Snare buzzzzzz.......

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

dave lynch
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:26 pm

There are so many ways to help that buz, but to completely get rid of it you'll have to sacrafice something important..it's not worth it to the point of having a real choked up snare in my opinion..I believe that tuning and the drum head is your best chance..I have my strainer kinda loose so the buz is around but real light overall...When I tighten the strainer to tight it will be silent for all but one drum and then it's real loud and the snare drum is choked up..Yuk !!! You can also trigger it and have the snares off, but that's kinda weird unless you have all the goodies like the PA and Monitors and it's also kinda unnatural feeling..I've done that before and the drum sounds like a tight tom even tho you can here the trigger..!!
Not into all that competetive who's better crap..Just love to have fun when I drum..!! <|:O)

www.myspace.com/70275304
gretsch4life
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:04 am

you know what? snare buzz is just one of the sound characteristics of a drum kit. who decided that a snare is not supposed to buzz when you hit a tom? its adds a certain depth and airiness to sound. people that tighten their snares to eliminate buzz are only compromising the sound of their snare, the LAST thing that any real drummer should want to do. let your snare breathe... besides when youre playing your kit together you really dont hear the buss all that much anyways. but you can try out the equalizer snares from puresound, they work well without having to choke your snare to death.
BLS2112
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:12 am

Shalaq wrote:How do you deal with the snare buzzing when you hit another drum? Do you work to get rid of it or just leave it as it is?

Drums do that... :|
It's the nature of the beast...
However...
If it is horrendous, the snare side head (or other drums) usually could be tuned to a "note" that is causing the buzz...
Hence...The culprit can be tuned to a slightly different pitch...
Also...
If the snares themselves are not pulling straight across the bed the buzz will be worse...
Or, are worn out and stretched unevenly...
Try this: With the strainer adjusted "half way and off...Loosen each side (the strips and/or cord at the butt & strainer) and slowly and then engage the strainer half way then tighten each side...
This will cause the snares to seat at a more "direct pull"...
I personally de-tune the two tension rods on each side of the snare-bed (On each side...Strainer & butt) a half turn comparative to the others...
Many players do this...Careful with die-cast hoops, they're less giving and can cause rods to vibrate loose and fall out...(I use die-cast on top only, similar to the Stewart Copland snares...Makes sense)
I have talked to others that do just the opposite with the snare-bed rods...Tightening the two rods at each bed respectively...Simon Phillips and Cobham for example...
Also (again)...
Factory snare wire usually kind of sucks...(With the exception of Yamaha, Sonor, DW and high end stuff from other companies)
Try some Puresounds...Pretty cheap and an incredible improvement...Can make an inexpensive snare sound great...
I also "snip off" the two "outside" wires on each side of the snare strands "on purpose"...
In which seems to pull the strands more evenly...
But...I only go through "all this trouble" on my main recording/session "studio rat" snare drums...
Live is live...The "stage" will probably "buzz" or more likely be hollow and "rumble"... :roll:

All the best and good luck...Barrie :wink:
Last edited by BLS2112 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yamaha Beech Custom, old Ludwig Supra-Phonic, Black Beauties or Ocheltree snares, Zildjian, DW pedals, Vic Firth 3A/5A/or 8D dependent on music & mood, and Pearl Racks..."Mainly"
And Microsoft free...
Buenos Nochas Meinen Freunden... ';o]
Blitzer135
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:33 am

exatly so all you do is ignore it
FastEddie
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:09 am

FiestyRedDrummEr wrote:Can't really avoid it. sorry.

tells you how much you know about your set.anyways sometimes would will get a buzz. if you know how to tune your snare, tighten the snares down, and what kind you getis a factr. you can also buy different snare attactments or snares that will stop the buzz and give you a high end pop. try looking at rythem tech they make snares with a plastic attactment and they use nylon snares which sound really good.
wishing to be signed
loogy
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:28 am

I've found that loosening the 4 bottom tension rods adjascent to the snare strainer works pretty well for me.
SGarrett

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:40 pm

FastEddie wrote:
FiestyRedDrummEr wrote:Can't really avoid it. sorry.

tells you how much you know about your set.anyways sometimes would will get a buzz. if you know how to tune your snare, tighten the snares down, and what kind you getis a factr. you can also buy different snare attactments or snares that will stop the buzz and give you a high end pop. try looking at rythem tech they make snares with a plastic attactment and they use nylon snares which sound really good.

Hahaha. I'd say that someone who's going after a Masters in Music knows their set. ;)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
christopherabruce
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:28 pm

Very good way to look at it. I've never had a bandmate or sound engineer complain about snare buzz. If you're playing solo drums or in a small, un-amplified group playing open, quiet and/or delicate music, then you might have to be concerned about controlling snare buzz.

SGarrett wrote:You guys are talking like there's a way to completely get rid of sympathetic hum. Unless you sacrifice sound quality, you're always going to have some...especially on stage. It doesn't matter. It doesn't come through the FOH mix and is seldom heard on recordings.

That said, there are things you can do to help. Change the tuning of whatever drum causes the snare the buzz, detune the four tension rods directly to the sides of the snare by 1/2 turn (tuning the rest up to compensate), put a small piece of tape width-wise on the head right under the ends of the snare, or choke the hell out of the drum by tightening the snares too tight.

Personally, I don't really give a damn. My drums are tuned where I want them, my snare is loose enough to give a full bodied attack, and not even professional engineers have complained. The only thing I do is detune those four tension rods. Snare drums are supposed to buzz.
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:59 am

i recorded in the studio, n on one track the snare buzz pretty much ruined the track. so id say , get rid of the buzz with moon gel or tape. saves time
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads
Blitzer135
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:28 am

plus its got sommat to do with the frequancy of the drum. i dunno what it means but i read somewhere