Coated VS. Clear heads

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Which head option do you prefer?

Coated
51%
Clear
39%
Either way works good for me
10%

Total votes: 41
JimmiRock
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:07 pm

coated look well sexy on certain colour kits..but sound wise coated snare, and clear emps on toms!!
May i be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows i'm dead.
Llama_Dude
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:21 pm

on all my toms I have G2 coated heads and on my snare I have an S.T. Dry snare head, and I have a clear emad 2 on the bass.

I like the coated toms becuase they are very warm and I just like them. I like clear bass drum batters becuase that's just how I roll.
"Your gonna blow the amp man, and blowing is NOT cool!!!"- My Bassist
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:18 am

I use coated all over my kits. Top and bottom, just like the sound. Although always use clear batter on the kik drum. I love the milky white front heads on my Luddies super classic kik drums.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
ciltzsch
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:08 pm

im still trying to decide which i like better. ive always kind of preferred the sound of clear heads, i can never really get the sound im looking for out of coated heads, probably because i suck at tuning. The only coated heads i have on my kit right now are on the snare (always) and the rack tom. I just bought a Remo coated emporer for the batter and its already starting to chip off, so it looks like im gonna be in the market for some G2's cuz all i hear are good things about them
king_friday
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:01 pm

i put coated on everything but the kick, clear for that
SGarrett

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:27 am

Coated for snare batter, clear snare side, clear kick batter, and black kick resonant. I generally keep coated batters on my toms these days because I'm doing a fair amount of tracking and coated two ply heads are nice a punchy. Clear heads are great for live playing though.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."