree that they are being, if not unreasonable, at least unfair.

If you play in a band for the enjoyment of it, it sounds like you will be better off in a different band.
==========================
http://www.saturnkat.com/drumlord
==========================
dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:12 pm

thanks for the insight...they do know the whole situation..bassplayer is a hothead who's 38 and still lives home with mom.doesn't know what it's like to support a family..these guys are supposed to be my friends/family..i just think i desereved better..not for nothing but i book 80% of the shows,and one of the guitarists booked the other 20% and he's prolly gonna leave because i'm gone..so was it really worth it to trash the band just cause i was having problems and couldn't make practice....i think not
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:54 pm

I think you should talk to the guitarist and then talk to the rest of the guys. Tell them that you have problems and that's the reason you can't make to practice. If I can't make it to practice I just tell my mates what's the problem and tell them to think of something new. Maybe the fact that there is no drummer will inspire them to come up with something interesting? Hell knows. Anyway, it has worked so far though I know these guys for less than a year.
Hope your problems are over and hope you play in a band that gives you satisfaction.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
dutch
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:55 am

lame, they could of handled it differently
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:58 pm

sry late post...but yea things like that shouldnt happen within a band!! u guys r supposed to be close katz and koo with each other!!! u guys should be like brothaz....well things happen for a reason!! dont worry u'll find a better band! always happens!!! happened to me.... :wink:
lets drum fast and sexy :]
Howepirate

Post Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:49 pm

dude theres a problem there a band should be like a relationship it should be like a gf because u have to manage it and be nice to it and i think ur mates should understand that u need caring for to because each seperate entity cannot always function properly without a give take return environment so just tell em to chill out
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:15 pm

dugdrummer wrote:i just..as of today got fired/quit my band...i am currently unemployed,so for the last 2 weeks i have been unable to make it to practice due to no gas $$$ to get there..mind you we had no shows booked.i call and leave a message saying this..the bassplayer calls me back as says if i don't show up for practice tonight he won't play with me anymore..you'd think being these guys are supposed to be my friends that they would understand and cut me some slack..not for nothing but i'm a little more worried about feeding my family than making it to practice...now i may have been wrong for cancelling practice at the last minute,but i was trying to find transportation to practice..

am i wrong for being pissed off..or are they justified in getting rid of me?

Drummers without transport are a pain in the butt for the other musicians involved. I am not one to say whether this attitude is right or wrong. It's just a fact of life.

Feed your family first. Screw the band. There's plenty of bands out there and drummers are hard to find.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones