51%
nylon/wood depending on situation
17%

Total votes: 71
PureForm
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:02 pm

I strictly use wood ... either 5A, but preferably 7A ... but I go through 7A's like college students go through beer. I don't like how nylon leaves crap on your cymbals that for some reason you can never get off. I'd like to know why manufacturers put nylon on their sticks in the first place.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:34 pm

PureForm wrote: I'd like to know why manufacturers put nylon on their sticks in the first place.

Maybe because some drummers prefer their cymbals to sound brighter and want their sticks to last a little longer :)
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:34 pm

im really not into nylon...ya crisper sound,bright cymbals blah blah blah....if you want a brighter sound get brighter cymbals...for me its vater chad smith funkblasters or vic firth buddy rich signatures....but funkblasters are the mainstays....rich is for jazz or ska
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:49 pm

My current stick of choice is the Vater Xtreme 5B Nylon. It all depends on the drummer and the gig of whether you like Nylon/Wood. It really up to the individual and what they are comfortable with. I prefer nylon on drumset and wood on marching snare. Of course the stick size and all that plays a role on what tips to use as well. Either way....happy drummings!
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:02 pm

wolfsburg6674 wrote:im really not into nylon...ya crisper sound,bright cymbals blah blah blah....if you want a brighter sound get brighter cymbals...

I think it's cheaper and more comfortable to just switch sticks. If I needed a bright and a dark sound or a dark washy sizzly sound and a bright sweet sound? For either cases I would have to carry 2 rides, very similar in character. But in my case I just switch sticks- light thin hardbeam stick with small wooden tip as opposed to thicker hickory stick with a nylon tip.
Another example- lets say you love the dark sound when you crash you cymbals, but you want a bighter attack to complement their crash sound? Another situation when nylon tips come in handy. You get a bright pingy attack but the sustain and all the other characteristics are of a dark cymbal. I love it.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
wg93081
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:20 pm

I'm starting to be a fan of the nylon tip not only because of Mike, but because they give off suck a brilliant sound on the cymbals and hi-hats!
Will Geronimo
Drums, Cymbals, Percussion
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:46 am

only wood :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
drum_bum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:55 am

personally i prefer nylon tips but i use wood tipped sticks every now and then..think it all really depends on the music/style/ situation u are playing in.
Mapex M Birch kit
Zildjian cymbals
Evans G2 heads
Pro Mark sticks with vatar grip tape
DW double kick
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:54 am

i use wood and have only ever used wood because i dont like the plasticy sound on my drums and when i hit my cymbals, unless its a ride or the occasional china, i play with the shoulder and not the tip for the most part so the nylon doesnt even do anything in that situation. plus with the ride i have i get a very bright ping with wood tips.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 01, 2007 6:22 am

Yeah...I play a lot of fast punk and hard rock and I had to switch to wood tips. Currently I'm playing with Vic Firth PLS 5a's and I dont have too big of a problem breaking them but I got real tired of the tips popping off. I do use nylon tips in the studio though.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
CRAIGVT
beginner
beginner

Post Tue May 01, 2007 8:20 am

Promark Japan Oak 5A, plastic tip. Great on sound rides and china and for those thuderous rolls on the floor tom, go backwards, use the butt. As for hats, I prefer to stike at an angle and get a nice washy sound, and you can also play on tips for a cleaner sound. When I crash, I try to hit the cymbal almost flat with the side, to prevent stick breakage using the tips, or chewing using the side. The way I see it, I don't have a place I would use wood tips. I use I alot, because it's everyone's got a different grove and feel.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Tue May 01, 2007 8:31 am

caulkie wrote:Wood!!!

I feel that sticks are meant to last for as long as they can, if a stick is going to break then its going to break. With a nylon tip you cant tell if the stick is worn or not as the tip is always in good condition. With a wooden tip you get a better feel for the music you play, regardless of whether its rock/blues/jazz/techno etc... A nylon tip will not give you the feedback to tell youhow the stick is.

Wood tips die quickly in my hands
I chip away at them until there is only fragments of the tip
Nylon never lets me down and never comes off
Vater nylon 3a for me
There have been applications in the past where I used wood for more understated tone but the nylon gives me the definition that wood tip cannot
You say irritant, I say catalyst
matt
beginner
beginner

Post Thu May 03, 2007 6:08 pm

i use wood mostly because i play with freakishly huge sticks. vic firth american custom SD1 GENERAL. idk if they even make marching sticks with nylon tips. i only use the sd1 generals cuz theyre huge ass sticks. they still feel small for me :[ i like to play with either 5b or 2b nylon tip sticks cuz theyre big and hella good stick definition on the ride.definetly 2b or sd1 general for me. i cant play with 5A or smaller. i like to play with 7A's and watch them fly out of my hands. curse these huge man hands >.<
mattdoesrock
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri May 04, 2007 5:02 am

When I started drumming, I used to swear by Nylon tips.

However after having to use a pair of wooden sticks for awhile, because I didnt have any Nylon tipped sticks, I found that they were so much better. I prefer the sound and feel they give compared to Nylon sticks.

Plus, should I ever pick up and use a pair of Nylons, i can really feel the difference in wieght and balance. The Nylon tip, for me anyway, makes the stick feel very unbalanced, making the stick feel alot bigger / longer than it actually is.

Wooden 5B's any day :D
To those who understand, I extend my hand, To the Devil I command, Take me as I am.
kevin owns at life
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri May 04, 2007 6:45 am

depending on the style, i use wood and nylon. if i'm playing in my band, i usually use wood, because we're ska and i just like the warmer sound of wood for that kind of situation. if i want a pingier ride sound, or my drums to stand out more, then i'll use nylon. i tend to use wood for punk because playing at like 200 is easier for me when the sticks don't bounce so much of hats and rides. but that's just me. i'm sure some people in the exact same situation prefer the opposite. it's a matter of personal preference.