Snare buzzzzzz.......

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:14 pm

How do you deal with the snare buzzing when you hit another drum? Do you work to get rid of it or just leave it as it is?
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Carter
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:13 am

In my opinion it's just worthless to try to get rid of the snare buzz. I leave it as it is because when I play with a band I don't hear the buzz at all:)
Tama drums!
TLT1
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:59 am

I try to minimize the buzz as much as possible. When I'm playing with the band i dont hear it either, but when it comes to drum solos, that buzz gets annoying...
Brazilian Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:18 am

wow... finaly.. it only took me like 20 trys to try and reply to this post.. lol

anywho!!

depending on the acustics of the room you are in the snare might resonate more...

but if your snare is buzing alot... thsi is because of the tuning that means that your toms are tuned to close to the snares tunning. I always try to have my sanre tuned higher them my first tom, that way I don't have anyproblems. and after I got a drum dial it got evem better........
http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/index.html here on the drum tuning bible the is a section on snare buzing it explaing why thsi happens and what you can do to fix it.

I have a metal snare and I use a emp X or a flamII (snareside) as my batter heads.. and Amb snare or diplomat snareside as my reso read
drum_r 4 eternal life
new
new

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:19 am

man about the buzzing......i try to get ma snare as tight as possible so i cant hear dat buzzz...i like ma snare as clean and snappy as possible
I LIVE MY LIFE A MEASURE AT A TIME!
Timekeep69

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:57 am

If your snare is buzzing when you hit another drum, that means they're tuned to close together. Adjust the tuning on both drum away from each other (one tighter, one looser) and it should fix it.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Mr. Pants
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:29 am

drum_r 4 eternal life wrote:man about the buzzing......i try to get ma snare as tight as possible so i cant hear dat buzzz...i like ma snare as clean and snappy as possible

On the other end of the spectrum, I take the tension of my snares down...it gives a fat bottom characteristic to the snare that I like, as well as eliminating about 90% of the buzz that the guitars generate.

This technique isn't so great for people who like a really poppy, tight sound to their snare...

Lants
http://www.myspace.com/casanatrampls

20" Hi-Hats are nothing to be ashamed of...
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:55 am

I just try to tune my drums not to close to each other and that works well
dim my eyes if they should compromise
DrumKore
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:29 am

This happen a lot for before mentioned (to close tunning) and the head. I don' like to put any external muffing in my head so I always take the one that have it internal, those that doesn't have will have that buzz unless you play a lot with the tune. Evan's Reverse Power dot have help me with that problem a lot.
Drum or Die
Blitzer135
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:39 am

just ignore it, when you play with a band or with the rest of the kit it goes
stump

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:51 am

Blitzer135 wrote:just ignore it, when you play with a band or with the rest of the kit it goes

No! Don't ignore it. Tune properly and fix the problem.
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

SGarrett

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:26 am

You guys are talking like there's a way to completely get rid of sympathetic hum. Unless you sacrifice sound quality, you're always going to have some...especially on stage. It doesn't matter. It doesn't come through the FOH mix and is seldom heard on recordings.

That said, there are things you can do to help. Change the tuning of whatever drum causes the snare the buzz, detune the four tension rods directly to the sides of the snare by 1/2 turn (tuning the rest up to compensate), put a small piece of tape width-wise on the head right under the ends of the snare, or choke the hell out of the drum by tightening the snares too tight.

Personally, I don't really give a damn. My drums are tuned where I want them, my snare is loose enough to give a full bodied attack, and not even professional engineers have complained. The only thing I do is detune those four tension rods. Snare drums are supposed to buzz.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:48 am

SGarrett wrote:Snare drums are supposed to buzz.

The man has a point :-P I just try to minimize then deal with it.
FiestyRedDrummEr
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:36 pm

Can't really avoid it. sorry.
You didn't steal my riff, it was free.
natenobb77
new
new

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:18 pm

i would just tighten your snare strand as much as possible ..and maybe making the snare dampener as tight as possible too would help :|