Do you play with a metronome during a gig?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:05 pm

In my last band, we played everything to a click because of our sequencer. I used a mackie sub-mixer and isolation headphones. I really didn't mind playin with a click. I liked it in the background, you can play a little in front or behind it depending what you are doing. Just make it audible enough that you are on time. And if you go off a little here or there, it's ok. It's just music in the end.

My new band however doesn't play to any clicks and is way more free. I have a pair of Shure E5's and they rock! They would also be great for a click. I'm still workin on my monitor situation. I would reccomend the E5's to anyone, saves hearing and sounds great!
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
dahlgrendrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:40 am

I use a click live occasionally. Usually I will use it at CRUCIAL gigs where the timing has to be on the MONEY. I also use it when someone is filming us, it makes sync up to studio tracks MUCH easier. We use it at every single practice through the first run, then I'll turn it off on the second. My band has a LOT of odd time and tempo changes, we are kinda of like a watered down Despised Icon with more Hardcore in us. The best thing I found for this is a Boss DR-670 drum machine. I programmed patterns for all the time sigs I need using a cowbell sound, then figure out how many measures I play before the change, then I just chain together individule songs.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:02 pm

I've been thinking about those Shure EC3 or EC5 but they're soooo expensive :(
Anyway now I'm using AKG K-66 with a Behringer BA400 Amp and a Korm MA-30 metronome ;) it's cheap and it works :)
However as the band is planning on adding a loop (I don't know if it will be run from a sequencer or a laptop or whatever) so I'm thinking I'll need a little mixer... what would you recommend?
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Evan
new
new

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:40 pm

I use a Tempo Ref. It follows me and I don't have to listen to an annoying click. Ya'll should check them out if you haven't already.

www.luglock.com
soliddrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:53 pm

Depends - when I'm playing for a gig, I'll get each setlist for the night and write the tempos along the side of the sheet for reference. Then, I program them into my TAMA Rythm Watch. For gigs, I just need the tempo for the start of the song, and don't usually use the click the whole way through.

When I'm playing for church, I have been playing to a click because the standard of playing is a lot higher than a gig. I just grabbed an index card and wrote all the tempos from the album down and now I can use that for reference if they change the songlist at the last minute.
Skill tempered with relevance and simplicity.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:56 pm

If I must, it's a Tama Rhythm Watch and I've learned to get tempo from the blinking lights. Playing to a click when everyone else is not hearing it is asking for a nightmare. You spend more time chasing the click than you do actually playing music. If you want to have good time, practice to a click. If you are playing to a loop, at least that's musical.
Jaki
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:11 pm

ive only just recently syatyed using a click.. i find it shit loads mroe easier to play in time... lol but its still annoyign sumtimes
Pure Deaththrash
drummer_jim
new
new

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:58 pm

When I was 15 my jazz band teacher BEAT (no pun intended) timing into me. I have become very anal about it. I have been told by numerous different bands/musicians I have played with that I had perfect time keeping abilities. I am proud of the fact that I don't use a metronome. The only time I use any timing aid is in the studio. I get 4 clicks and then 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on when the drums come into the song. Once I start the click is turned off.
Waldon
new
new

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:48 pm

I love playing with a metronome. I recomend the TAMA rythem watch. I use it with Ultimate Ears inear monitors. They are alittle expensive but it's well worth the money. It's plenty plenty loud enough. I can only turn my watch up at half volume. In my opinion, if you're going to play a driving four, there is no substitute for perfect time. The Watch is very user friendly and the monitors are not in the way at all. I use this set up with my pop rock band and I am working it into my prog band. I feel like if you are playing dynamicly, you won't sound mechanical at all. That's just my opinion. Awesome forum!!
genx3117
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:10 pm

i have a question for you guys... would it be wise to have a click going on through iso. headphones and then have some in-ear monitors going at the same time? waht do you think?
Endorsing Pro-Mark Sticks And Accessories
Playing on:
Tama Drums
Remo Drum Heads
Tama Hardware
Latin Percussion
Zildjian Cymbals
CooknessMunster
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:17 am

I have played with a click live. A head phone amp if it isn't loud enough. Make sure that you have a foot switch that you can turn it on & off.......the last thing you wan t to deal with if you slide off is a loud beep in your ear....especially live.
Jaki
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:25 am

i have done.. its good.. but very VERY tight sounds good tho
Pure Deaththrash
Conor
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:57 am

no my bands have way to many time changes to play with one live. its not that great of an idea either cuz if you go off beat from the metrenome your gonna have to spead up to catch up, and its gonna sound bad, rather than gradually slowing down or speeding up.
Pearl, Zildjian, Promark, Paiste
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:56 am

yeah, when my band plays live i prefer to feel everything through. we improvise a lot live as well, and that includes time changes. i still leave my click at the studio.
Beat on.
Naicitrom
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:54 am

free beer wrote:Never live, we use flexitime :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best way, of course... ;D!