Do you play with a metronome during a gig?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

goatatl
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:55 am

I play in one band where the guitar player uses a lot of loops and samples, so it's just about a necessity. I use the Yamaha Clickstation with a pair of the lower-end Shure in-ear Monitors. They block out enough outside noise that I can run them straight out of the machine and hear the click just fine. I've never used the Tama, but I like that the Yamaha lets you assign names to the tempos, and stores enough so that you can chain together your entire set. (Of course, you have to play it in the same order every night.) Also has a external trigger input for Start\ stop function. I use an old Simmons pad to turn the click on and off.
G
Alexander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:02 am

I'll practice chops & go thru my books to my Roland DB-60. But I don't use it when jamming or playing Live. The slight, natural ebb & flow of tempo changes during a song is often appropriate to accentuate or mellow out the feel of music, methinx. It's a natural occurrence! :lol:
~ Alex.
See my Band "ToneDrones" & Drum pix @ 2 MySpace URLs:

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/tonedrones &

Me Self: http://www.myspace.com/alexander23
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:57 am

Damn these recycled subjects!! I'd already answered this months ago.

Nowadays, no. When I was doing a church gig years ago, I would have my tama Rhythm watch set to the tempo and I'd cue off the blinking lights. That's a tricky thing to master!!

But as far as playing live to a click, if there is not a sequencer running or some other reason to have a reference, just play drums and don't worry about being too perfect. Remember, they have been trying to make drum machines become "human". Embrace that and be happy with your human-ness.

The secret to playing good time is to listen to the vocalist. If they are comfortable, your time will be fine.
Last edited by BillRayDrums on Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
drummer619
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:13 am

nope, no click to a live show, less organic
Tama 4 Life
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:18 am

Not live, to problematic. I use one for practice
drummert2k

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:50 am

in one band i was in we played to a lot of samples so we really had to use a click on those songs for the sake of playing everything tight. i should rephrase that to say I had to play with the click in one ear while the loops came in and out of the other ear and just really focus on pushing the band to stay with me. it worked out great though.

i myself wouldnt mind playing to a click live. with practice and practice you can play live with a click and still get great feel. even push or lay back some parts while still keeping the click to give the "feel" of speeding up or slowing down on parts that need that effect.

if you put the time in and do your homework, playing live with a click actually becomes as comfortable, if not more comfortable, than playing without one.
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:05 pm

A friend of mine playing in a band SKREW who used lots of samples and loops, and he depended on clicks to follow the loops. It worked for him great and I would do the same in that situation.
For what I am doing there are too many tempo changes; I would have to tempo map each song and I would still have to worry about the melody players’ ability to hear and follow me perfectly. If we can't hear each other well (which is often the case) any variance can throw us of the click.
Without the click I can make slight adjustments to match speed so all the changes are tight. To me, it is more important to have the changes down then clock-like rhythm when playing live.

drummert2k wrote:in one band i was in we played to a lot of samples so we really had to use a click on those songs for the sake of playing everything tight. i should rephrase that to say I had to play with the click in one ear while the loops came in and out of the other ear and just really focus on pushing the band to stay with me. it worked out great though.

i myself wouldnt mind playing to a click live. with practice and practice you can play live with a click and still get great feel. even push or lay back some parts while still keeping the click to give the "feel" of speeding up or slowing down on parts that need that effect.

if you put the time in and do your homework, playing live with a click actually becomes as comfortable, if not more comfortable, than playing without one.
BrandonIzm
new
new

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:09 pm

Yes. I play to a metronome for three of our songs. They have back tracks with loops and other sound effects that require playing to the click. I have the Loops on my iPod with the loops on one stereo side and the click on the other. I then have a stereo splitter that takes the loops to the front of the house and the metronome to me.

The way I get it loud enough is that I have a headphone amp that I set behind me. Then Shure E2 earphones I don' find the click restricting at all. Once you get used to it, its pretty fun to play with.
timmay
new
new

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:54 pm

I play with a click at rehearsal and i feel like I've become dependant on it so much so I want to play with it live. I just use a digital metronome and a 4 track berringer mixer as my amp with some in ear 'fatfones'.
lancettime
new
new

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:34 pm

I don't use a metronome live all the time, unless I'm playing with loops with in-ears, but I do use a practical device called The Groove Guide, from DrumPerfect. It has a trigger that I attach to my snare, and an LED display shows me how many BPM are between hits. (Consistent up to 1200 BPM with a quartz crystal.) At least it gives you an idea at a glance, of your tempo from day to day, because everyone has slight inconsistencies for various reasons without even knowing it. (Diet, stress, lack of sleep, attitude, etc.)

That's my two cents, I hope it helps. In-ears are definitely the way to go, to block all outside noise, so you can hear anything you need to.
Lance

email: lancettime@msn.com
drummerboi
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:13 pm

I use a click during practice and in the studio.... I bought some vic firth monitor headphones... (like 30 bucks)... and they work great.
killdrum1983
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:03 am

i didn't use a metronome before now it's been a month i do i think and i felt the difference immediatly it's incredible :D even my singer and the other members of the band noticed i was more tight. But i never used it live. I played a show this sunday and couldn't hear what my bro's were playing the click would have been great for that situation i think...
earldrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:24 am

I think using a click for starting a song at a specified tempo is a great idea that many touring drummer do today. Personally, I only use a click track live if I have to lock with a backing track or programed track. Also, I would rather use a perc loop because it seems easier to groove with then a loop.

The reason I don't use a click often live is because the kind of playing I do with musicians live is playing older styles of R&B, rock, jazz, etc. The players on these gigs do not like to be that locked into a tempo (i.e., they start some songs faster or slower depending upon their mood). So, my ability to follow the leader on these types of gigs is important to continue to have future work opportunities. But once the tempo is established it is important to lock the tempo down and not move without the use of a click track.

This is why I have found that playing with the click has helped me to have a stronger "inner clock" which translates to more solid time when I play without a click. So, I think we need a balance of playing with and without a click to develop our inner-clock.
lukethebrahmin
new
new

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:50 pm

drummer619 wrote:nope, no click to a live show, less organic

Yes I use click track for practice or in the studio, but live, C"MON!!! That is rediculous, when I am playing live there is too much energy for a click track. Besides if you practice with one enough you should have good tempo in a show.
stump

Post Sun May 20, 2007 10:31 am

Nope!! Hate using a click. I am pretty solid with my tempo and like to flow with the music without the mechanical sound in my ears.
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.